Iron Hill Ring of Fire Porter

overall
Formerly brewed at Iron Hill Newark
Style: Porter
Newark, Delaware USA

RATINGS: 44   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.34/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Crafted as a blend of Iron Hill’s Pig Iron Porter and a batch of Lodestone Lager which had been aged in a TABASCO® pepper mash oak barrel. This is a libation that will please beer and barbecue lovers alike.

GMCC2181 (1617) - Newark, Delaware, USA - JUN 16, 2008
UPDATED: SEP 2, 2008 Bottle from Newark location. The cork "popped" off, poured into a glass. Black in color. Big creamy head. Aroma is malt with just small smell of peppers/tobasco. Taste is pretty good. Chocolate and malty upfront with a spiceyness in the back. Spicy hot, even tingles on the lips a little. I wish I ate some wings with this. Medium texture. Overall a good unique beer. ******Update***** Second bottle almost took my eye out! LOL! Still a good beer. This bottle didnt have as much chocolate taste but still was good. SPICY. Very unique beer...

TheCaptain (613) - Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 13, 2008
Bottle from Iron Hill Lancaster, Thanks for sharing afire. Well for $9 bucks eh it was Ok, thanks again for buying afire! Nice aroma of dark chocolate, spice malt, aged oak. Up front it was good, you get a bit of the spice(Tabasco) but with a chalky roast chocolate-dark spicy malt wash that increased as it hit the back of the throat. Alone It was a little over spiced on the back end, imagine if the Alc% was increased?! If ever I try this again I would like a good steak or maybe ribs to balance it out.

afireinside96 (923) - Mountville, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 10, 2008
13oz caged and corked bottle. Pours a deep brown with a big tan head, much bigger than the regular "Pig Iron Porter". Nice complex smell with hints of vanilla, roasted malt, chocolate, and some chalk. Flavor is nicely balanced with some roasted coffee notes and spicy peppers. Also noticeable are some oak, smoke, earth, and some chalkiness. Very interesting, though a bit on the spicy side to finish a whole bottle. I am glad I tried it but $9 is WAY too much for a small domestic bottle like this.

hopdog (13315) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 9, 2008
13oz caged and corked bottle (I guess they make these bottles look ’cool’ to lessen the sticker shock). Poured a cloudy brownish / orangish color with a huge sized tan head. Aromas of chocolate, roast, peppers, tobasco, wood, and some caramel. The peppery tobasco was there but not overpowering. Tastes of chocolate, tobasco, peppers, and roast. The heat from the tobasco crept on me and didn’t hit me at first (it takes a few seconds after a sip). The heat is there but this was still drinkable. Interesting (and I hope I don’t have another kind of ’ring of fire’ tomorrow morning).