overall
RATINGS: 139   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.48/5   EST. CALORIES: 189   ABV: 6.3%
We combine roasted malt with three additions of select hops to produce a well-balanced dark ale with a satisfying finish.

vwsteggie (684) - Paxton, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 13, 2003
Has a clouded orange/amber color with some carbonation and a light hop smell. Taste is crisp fruity/hop and a bitter hop finish. Overall a pretty refreshing beer, but I am not sure why they call it a dark ale...

ClarkVV (6839) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - JUN 18, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 3, 2006 2002 growler. Dark Brown with some reddish golden hues. Slightly cloudy, as this is unfiltered and, to my delight, unpasteurized. Had out of a growler. Nice straw, malt aroma. Some dark dark, full berry aroma on the end. But mostly an earthy almost root taste coming from the barley. Nice grainy/malt character. Wonderful velvety taste. Great natural carbonation. Soft but yet has an appropriate amount of burnt flavor from the roasted malt. As it warmed to room temperature, there were some even caramel tending towards toffee notes. Very balanced ale with a full, malty body. What I enjoyed most was that it was complex and seemed to offer a bit of everything, malt, roast, caramel/toffee flavor, good body, good carb level, even had a bit of hops to it that is apparent right upon sipping it. Could be a little less sweet, as that tends to prevent from drinking much of this at one time. 2004 bottle. Still incredible. Great color, same light dark fruits in the aroma with plenty of lightly bitter, juicy hops, dominated mostly by caramel and chocolate malt. Tastes wonderful even after it has warmed. Less sweet than I rememeber, maybe a bit more bitter. I think if they lowered the alpha acids/took out some hops, this would be even better. As it is, this is one of my favorite brown ales and just a tasty, drinkable beer.

jjw2000 (72) - USA - MAY 21, 2003
Deep somewhat cloudy red brown color with light tan head. Mild aroma of floral hops and some sweet malt. Very creamy mouthfeel. Strong bitter nutty flavor is accentuated pleasantly by roasted notes. Pleasant and strong lingering finish also rich, nutty, roasted and bitter/hoppy.

ToadMan (559) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - FEB 27, 2003
Dark color with ruby tint, nice frothy head. Very nice aroma, great mix of sweet/nutty malts and fruity hops. Taste is of roasted malt very nicely complemented by a hoppy bitterness. Very nutty/wood flavor to the malts, the hops are somewhat chewy and add a slightly citrusy kick. Comes togeher very nicely and leaves a terific bitter finish. The oatmeal stout turned me off to this brewery, but after this one I am going to have to try all that I can find.

UnionMade (621) - Connecticut, USA - DEC 31, 2002
A strange mix of hops and roasted malts. Very hoppy and bitter, with the roasted malts adding depth to the bitterness in the way of coffee of something like that. I haven't had this in a while, so I'll have to try it again and rerate.

Hopistotle420 (1178) - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA - OCT 30, 2002
Roasted grain, slightly floral nose. Billowing tan head. Deep ruddy brown hue. Sweet, good mouthfeel, very nice bitter finish. This is some good stuff. Ipswich always impresses me.

muzzlehatch (4970) - Beloit, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 26, 2002
Ok, guess I'm spoiler on this one. Have to say upfront that I didn't have a whole bottle or pint, just part of my brother's. I found it nice and malty-sweet, and yes it gets tougher at the end and has a nice color; but all in all it just didn't seem to have a lot of character to me, sorry. Perhaps I'll try it again if I can get an Ipswich sampler, though.

brownalegirl (199) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - JUN 18, 2002
One thing guys can't do well is describe color - I write, shaking my head at the attempts below - this beer is burnt umber, gentlemen, and the remarkable thing is that the flavor mtaches the color nicely - warm, deep, maybe slightly astringent. The best thing about the beer is its remarkable mouthfeel - wonderful on the tongue. Thanks Michael!

hennes (934) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - JUN 16, 2002
This is the one Michael saved for us ... and we're so glad he did! Big, warming, earthy brown - chewy even - reminds me of my wife's rich homemade granola. Fine accompaniment of hops, too.

Schroppfy (2360) - Łódż, Warsaw, Poland; Michigan, Ohio, USA - MAY 28, 2002
Gusler once called El Toro's Poppy Jasper 'marzeny', and the description befits this one even better. On the front side, the malt handling here is world class; sweet, challenging, slight lemon oaty kind of flavor. A tiny bit thick in the mouth detracts oh just a bit. Nicely smoky at the front as well. Like the Sudwerk Marzen pumped up on steroids. Then the finish; beautifully bitter, nicely hopped, but not quite as clean as some American west coast browns like the Jasper. Must be the English style brown, I guess. This beer, contrasted with Boyne and El Toro's offerings, showcases the incredible range found in America's best breweries within the Brown ale style. Highly recommended, and thanks Volgon. Top 3 Brown. Hennes and Brownalegirl -- I already have one saved for ya.