overall
Brewed by Howe Sound Brewing
Style: Spice/Herb/Vegetable
Squamish, Canada

RATINGS: 148   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.48/5   SEASONAL: Autumn   IBU: 19   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
A high gravity pumpkin ale brewed with barley, fresh roasted pumpkin, hops, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, star anise, water and yeast, it is one of the local seasonal favorites. This beer is produced in very limited quantities each fall as part of the John Mitchell series
16.7 Plato

JoeMcPhee (9456) - Toronto, ON, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 30, 2012
Cask. Deep amber pour. A ton of earthy hops and loads of spice on the aroma. Way too much anise and spice. Leaves an astringent/chalky mouthfeel. Couldn’t even finish 4 oz of this. I have to imagine it’s different in the bottles and I may revisit this one.

Strykzone (7490) - Wood River, Illinois, USA - OCT 29, 2012
Sampled at an esbls tasting. Leaves bubbles on the glass. Mostly clear with some head. Nice pumpkin flavor has a nice pumpkin pie flavor. I like that in this style. Tasty.

pictoman (1173) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - OCT 28, 2012
Poured from 1L bottle. Aroma of cinnamon and nutmeg with earthy leaves. Copper brown in colour with light head. Sweet medium body with a little kick at the end.

WheatKing (1338) - Phnom Penh, CAMBODIA - OCT 28, 2012
Hm we were trying to figure out the spices in this while drinking, apparently it was on the bottle... we got cinnamon and nutmeg... missed the clove and anise, too bad. Oddly enough pumpkin in ale tastes a lot like alcohol to me so I couldn’t figure out if the finish contained ethanol or not.

Not just a novelty, this stands well on its own.

rob6239 (677) - Ontario, CANADA - OCT 28, 2012
On cask at Toronto’s Cask Days festival. Mild pumpkin aroma but some other spices I couldn’t place were more prevalent. Taste wasn’t overpowering with the pumpkin but could have used a slight touch more. Otherwise good drinking beer. One of the few pumpkin beers I could drink a few of in a row.

gilvanblight (826) - Windsor, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 27, 2012
Very strong scent immediately upon opening. Love the bottle. It’s not often that you get a re-sealable bottle. Slightly hazy brown orange pour. Lots of pumpkin and spice in that nose. Cinnamon, clove. Yeasty slightly bready mouth. Reminds me of Remark Farms Pumpkin Spice Loaf. Lots of spice. Very easy to drink. Low carbonation. So far the best Pumpkin beer I’ve had. Mixes the sweetness perfectly. Really enjoying this one and glad it comes in a 1 liter. Won’t need to re-seal that bottle tonight.

Ontbeertaster (2362) - Ontario, CANADA - OCT 27, 2012
Bottle, pours a dark copper, aroma is a light spice of pumpkin, very strong flavoured with a minimal spice in the flavour, overall it was drinkable, wasnt one of my fav pumpkin ales

Gorbalev (3000) - Ontario, CANADA - OCT 26, 2012
Bottle, LCBO. Huge 1L bottle, glad I split it with my wife. Dark murky brown with a thin tan head. Nutmeg, pumpkin in aroma, but also a lot of malt sweetness. Taste - big sweet malt body mixed with some earthy spices and a good dose of alcohol. A decent combination that I took a bit to warm up to. Certainly comes together quite well; I just found that it almost ended up being too "big" to enjoy the flavours, if that makes any sense. Still, this one is a winner, nice to get the chance to try it!

TheJester (2542) - Cavan Monaghan, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 22, 2012
1L bottle with cap and swingtop. Nice idea with the big bottle. Looks like a pumpkin beer, I suppose. Smells like a pumpkin beer. But tastes much better than most pumpkin beers. The bigger malt base and higher gravity hold up better to the spicing, so that you are not overwhelmed by the brown spice. It is big but balanced. I’ll get this one again.

kevinsenn (2248) - Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 22, 2012
1L bottle from LCBO. Pours a gorgeous clear deep copper, with a thin head. Rich pumpkin and spice aroma. Taste is smooth, with pumpkin and spice, with a slight alcohol finish. Smooth creamy mouthfeel with light carbonation. A great pumpkin ale.