overall
Brewed by Brouwerij Hoegaarden (AB-InBev)
Style: Witbier
Hoegaarden, Belgium
Serve in Tumbler, Weizen

RATINGS: 3922   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.49/5   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%
Unfiltered Belgian White, flavored with coriander and orange peel, creating a sweet & sour taste.

brianprentiss (702) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAY 29, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 3, 2008 I really wanted to like this beer as I had heard so many people rave about it. However, I won’t be so ignorant to say it’s crap, but it sure taste’s like it. I suffered through two bottles poured into a glass. The head was awesome and the beer looked great, but I couldn’t stomach the taste. I actually liked the Blue Moon Belgian White better. Re:rate - I must have gotten a bad batch a few years back, this beer is not that bad. In fact, it’s rather tasty and refreshing. I don’t love Witbiers but this is one of the better ones.

gsteph (325) - knoxville, Tennessee, USA - JUL 4, 2004
On tap at the Beer Sellar in Nashville. Great golden color with white head. Floral aroma. Citrus flavor with some clove. Not my favorite, but ok. Fairly palatable. Like most Belgians, deserves a second try.

voota (765) - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - AUG 12, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 2, 2007 Bottled -- Pours a very pale straw colour, with a fantastic frothy head and decent spicy aroma. Head retention was average. The taste of orange and coriander complement the slight wheat malty flavour ok, little bit of hoppyness. Clean and very refreshing, would have no trouble drinking large amounts of this beer.

wpp83 (64) - Athens, Georgia, USA - OCT 6, 2004
Oh the classic belgian white beer. Normal hazy oragne color, white soapy head, and of course the citrusy aroma and flavors. I am of course not a huge fan of the belgian white, or at least I have not yet found one that I like.

crizay (1050) - Brook Park, Ohio, USA - NOV 9, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 6, 2005 This is a very smooth and refreshing belgian white, but I still like Blue Moon a lot better because it has more flavor, I tasted no orange in the Hoegaarden but did get slight banana as it warmed up. Not a bad beer but if it’s sitting next to Blue Moon I’m picking up the Blue Moon.

snoot (286) - Anaheim, California, USA - DEC 28, 2004
Fizzy head that quickly recedes. Aroma is spicy and yeasty, a ton of orange peel in the flavor.

dortmunder (961) - Herdecke, GERMANY - JAN 20, 2005
Bottled. 750 ml. Cloudy, pale yellow colour. Huge frothy head. Lemony, coriander aroma, yeasty with something like lactic acid. Citric, spicy, slightly tart with, again, strong notes of coriander and lemon. A nice mouthfeel, goes down easily. But if this is, supposedly, the best this style has to offer, I don´t know what´s the point of it. The dominating aromas and flavours are added to the beer. Good hefeweizens have much more character than this and if you substract the artifcially added flavours from wit you are left with a yeasty, bland sub-par weizen.

shameusburp (171) - Virginia, USA - FEB 10, 2005
Not a bad white beer. Hints of citrus ride out the mouthful. Very drinkable.

Lou18 (1353) - West Paterson, New Jersey, USA - MAR 9, 2005
Tasted this one at fitzgeralds harp and bard. Poured yellow and cloudy, (yeast). White head. Aroma of yeast and fruit. This was pleasant. Not my favorite style, but good.

Tejas (1006) - Dallas, Texas, USA - MAR 20, 2005
So this is the #1 rated White? I don’t get it. Has hardly any aroma. Appearance makes up for it though. Crisp light & refreshing. Light spices & yeasty flavors. Palate seems to be thin. I prefer Allagsh White and Celis White when it was brewed in Austin over this one. Both have far more flavor.