overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 502   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.78/5   IBU: 65   EST. CALORIES: 228   ABV: 7.6%
Our IPA and Stout converge for a really great flavor combination to create a rich and robust black & tan. The assertive hoppy character of our Hoppin to Heaven IPA is perfectly complimented by the intense deep roasted flavor of our BORIS Oatmeal Imperial Stout. Two great tastes that taste even better together.

Cybercat (6147) - Georgia, USA - NOV 8, 2010
Aroma is strongly hoppy, with a background of smoky, oily mocha and hints of charred wood and brown sugar. It pours a lovely dark-chocolate brown with a VERY thick light tan head that hands around for a bit and leaves some substantial lacing. Flavor has the hoppiness and grapefruit hint of a good IPA, and the roast quality coffee, unsweet chocolate and molasses tones of a good stout. The disparate flavors do not fight, but complement each other very nicely. It has hints of both hoppy bitterness and molasses sweetness that are nicely balanced. Texture is smooth and tingly, leaving behind both subtle hop bitterness and a whisper of sweetness, as well as a fairly persistent fizz. The stout and IPA elements are all very good, and the mixture of 2/3 IPA and 1/3 stout makes them balance very well. I love both stouts and IPAs, and this beer has the best of both worlds. Bodacious indeed!

juggle330 (4) - N. Canton, Ohio, USA - NOV 21, 2006 does not count
This is a blend of IPA stout. The balance of these two great beers is trememdous. It is medium bodied with a dark creamy head. After friends try this beer, the comment is always "Where can I get more?"

weaselkenievil (1609) - Cheshire, ENGLAND - OCT 11, 2008
Bottle , yet another belting gift from the mighty Mes though I believe it may be from that bogan Duff. Smells like an IPA with a stout chaser. Pretty much what it is. I’m not going to try describing it, nobody cares about my opinion on this pearler of a beer. If you’re looking on rates and deciding whether to buy it, take my word and go for it. Best beer I’ve ever had? Quite possibly. Stunning. Wow factor. I love stout, I love an IPA so to have the two in one glass was heaven for me. I love pizza and curry, I’ve had a curry pizza and it was crap unfortunately. This was a marriage made in heaven, perfectly complimented each other. Loved it. Sod it, 10 for flavour. Perfect for me. I’d trade anything I could for more of this. Must try searching for this online.

Darkover (1544) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JAN 19, 2007
Dark clear brown color with a big frothy and long lasting tan head. Aroma of resinous hops with a little roasted malt in the background. Flavor starts with resinous hops, plenty of roasted malts in the middle, and finishes with bitter hoppy roastiness. Really good and drinkable too.

strangaj (250) - West Chester, Ohio, USA - JUL 2, 2007
UPDATED: AUG 10, 2007 This was the perfect mix. The hoppiness of the IPA is so well balanced with the smooth roast taste of the stout.....yowzhaa! Everyone has ’their beer’. You know...the one that they could drink every day and never get tired; the beer that resonates with their being......this beer is it for me.

17thfloor (2444) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 19, 2008
UPDATED: FEB 25, 2009 Pours near black with a nice creamy/fluffy tan head. Rich, but mellow, american hops, vanilla, and some chocolate malts aroma (sweet oatmeal as it warms). Dangerously easy drinking bear. Creamy slightly salty, citrus, roasted malt flavor. The sweet oatmeal is really delicious. Some milk chocolate, coffee and licorice in the finish. Milky medium body with soft carbonation. The two really strongly flavored beers combined sort-of cancel each other out and create something mellow and balanced. Delicious, I could drink this all day. [wouldn’t a more appropriate name be "Black & Pale" ?] 8.5.9.5.19