overall
Serve in Weizen

RATINGS: 47   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.5/5   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Back in 1602 Weissbier could only be brewed by ducal privilege. It was Munichs first Hefe Weizen. Hofbruhaus enjoyed this exclusive right for nearly 200 years, thus holding a monopoly on Weissbier in Bavaria.

But even without a monopoly, Hofbru Hefe Weizen is a really special kind of beer. Characterized by its sparkling rich foam and distinguished by its unforgettable refreshing and fruity taste. It is brewed according to an ancient tradition and offers an alcoholic content of approximately 5.1% by volume. Savor the pure, refreshing enjoyment! FOR OVER 400 YEARS A CLASSIC FAVORITE! Type: Top-fermented Wheat Beer

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
illinismitty (2270) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - SEP 3, 2006
Draft at the brewhaus. Pours a nice cloudy golden orange with a pillowy white head. Nice banana clove esters in the aroma. Nice mouthfeel for a hefe. Flavor of wheat malt, yeast, and a mild notes of clove. Nice clean zesty finish. Very solid, best beer of the night. To make this great in my book, it just needs a little more boldness in the flavor and finish, and a bit more sweetness. Just a personal though. I would have no problem drinking this again.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
3fourths (9207) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - AUG 21, 2006
Draught at the brewery. Has a proper hefeweizen appearance: soft and cloudy yellow colored body with a tall white head. Sour esters in the nose, with some celery and lactic notes. Funky sour cheese and banana flavors abound in this hefeweizen, and it actually tastes a little strange compared to style definitions. Not the classic German hefeweizen, but still tasty and certainly drinkable. Funky is a good word for this beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
SpringsLicker (3479) - Tennessee, USA - AUG 20, 2006
Properly cloudy with a tall dense white head. The nose is vibrantly full of clove at first then smooth banana. Just the right amount of malt sweetness before a tasty wheat tang in the finish. Full bodied and filling. One of the better Hefes Ive had recently.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Kevin (2193) - New Mexico, USA - JUN 20, 2006
Tap. Clouded yellow with a thick lasting head. Uh-oh, Ive been spotted, some guy just came over to the bar and introduced himself, he saw my gabf shirt and my fat ass sitting here reading a book and scribbling notes, and thought I was a brewer, I told him, no just a beer geek, I think he put it all together, that I was taking notes on the beer, not the book (I was doing both, Michael Marshall Smith writes some great lines that I do note down in the other section of my notebook) he tries to lead me toward the darker beers, saying the dunkel, which I just had is the best, Im disagreeing, this right here is just what I need after a few hours in the sun. I should have written his name down, damnnit! Aroma of burnt matches and warm lemon juice that made my mouth water a bit. Wow, this is exactly what I needed to quench that rawness in me for a bit. Nice wheat flavor that is sweet and satisfying. Light banana bread flavor is great. Slick clean finish that left sweet banana behind and an assload of clove. Ap-4 ar-8 tas-7 pal-5 ov-17

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
aracauna (3531) - Georgia, USA - JUN 13, 2006
This pours a hazy yellow with a good white head. Good sweet banana esters fill up the aroma. Wheat is a little light. Body and flavor could use a little ramping up.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
wxman (1755) - OFallon, Illinois, USA - NOV 27, 2005
I wont bore you with the usual descriptions of flavor, appearance, and nuance this go around. Suffice to say that this is a quality south German Weizen not unlike what we import in bottles and drink with regularity in the US. It has the expected balance between yeast and spice that we expect. The difference here is, it is fresh at the brewery in Newport. Brewed the same as the facility in Munchen. An excellent representation of the style, and as good or better than most American offerings. In the summer I could have drank three liters! Very refreshing.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
pivo (2667) - GERMANY - NOV 16, 2005
Hey, am I in Bavaria? Nice hefeweizen nose, hazy pale orange color, big head. Right banana wheat taste, clovey and spicy end. Full body, rich and classy.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
bethmatt0421 (337) - Covington, Kentucky, USA - SEP 17, 2005
I was really impressed by this wheat style german brew. smelled strong of florals, and citrusy. It had a very orange, citrus color too. Im not dissapointed in the taste at all. Not to much wheat in the taste. Mostly sweet and simple, but not overpowering with sweetness. Medium-bodied. I loved this beer. The best german wheat ive had yet. I would definitely recommend to others.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
papajohn (1249) - San Diego (Mira Mesa), California, USA - JUL 15, 2005
On tap in newport: Hazy yellow color with a medium white head. Light spice and yeast aroma. Flavor is light citrus with a good dose fo clove. Smooth and clean with just a hint of banana in the finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
barenada (211) - Georgetown, Indiana, USA - JUL 2, 2005
(draft) There arent many hefeweizens that I can say I actually liked. This one I liked. Sweet and fruity, with none of the citrus that usually ruins this style for me. Yummy.