overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 266   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.83/5   EST. CALORIES: 303   ABV: 10.1%
Imperial American Extra Strong and Special Double Red Ale. Our anniversary beer, TEN is brewed with too many malts to list and an excess of American hops, including several additions during fermentation. Enjoy the russet color, aggressively hoppy aroma and flavor, rich body and fiery finish.

DocLock (11189) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 23, 2008
Bottle from Capone’s. Pours turbid burnt umbery with some ruby and dark brown highlights and a huge, fluffy 3-finger khaki head. The aroma is a beautiful behemoth medley of piney hops, pineapple, mango, black pepper, vinous fruit, and caramel malt...very Dreadnaughty aroma. The taste is heavy caramel malt matched by a huge hop bill, giving an array of the aforementioned citrus and tropical fruits. As it warms, the fruit emerges even more and I even noted a late cognacy spirit flavor. The palate is rich, with more than enough malt to expertly balance the hops. My only beef is that it gets a tiny bit hot late, but that heat just adds to the allure here, taking nothing away from the drinkability of this gem, one of the finer IPAs I’ve ever quaffed. Ithaca continues to blow me away with their aggressive beers, made with a technical expertise that others may misinterpret as a thumb in the eye to traditional styles. Beers this awesome don’t come from a Cracker Jack box, fellas.

BgThang (126) - Texas, USA - APR 26, 2009
Thanks to LUM for this awesome Extra! I am still looking for some more of this if anyone is wanting to do a trade! This pours a deep brownish red color. The nose is great on this as well. The mouth I got was toffee, caramel, hoppiness. The nose was hop and spices that blended well. I will be searching this one out again. Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 08-27-2008 13:30:20

Bill Becker (2007) - Casper, Wyoming, USA - NOV 29, 2017
From Jul 2008 I got this bottle in a trade with nutbrown. Thanks Alan! This pours from red foiled and capped 750ml bottle(batch E!006) a clear reddish amber with a 2 finger and growing head of billowy foam. Holding my glass up to the light, I can see that it's slightly hazy. Ha! This certainly is a looker in my glass and the head looks like it's not going anywhere soon. The smell is a malt lover's delight! Loads of caramel malt hit my nosebuds right off the bat but there's also a fruitiness in the nose along with some toffee. The taste starts off with big notes of sweet malt but then I get roasted malt, some bread, tofee, some fruit(mostly cherry when I swish it in my mouth), the complexity just never seems to stop! And....where *is* the 10abv?? You gotta be kidding me! Ok, by the end of the session, I guess that's where I'll notice it but dang, no sign of it in the taste and no sign of it after the swallow. Amazing. Update on the appearance: Ring after ring of lacing after every sip and the head is still a solid 1". Also, it goes cloudy after the second pour.(I use mini pours to refill my glass) I want to say that this is full bodied because of how silky smooth it is so, I'll say it, it's full bodied with a nice lightish amount of carbonation. I haven't mentioned any hop presence thus far but it *is* there...some nice notes of grapefruit that kick in some bitterness in between the luscious layers of malty goodness. Wow. Is this a fine American Strong Ale or what?! Ok, bottom line time. I'm really having a hard time finding *any* faults with this beer. In fact, I'm going to ask nutbrown if he can get/save me another bottle. Ithaca has proven to me, time after time, that they have some real masters of the brewing art in their fold and this one literally is off the charts. So *damn* highly recommended! 'nuff said.

dmradus (227) - Ithaca, New York, USA - MAR 9, 2008
UPDATED: MAY 7, 2008 Bottle, Batch E!006, first bottle purchased from Finger Lakes Beverage Center, Ithaca, NY. Pours a ruddy brown, ruby red in direct light. Off-white to tan head, 2-finger, big bubbles, lasts considerably and laces beautifully. Nose is a cascade bomb: grapefruit, pine resin, sweet candied fruits and raisins - very assertive hop aroma. Taste is more balanced but still strongly hoppy: citrus in tangerine and grapefruit, slight fruity sweetness, very nice caramel malt backbone mellows everything out. Slight peppery spiciness, perhaps from the tinge of alcohol in the finish. Lasting, strongly bitter aftertaste. Rasping on the palate, creamy with very fine and strong carbonation. Excellent. Right there with Old Habit at the top of Ithaca’s stable. Rerate: Had this on tap last night. Even better than when I first tried it, with a subtle but perceptible smoked malt note in the taste and a wonderful, sublime aroma.

TomDecapolis (4636) - Milton, Delaware, USA - APR 2, 2008
Batch E!006. Pours a lightly hazy deep ruby red/amber/golden with a large foamy/creamy off white lacing head. Aroma of orange peel, tropical fruits, pine, toffee, caramel, toasted malt, very floral, I love the mix of sweet malts and fruits that come across in this aroma. Flavor of toasted malt, caramel, toffee, some nuts, pine, grapefruit, orange peel, floral notes, other various fruits, earthy. Very nice balance of sweetness along with a nice dose of hop bitterness and flavor. Well done beer, I like the move towards more of an Imperial Amber as opposed to your standard Double IPA. Between this and Old Habit Ithaca needs to keep this big beer series going strong. Right up my alley.

tjthresh (1872) - Greenfield, Indiana, USA - JUL 29, 2009
Poured into a tupil. Pours deep mahagony red/brown with a bit of stone color head. Robust nose with loads of toffee, chocolate, cherries, and candied hops. Wonderfully balanced sweet, but not cloy, malts, and piny and pleasantly bitter hops. Full but not overwhelming body. I really like this beer a lot.

nhorween (645) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 19, 2008
UPDATED: AUG 3, 2008 Bottle, batch E!006. Ruddy red-brown pour with a fine cream colored head. Great aroma, reminds me of the winter yulesmith right away. Great balance of sweetness and hops - really sticky with plenty of citrus, honey, light caramel and brown sugar. Alcohol comes through with some spices - really, really floral. Flavor is really similar. Nice round hops with just enough sweetness to balance. Smooth bitter finish, alcohol in the back of the tongue. Great body. Easily Ithaca’s best beer. Very well done. Rerate - Batch #E!009 - not as impressive as the previous batch that I tasted. I’m getting some rye which I didn’t taste any of the first time.

ElJefe (553) - Rochester, New York, USA - APR 5, 2008
UPDATED: APR 6, 2008 Slightly cloudy dark copper color wiyh a thick, creamy beige head. A really pretty beer. Aroma of pungent hops - lots of pine and grapefruit - along with a honey-like sweetness. As nice as it is, the aroma is outdone by the flavor. Sweet, earthy, and fruity is balanced perfectly with aggressive hops. Balanced may even be the wrong word - this is like a slugfest between the sweet malt and pungent hops - as soon as you think one is going to overpower, the other makes a comeback. Thick, sticky body makes for a long finish. Outstanding beer, Ithaca seems to be constantly outdoing themselves lately.

Hophead22 (2879) - Redlands, by way of Wisconsin,, California, USA - SEP 28, 2008
750ml bottle courtesy of NYbeer, thank you very much Steven. Nice dark copper/red color. Very nice hop aroma, nice malts in there as well. Big malty flavor, barleywineish, spectacular beer.