Iron Hill Ring of Fire Porter

overall
Formerly brewed at Iron Hill Newark
Style: Porter
Newark, Delaware USA

RATINGS: 44   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.34/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Crafted as a blend of Iron Hill’s Pig Iron Porter and a batch of Lodestone Lager which had been aged in a TABASCO® pepper mash oak barrel. This is a libation that will please beer and barbecue lovers alike.

User37895 (3085) - - JAN 10, 2009
At the SSSSLT, an exciting bottle opening by the generous GMCC2181, who tamed the cork beautifully but just couldn’t contain the volcanic spewing of bubbles that transpired for about ten minutes (good thing he didn’t ship this and saved it for SL!). Obvoiusly, poured with a huge head, about 90% of the glass, big bubbles too, foamy, tannish in color, longstanding retention (although after 10mins or so, the bottle poured reasonably). Body of the beer was brown in color, much like their standard and excellent pig iron porter. The aroma was normal roasty chocolate, good stuff, no tabasco yet though, maybe some tingling going on in the nostrils. The flavor was excellent, the best pepper type beer I’ve had, roasty chocolate notes, but a nice complementary tabasco richness that added some heat to the sips (but not ridiculously, as I’m not into suicide hot wings, etc...) around the whole mouth and tongue. In addition to the heat, the mouthfeel obviously was lively with carbonation tooo. Gabe, thanks for the opportunity on this one, a very fun experience, and one which has me no longer wondering why folks mix peppers in beers.

ryan (3185) - Beltsville, Maryland, USA - FEB 13, 2011
Smoky pepper and toffee nose with a bit of dark fruit. Taste is loaded with peppers, very fruity, some toffee, hickory smoke and raisins. Medium body is soft with light carbonation and a warm, tingling pepper finish. Excellent.

chibuck (3521) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 30, 2011
High time I got around to reviewing this from a tasting several weeks ago. Provided by Alex...A dark brown pour with a tan head, good retention and lacing...The aroma is strong with lots going on, tabasco dominates of course but there is depth with cocoa, oak and a hint of smoke, I like it...The tabasco doesn’t take center stage adding in some cocoa and caramel giving a malt balance to he heat. A really nice combo that gives people the chili heat they are looking for without blowing them out of water. Can’t drink a ton of this though.

riversideAK (6265) - Shoreline, Washington, USA - JUL 2, 2008
Bottle from hopdog. Thanks man! Pours a murky light brown. Aroma of roasted malts, oak, light pepper. The flavor is a nice blend of roast, light sweet dark malts, a little oak, and a nice acidic spicy finish. I love spicy food, and the couple of well done hot beers I have tried, I enjoyed. Very creative and interesting enjoyable beer. I actually really liked this a lot!

GMCC2181 (1617) - Newark, Delaware, USA - JUN 16, 2008
UPDATED: SEP 2, 2008 Bottle from Newark location. The cork "popped" off, poured into a glass. Black in color. Big creamy head. Aroma is malt with just small smell of peppers/tobasco. Taste is pretty good. Chocolate and malty upfront with a spiceyness in the back. Spicy hot, even tingles on the lips a little. I wish I ate some wings with this. Medium texture. Overall a good unique beer. ******Update***** Second bottle almost took my eye out! LOL! Still a good beer. This bottle didnt have as much chocolate taste but still was good. SPICY. Very unique beer...

3fourths (9381) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - JUL 14, 2008
Huge, heavy carbonation pushes dusty, brown foam out of the bottle, and pours a three inch head on one inch of muddy brown beer. Damn it looks ugly but I kind of like the look. Nice smoky, tangy and spicy nose that mixed some smoked malt, some roast/char and some chile peppers. Spicy, peppery wood and mildly hot chile peppers hit the tongue in a wonderfully delicious performance of roasted malts, dry wood, sharp peppers… damn good all around. A great idea executed very well.

TURDFERGUSON (4058) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - JUL 17, 2008
Bottle, from axilla. Thanks Jon! I quite enjoyed this one. The bottle foamed up quite a bit when i opened it, but I was still able to get out 6 or 7 good pours for my fellow ratebeerians. Aroma had some nice roasted malts, hot pepper, and a bit of smoke. Flavor was spicey on the tongue but it did not totally mask the original base porter. Pretty darn good for what it is.

kkearn (1221) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 2, 2008
Sample, from a bottle. Poured deep brown, capped with a moderate sized tan head. Aroma of chocolate malt, smoke, and hot pepper. Flavor is chocolate malt for an instant, which is quickly joined by chili pepper that burns the tongue a bit. Hefty chocolate malt supports the chili pepper for a long finish. The porter and pepper match very well. Much better balanced than the Ithaca "Tastes like Burning", that I had at the Extreme Beer Fest. I’d like to try this again.

StFun (567) - Indiana, USA - SEP 9, 2008
Big thanks to Gabe (GMCC2181) for sending this one to me awhile back for my #300 rating. First, as others have said, watch out for the cork! It blew off and shattered on my garage ceiling, and the beer all came out as head. Once it settled down, it looked a murky black color, which I dug. Slight pepper in the aroma. But MAN the flavor is all tabasco. Way to hot and spicey when the beer was cool. Once it warmed up, there were nice notes of charred chocolate and smoke. Some real nice flavors on the palate, some dark fruits and carmel. The tabasco is just too strong though, it burned my tastebuds and hindered me from fully enjoying this one. Really glad I got the chance to drink this one though, I’d suggest picking one up to anyone as a one off special treat.

puzzl (3264) - New York, New York, USA - JUN 26, 2008
Bottle from Hopdog. Or more like a bomb. Before the cage-holder was even unwound the cork and cage shot out like a bullet in one of the most impressive bottle explosions I’ve ever seen. Surprisingly, the beer didn’t gush much, but the head was completely ridiculous, and it took some 10 minutes of pour and wait before a bit of beer was even drinkable.

A tasty one this is, though, with nice porter flavors and only a mild spicy burn. The heat hits early in the nose and late in the finish but never in between. A bit thin but an enjoyable beer all around. I love spicy beers and would love to see more of them.