overall
RATINGS: 235   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.4/5   EST. CALORIES: 234   ABV: 7.8%
Created by the brewery’s founder, Quilter’s Irish Death is what we call a dark, smooth, ale. Any attempt at classifying it just ends up sending beer geeks into a style guidelines diatribe. So forget style guidelines. Is your pursuit of micro beer about tasting copies of a style that fit guidelines anyways? (Neither is ours) Irish Death is a malt bomb. We lovingly refer to it as beer candy. We heart our candy store. While tempting to session this beer, the name is a necessary reminder that despite the surprising approachability, this beer weighs in at a hefty 7.8% ABV.

SuzyGreenberg (1604) - Seattle, Washington, USA - MAY 13, 2008
22 oz. bottle - pours thin and dark brown and cream head fades to the edges; aromas are earthy, some chocolate and candy sugar; texture is creamy and drinks sweet; slight roast to it but needs more body as it is quite thin; disappointing as a stout, but pretty decent as a dark ale i think; drinks smooth with dry finish; sweetness lingers

BrewDad (5667) - Olympia, Washington, USA - MAY 3, 2008
4oz Taster - Hop Scotch Spring Festival - Seattle, WA

Aroma – Nice sweet dark malt aroma. Very much like a dark Scottish ale with the oat aroma and slightly nutty.

Appearance – Dark brown in color, clear with a nice head.

Flavor – Good deep dark malts with a slight oat and nutty flavor. This was a decent stout.

Palate – Great Mouthfeel, good beer texture with a dry finish.

Overall – This was an interesting beer. I had to look this up to see what it was. I was not expecting this to be a stout. It poured very light for a stout. The beer came across like a hopped up dark Scottish ale beer. Not sure if it was mixed-up or what was going on. Interesting beer.

carruthm (1400) - Seattle, Washington, USA - MAY 3, 2008
dark dark brown with little head but might have been the small pour, caramel, nut and oat on the nose, creamy body

19Ei8hty (1166) - Washington, USA - APR 30, 2008
UPDATED: JUN 29, 2008 Got my hand on a good bottle - all the good things in my first rating, none of the bad - confirms the sour bottle.

Somewhat woody, mild roasted malt with a maple sweetness. My bottle wasa sour, not overwhelmingly so, but definetly huge on the finish. Thinner bodied with a sasparilla like spice upfront. Maybe I got a spoiled bottle?

scrizzz (2223) - Bothell, Washington, USA - APR 26, 2008
clean dark dark brown, black in the center. fluffy bountiful head took quite some time to settle. wood smoked bacon aroma. goodness this is tasty. deep roast flavor and light enough in body to fully appreciate it. the delicate smokiness lingers and i never get a hint of any alcohol or harshness. perhaps these early low ratings were the result of poor lines. now that it’s bottled opinion must change.

auderale (605) - Minot, North Dakota, USA - FEB 2, 2008
Dark brown colored pour with medium sized head. Sweet, roasted malty aroma with a sweet toasted malt finish. I enjoyed this.

Quiz18 (1) - Washington, USA - OCT 11, 2007 does not count
I like this beer its a good beer for those who have never tried a darker beer. It is sweet but for those of us who aren’t in love with the crazy bitterness found in IPA’s i don’t think it will be a problem. Obviously, my fellow raters are no strangers to the dark side, and have forgotten what its like to just be starting out.

riversideAK (6265) - Shoreline, Washington, USA - OCT 5, 2007
UPDATED: APR 29, 2008 dark brown with tan head. Smells like candied malts. Very sweet, not to roasty. A little chocolate, but is incongruent with the style for me. I know it is a sweet stout, but it is cloying and unpleasant. Too much sweetness, not balanced with any roast or dryness at all. Eh.

Crit (4065) - Surrey, British Columbia, CANADA - JUN 20, 2007
Deep brown, small beige head.Nose is non existent. Whatever flavor it has is overshadowed by a cloying fatty taste.

Oakes (19010) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - JUN 19, 2007
Hazy light brown colour. Light dark malts - breadcrust and caramel. Nothing terribly stouty. Toasty and thin, with hints of not much. I have no idea what they’re trying to accomplish here but I don’t think they succeeded.