overall

RATINGS: 1212   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.31/5   EST. CALORIES: 222   ABV: 7.4%
Bottle: Pasteurised.
Originally brewed at Belhaven for Innis & Gunn. Production moved to Wellpark - date unknown.
NOTE: This is the same beer as the Oak Aged Beer Rum Finish. According to Innis & Gunn "they are the same beer, the process changed slightly so we changed the name. But the recipe is the same."

Has also been seen at 6.8% (Rum Aged)
Ingredients: Golden Promise and Crystal malt; Phoenix hops.
We are delighted to present this unique limited bottling of Innis & Gunn finished in oak barrels which previously contained navy rum. Maturation in special oak barrels imparts Navy rums with the sweet, spicy character for which they are renowned. We have long wondered what flavours might be imparted to our beer by finishing it in these same barrels and earlier this year we decided to find out. We brewed a special batch of Innis & Gunn beer and matured it in oak for 60 days. Every single drop spent half of that time in American oak barrels before being refilled into selected navy rum barrels to finish the lengthy maturation. Once the beer had absorbed the unique character the barrels were emptied, the beer blended and then maturation continued for a further 47 days until all of the flavours had married together and mellowed. We think the result is absolutely delicious!

WheatKing (1350) - Phnom Penh, CAMBODIA - JAN 4, 2013
Well, I’ve always wondered what a rum casked beer would taste like, thanks for the lesson I&G! That’s definitely the oomph in this drink, the rest is quite hollow, but I liked the spicy alcohol flavour floating on top of the palate. Vanilla, as always found in their beers, thanks to the oak I guess. My dad doesn’t care for beer, he’s a rum guy, and I stay away from the hard stuff. I think I just found one we’ll both like.

jmgreenuk (10322) - Kuala Lumpur, MALAYSIA - JAN 4, 2013
Bottle from Tesco. Poured a dark treacle brown colour with a fluffy thick tan head. The aroma is sweet rum, although not strong. The flavour is dominated, as you might expect, by the oaked rum barrels! There is a hint of sweetness and measured bitterness on the palate. A lovely heart-warming ale that tastes good all year round, but even better in the winter.

VastActiv (7734) - Oulu/Helsinki, FINLAND - JAN 2, 2013
Bottle 0.33l. Colour is copper with small white head. Aromas and flavours are vanilla, rum, spices, sweetness, bitterness and malts.

BBB63 (6567) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - DEC 29, 2012
Bottle and served in nonik pint glass: Pours a rich mahogany hue with a lovely frothy head and good lace. The aroma has notes of rum and wood, vanilla and walnut, some peppery notes, herbal hops, and a bit of leathery and earthy yeast vapours. I do note some Diacetyl that gains strength as it warmed but is not offensive. The taste pretty much matched the nose heavy crystal malts and herbal hops covered by a rum and spice note. The finish displays a bit of tannic oak and some nutty tones. Again there is the presence of butterscotch but again it is not overly aggressive. The mouth feel is oily and smooth, dry tannic finish with spicy dryness. I like this more than the other two Innis and Gunn beers I had before it. (yes, I am entering these backlogged ratings in backwards)

mr_h (6059) - Ayr, SCOTLAND - DEC 25, 2012
330ml bottle courtesy of JohnRMurdoch - clear brown, no head, aroma is alcohol, roasted malt, no lacing, flavour is caramel, alcohol, hint of rum, hint of vanilla, soft carbonation, more bitter finish than I had expected

Scipio (1269) - Palatine, Illinois, USA - DEC 25, 2012
Pours a clear, dark amber with a thin beige head. Aroma contains lots of rum, and that is all that is noticed initially. But then you get some chocolate and caramel undertones. Taste has a bunch of rum offerings as well. Nuts and caramel are in there also. Sweet rum aftertaste is rather mild, but it is long lasting. Fizzy carbonation, medium in body, with a slightly sticky texture. I suppose this is ok, but I really don’t like rum. If you like rum, you should enjoy this.

johninmelb (1127) - Bristol, Gloucestershire, ENGLAND - DEC 23, 2012
Bottle from Sainsburys. I hope this is the right beer - the ABV is wrong and it’s just labelled ’rum finish’ but this seems the most likely choice of the three possibilities. Anyway ... the nose is spicy and rich with some underpinning sweet malt. Pours dark and looks overcarbed. The flavour follows the nose mainly, but introduces a cloying quality. Finish is thin for a beer of this depth and strength. All told, not great, which makes me suspect I choose the wrong one, given the other ratings on here.

Raistlin (495) - London, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 22, 2012
Really nice ruby pour with quick rising tan foam. Aromas of grass, citrus, sweet caramel/butterscotch and dark cocoa. Lightly carbonated with predominantly sweet flavor with a light bitterness, and definite alcohol heat. Although thin bodied, has a slickness that lasts on the tongue. Astringent and mildly bitter that lingers on. You can definitely taste the dark rum character. Nicely balanced beer!

StanMemTn (59) - Memphis, Tennessee, USA - DEC 22, 2012
Rich, warming, complex ale. The mouthfeel and finish make it an intensely satisfying beer.

NobleSquirrel (3439) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 19, 2012
Bottle at homebrew club meeting. Pours a deep reddish brown, clear. Nose is a bit skunky, but that fades. Loads of spicy oak notes, sweet molasses and rum. Spiced rum, almost. Sweet malt and faint hops. On tasting, pretty well balanced with a lush palate. Drying oaky astringency. Nice spice quality, faint cinnamon? Rum is persistent, along with a sweet malt profile. Really quite nice.