overall
Brewed by John Smiths (Heineken UK)
Style: Bitter
Tadcaster, England
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 637   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.51/5   IBU: 23   EST. CALORIES: 108   ABV: 3.6%
Pasteurised Keg and Can. Extra Smooth is served with nitrogen. There’s also an Extra Cold - the same beer, but at a lower temperature.
Previously 4.0%, 3.8%
"John Smiths is Britains biggest-selling bitter with more than 15% of the total UK standard bitter market."

bridge (659) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - NOV 13, 2006
"Serve Cold", eh. That’s sure to instill me with confidence. Pretty weak aroma with some dust and a touch of burnt grain. Flavour is rather uninteresting, with just a little bitterness providing any distinction from water. This probably isn’t helped by the ’extra smooth’ palate thanks to the nitro and a creamy mouthfeel. I could really drink this all night, but it would only be in the place of water. I think I’ll stick with water.

Englander1986 (51) - Middlesbrough, ENGLAND - NOV 8, 2006
At first it has a copper-like taste to it, but after several pints of the stuff, it goes down like water. Sweet smelling, great for a relaxing night in with some mates.

Rune (13507) - Tromsø, NORWAY - OCT 12, 2006
Half pint on draught at the Queens an hour before kick-off at Boylen Ground between Hammers and Newcastle. Amber in colour. More or less missing head. Creamy and smooth mouthfeel. High level of carbonation. Some hints of burnt malt and caramel. Little more than a thirst-quencher (17.09.2006).

Finn (8155) - Tromsø, NORWAY - OCT 9, 2006
On draught at The Queens - Upton Pk London E13. Brown coloured. A white head of concrete. A smooth impression with some roasted flavour. Quite dull.

Borup (15350) - Albertslund, DENMARK - OCT 7, 2006
Can. Brown colour with a creamy head. Aroma of toasted malt and flavour of malt with a bitter finish.

Fin (10917) - Merton, Oxfordshire, England, Oxfordshire, ENGLAND - SEP 26, 2006
Kidlington football club bar 23-09-06. Mmmhh what do you drink when there is this Guiness or cold fizzy yellow stuff on offer? Pours dark brown, it’s cold enough to make an eskimo think ’by eck that’s chilly’ No taste, no character, nothing. But the beauty with this beer, is that the person serving me knocked one of my drinks over went and got a mop to clean up, asked someone else to continue helping me who assumed I’d already paid, Bingo so it probably tasted much sweeter than it actually was.

mabjork (693) - Vasa, FINLAND - SEP 20, 2006
Canned (original bitter). Clear brown in colour. it has a creamy and bubbly head, lacings. The aroma is pleasantly is mildly toasted. The flavour again is malty and somewhat watery taste. I’d said that this is one of the best beers I’ve had this year. I might be a result of the simple fact that I’ve just spent 12,5 hours at work ;)Many Thanks to my friend Kim for this one!

berkshirejohn (6655) - Bracknell, Berkshire, ENGLAND - SEP 13, 2006
Nitro-keg. Smooth, cold and creamy - but then so’s a pint of milk. Dull appearance, bitter taste, no aroma.

greenhorn1 (850) - Mission Viejo, California, USA - SEP 2, 2006
Can of Orignial Bitter. Pours one of the beautiful ambers I have every seen, but that is the only good thing I can say about this beer. Aroma has a mild toasted malt with some hop presence. Unfortunatley, the aftertaste is dominated by a metallic taste, so it is hard for me to give a better discription of the overall flavor. Very light mouthfeel. I was pretty dissapointed in this bitter.

auderale (605) - Minot, North Dakota, USA - SEP 2, 2006
Dark brown pour with creamy head. Roasted malt aroma with a bitter, bitter finish.