RATINGS: 6   MEAN: 3.65/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.19/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 56   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
Imperial black esb.

Most RecentTicked By

BOLTZ7555 (3127) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - AUG 19, 2010
Live sample at Hopworks!!! Great brewery!!! The blackest of black IPA’s I’ve sampled and I’ve had a few. Tall 1/2 inch eggshell head that didn’t leave even a spot of lacing. Aroma is all toasted malt, caramel, and toffee. Tasty but not a ton of hops in this one. This is all about the roasty, bready, biscuity malt and honey. Wish there was more of a citrus bite. Still would recommend to try.

leems (406) - Portland, Oregon, USA - AUG 19, 2010
This beer was weird, big maltiness, dark fruits, hops lurking in there, some yeastiness. Pretty sweet and fairly boozey. This isn’t quite what I pictured when I heard Imperial Black ESB but it was tasty, not sure I could drink more than a pint of it though.

Nena (963) - Seattle, Washington, USA - AUG 16, 2010
Draft at the brewpub. The style description of this beer intriqued me a lot, but I was worried "Imperial Black ESB" was a fancy term for a stout. Pleasantly, it did end up being a unique tasting creation. Poured pitch black, short light tan head. Aroma is kind of boozy with roast and coffee, butterscotch, a slight whiff of fruit underneath, almost banana-ish but not quite. Overall, this tastes most like a combination of coffee, butterscotch, and toast. There’s a slight acidity and a hint of fruit, some doughy bread near the midpalate. Finishes pleasantly boozy with some bitter coffee, resinous hops, and warm alcohol. I found that the alcohol warmth in this balanced nicely with the sweet butterscotchy notes. This was probably my favorite of the beers I tried at H.U.B. I can easily see it being considered kind of messy, but it’s tasty and keeps you interested.

BrewDad (5667) - Olympia, Washington, USA - AUG 12, 2010
Oregon Brewers Guild Brewers Dinner – 2010 – Portland, OR
Dark brown in color, clear with a thick fruit hops and dark malt nose. Tasted smooth and rich with malt flavor there were some great hops additions to this beer.

skortila (5985) - Baarn, NETHERLANDS - AUG 8, 2010
West USA trip 2010. On tap @ PIB. The aroma has some fruitiness, hops, roast malts. The taste is a bit bitter, sweet, has roast, some chocolate, little flowers. Nice. Forgot to take notes about appearance.

SamGamgee (2585) - down the whirlpool, California, USA - JUL 31, 2010
Draught at the brewpub. Dark brown with a red touch. Fruity and alcoholic aroma. The flavor is sweet and quite alcoholic with a big fruity component that seems like all perfumey alcohol and high gravity fermentation byproducts. Medium bitterness and lighter hop flavor. I just wasnt’ into this at all. I’m not really sure what they were going for in making up this style, but the fermentation just went wrong here. Way too hot and messy; tough to drink.