overall

RATINGS: 137   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.64/5   IBU: 70   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
HUB Organic Secession Cascadian Dark Ale, from Hopworks Urban Brewing, is an award-winning Oregon beer. The organic pilsner, chocolate and black malts blend to create a unique and tasty ale. Certified carbon neutral

AcctError110365 (649) - Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 4, 2011
Pour brown/black creamy beige head decent lace. Aroma coffee, roast, citrus, skunk, grapefruit, resiny hops. Taste pine/citrus hops, resiny hops, grapefruit, roast, coffee, chocolate, awesome bitter taste. MF Medium body good carb. Overall aside from a strange smell outstanding taste good bitterness and roast mix. Thanks Manuchampions!!!

patricks110 (2521) - Alberta, CANADA - MAY 2, 2011
Pour is a dark brown with tons of ruby red highlights. The head is beautifully creamy looking and a light beige. The head looks absolutely delicious. Aroma is hop forward with a large grapefruit hop. Roasty espresso, chocolate and burnt notes. The middle is sweet and sweet with a dark roasty malt and coffee. The finish is quite bitter and finishes with a burnt roasted coffee bean flavour. I love this beer as a CDA or Black IPA. Very sweet, roasty and hoppy. Hand in hand, they work together in this beer.

carboloader (674) - Houston, Texas, USA - APR 29, 2011
From big bottle. Some roast and odd spearmint flavor. Not much in the way of bitterness. Pretty bland and flat overall. Nothing compared to Barley Brown’s. These guys should stick with what they know best.

VertBaconStrips (2392) - Blerkablerka, VENEZUELA - APR 25, 2011
Putting this up head to head with a bottle of Fish Tale Swordfish. The colour is pretty dark with some red hues, plenty of ultra light brown bubbly head and some messy lacing. The aroma is an immediate mix of two things: fresh yet subdued hops and coffee grinds. Sadly I was really disappointed with this much coffee stuff. Fragrant and pungent, orange and roast, resin, light light chocolate. Ok, I gave up on this and drank the last 400ml of the Fish Tale Swordfish - there is no comparing these beers. Swordfish is hugely hopped and has zero coffee which for me is awesome. Now, the match up isn’t actually a fair battle as these beers are quite different in their make up but, hey, if you just want to look at how much I enjoyed the two, this beer would never be bought again. That is not to say that this beer sucks - it’s good but not as good.... at all. Wow. my dick is going to split in half like a boiled hot dog if I don’t hit up the can. HUB’s got some good flavours though - fruity stuff, lots of roasted malts, coffee dullness, big hard bitter finish. I wonder what the real goal of this style is... maybe this is a truer version and the Swordfish was just tastefully hopped. The last pour gave a great compact light stout head equal in compactness to the Swordfish. I think now that I only have this beer left it is getting better than it was. The coffee has faded and the hops are taking over... which is not what I would have expected.. then again, it’s colder now and yea, eya, that makes sense. Who cares? Now I’m enjoying this immensely. And I’m slurring my thought and I have a massive batch of popcorn coming up and I have the 3rd period of the LA/SJ game to finish on PVR with the 2006 Oilers/ Canes final to watch on replay. There is 1% less in this beer vs it’s competitor. I don’t recall what I typed already and I’m not going to reread it as I’m spending way to much time retyping most of my words. MOre pine and some spice and bite on this one. Finishes feeling thick in spots and thinner in others. A solid mean bitterness with a defined coffee malt aftertaste lingers like unwanted relatives drinking your liquor. I can smell the oil, that means time to add the popcorn and time to assume that I won’t go to bed until well after 1:30. I won’t buy this again as there are better options. The difference between the 4.1 Swordfish and the 3.3 here are firstly in enjoyment and secondly in bluntness.I wonder how long this review is?

ThaJuggernaut (309) - Washington, USA - APR 24, 2011
Wow wasn’t expecting hops when it pour dark.great full taste with unexpected hops

manuchampions (1244) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - APR 18, 2011
650ml bottle from Brewery Creek in Vancouver. Pours very dark brown with pillowy off white head. Lots of perfumey floral hops balanced with roasted dark malt. Moderate bitterness lingers in the finish. Very floral. Quality.

pintbypint (3733) - Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA - APR 15, 2011
650ml brown bottle. As "Cascadian Dark Ale". Pours dark brown with deep orange amber highlights. Compact clingy tan head. Dense lacing. Reding hoppy nose, pine notes, citrus. Flavor has biscuity chocolate malt up front backed by with grapefruit and grass hop notes. Finishes with chocolate and lingering grassy, leafy bitterness. Medium body, soft and even carbonation profile, quite a mild smooth mouthfeel. Solid CDA.

vacantskies (208) - Spokane, Washington, USA - APR 1, 2011
Slight maltiness in the aroma. The flavor is a dry pleasant bitterness. Creamy and rich in color.

presario (4916) - Stampede City, Alberta, CANADA - MAR 29, 2011
Sample tray. Dark copper. Nice dance of malt and hops in the nose. Chocolate malt, nuttiness, light cinamon and hop flavour.

Gooney (389) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAR 26, 2011
On tap at Big Al’s - Very floral and citrus hops scent. Dark pour with a nice white head. Tastes like roasted malt with a great hops balance. I don’t have anything smart to say about this. I just really, really like it.