overall
RATINGS: 1326   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.78/5   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
La Roja, an artisan amber ale brewed in the Flanders tradition. Deep amber with earthy caramel, spice and sour fruit notes developed through natural barrel aging. Unfiltered, unpasteurized and blended from barrels ranging in age between two and ten months. Truly an ale of distinction.

flemdawg (563) - Rowlett, Texas, USA - APR 11, 2005
Shared this bottle with walleye. Hazy reddish orange color with a decent sized beige head. Sweet fruit aroma(apples, pears, plums, and maybe some peaches). Also some alcohol as it warms. Not a fan of the taste. Bitter chalky taste with a hint of some fruits. LIngering bitter finish. The more I drank it the less I liked it I’ll pass on this next time

tjthresh (1873) - Greenfield, Indiana, USA - DEC 28, 2005
Pours a dark cherry color with and off white head. Champagne bubbles. The nose is full of barn yard notes, cider and oak. Notes of vanilla, berries, and oak in each drink. Medium body. Boat loads of carbonation. A fine beer, but not something I’d drink often.

TomDecapolis (4636) - Milton, Delaware, USA - JAN 7, 2006
Thanks to Hatchy. Pours a darker hazy brownish amber with a medium off white head that laced nicely. Aroma was a bit light. Picked up vegetables, some spice, malty, caramel and a bit musty. Flavors of the same...kind of hard to explain. A bit sour and vineous.

Cobra (1100) - - MAR 9, 2006
750 ml. champagne style bottle. No freshness date seen. Poured out a deep amber color, with a soapy tan colored head. Aromas are of slight caramel malts, some earthy hops, slight oakiness too. Flavors are of Brettanomyces again, some smoked characters as well. Burnt oak in the flavors as well. Medium mouthfeel. I’ve had better. The spices were unbalanced, IMHO.

Naven (1001) - Poway, California, USA - JUL 15, 2006
UPDATED: JUL 16, 2006 This is another one of those beers that I know is probably good, but it just doesn’t appeal to my palate. Maybe down the road i’ll like these sour beers, but for now, im sticking to my guns.....I dont really care for em. Actually, the sourness effect was somewhat tame, but the finish on this beer is brutally peppery that it creates a strange reaction. At first touch of the tounge, you think you might have an interestingly sweet beverage, but then, seconds later, you get hit over the head with pepper. Interesting, but not for me.

sneagrams3 (2337) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - AUG 5, 2006
750ml bottle. Dull copper hue. Sedimented. Tart sour apple nose. Medium but lively. Sour and tart. Apples and citrus. Nice.

KnutAlbert (6830) - Oslo, NORWAY - NOV 16, 2006
Beautiful ruby, a bit hazy. Smells of oak. Sweet and sour, reduraant and citrus, oaky overtones.

bdjames29 (273) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - APR 11, 2007
Bottle. My first of this type (biere de garde). La Roja was just not favorable in my opinion. Crazy head exploded from the bottle - have your glass ready. Aroma is sour, green apples - a bit winey. Taste follows. Just not really well balanced or smooth. Ehhh. Others have rated it high so I guess I’m off, possibly just not what I was expecting. An odd taste.

Bradrcr (806) - Renton, Washington, USA - AUG 15, 2007
6/30/07 From bottle at the Seattle International Beerfest. Aroma is sweet, fruity malt with fruit skin esters. Appearance is light copper with an off-white head. Flavor is sour malt forward followed by some interesting pear notes. Mouthfeel is light bodied and textured with a good carb feel. Overall, just too cidery for my tastes and not too exciting.

lb4lb (2628) - Austin, Texas, USA - FEB 26, 2008
Pours a cloudy brownish red color with foamy off white head. Smell is funky, tart cherry and some musty vinegar. Taste is funky, dry, fruity, with some cherry and very faint sweetness, but predominantly dry. Decent, but certainly didn’t blow me away.