overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 38   MEAN: 3.53/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.48/5   SEASONAL: Series   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Blend of brandy barrel aged imperial amber and bourbon barrel aged oatmeal stout.

jtclockwork (17101) - , New Jersey, USA - MAY 9, 2012
Bottle #77 of 336 thanks to a great trader. Pours darkest brown with tan head. Nose/taste of mint leaves, nuts, chocolate, roast malt and soured oak. Some brandy notes. Medium body.

brokensail (16633) - Dublin, California, USA - MAR 31, 2012
Pours dark brown in color with small tan head. Booze is definitely a prominent aroma. A strong note of stale hops followed by cocoa, oak, and a mild fruitiness (mostly prunes). The flavor is a touch metallic followed by some mild bourbon, roast, and cocoa. A touch acidic, for some reason, with a little bit of dark fruit. Not a fan of this one at all.

LtDan (1806) - Los Angeles County, California, USA - MAR 29, 2012
Appearance: Pours root beer brown with a sparse film of swirls.

Aroma: Cola, chocolate, peppermint patties. Graham cracker.

Taste: Roasted malt, burnt roast, vanilla, whiskey/sweet liquor.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with low carbonation.

Overall: Tasty, but a bit all over the place. I would drink this now if you have a bottle or two.

marcus (10584) - Sacramento, California, USA - MAR 12, 2012
Bottle shared by bhensonb. Pours dark brown with a bubbly tan head and a chocolate and coffee aroma. There is a treacle flavor with a slightly sour oaky finish. This is an unusual brew that is quite interesting.

bhensonb (15624) - Woodland, California, USA - MAR 12, 2012
Bomber from ericandersnavy. Pours brown/black with a creamy tan head. Aromas of chocolate, coffee, vanilla, oak. Full bodied. Flavor is lightly sour, vinous, bourbon, dark fruit, coffee and chocolate and oak astringency. Very nice. Very complex.

dchmela (3078) - Orlando, Florida, USA - MAR 3, 2012
Thanks to Craig for this. Thick dark pour. Sweet malt, roasted grain and dark fruit aroma. Light sweet malt body with tons of dark fruit and bourbon in the taste. Good stuff.

Ibrew2or3 (8808) - Tempe, Arizona, USA - MAR 1, 2012
Courtesy of Craig. It pours mahogany with thin mocha head. The aroma offers up chocolate brownie, baker’s chocolate, some booziness and dark roasted malts mixing with some coffee notes. The taste has yummy dark chocolate, milk chocolate, dark roasted maltiness and some bourbon. Midway and into the finish it picks up an additional note in the form of vanilla. Yummy!

daknole (11050) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - JAN 28, 2012
Dark brown pour. Small light brown head. Aroma of figs,dates, tart booze, prunes. Flavor is fruity, oaky, lightly tart, prunes.

DavoleBomb (1867) - Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 20, 2012
I don’t know how excited I should be to try this. This is made of a 50/50 mix of Brandy Barrel Superfly and Bourbon Barrel Middle of Nowhere Stout. I had the BBMoNS yesterday and though it was good enough, so that I’m not worried about. Rather, the BBS has been polarizing. On-tap when it was released, I thought it was wonderful. From a bottle a month ago, I thought it sucked. Thus I’m not sure how mixing these beers will result. I guess there’s only one way to find out. Poured into a snifter. Bottle #20 of 336. 3.5 A: This looks more like the stout for obvious reasons. Dark brown, nearly black color. Two fingers of creamy tan head. Retention is about average and a short ring of lacing is left. 3.5 S: Interesting. The stout seems to be driving the nose, with the amber adding subtle complexity. All of the components of the BBMoNS are apparent - the maple syrup, the honey, the roastiness, and even the oats. The bourbon is a bit diluted from the original, which is to be expected, but still adds leather, earthy woodiness, vanilla, and some melon fruitiness. The amber itself is tough to find, though it seems to have contributed the the caramel that is also found in the stout. Rather, the biggest player from the BBS is the brandy. It gives a well integrated vinous character along with grape fruitiness. Booze is apparent, but not distracting 3.0 T: I’m not really sure what to think of the taste. One sip I get bourbon and stout, the next I get brandy and stout, and after that I get bourbon and brandy. I just can’t get on board with this. It seems strange and muddled, but isn’t really bad overall. What I pick up most is roastiness, maple syrup, leathery bourbon, brandy, vanilla, and some astringency from the barrels. 3.5 M: Heavier medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Reasonably creamy and smooth. 3.5 D: I honestly don’t know what to think of this. I either love it or hate it, but I decided to split the difference in my scores. Either way, it was an interesting experiment that I’m glad I got to try. I’m not a huge fan about the Cellar Cuvee series as a whole actually...until Brad decides to mix a Rum Barrel Oil with a Bourbon Barrel Kopi Dark App. I do like how this has come together, but I’m still not crazy about it. Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 12-08-2011 03:56:06

DrSilverworm (9671) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - JAN 7, 2012
On tap at Jackie-Os. Dark black color, thin tan head, nice thick lace. Light carbonation, creamy smooth texture. Dark fruit, some spice, good balanced bourbon note, some chocolate. Kinda stouty, indeed. Bit on the boozy side with the bourbon, though, and sweet for sure.