overall
RATINGS: 100   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.93/5   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 6.99%
The Julian Hard Cider recipe originates from 1670 colonial America and is comparable to the finest British ciders. Unlike many “impostor” hard ciders on the market, it is easy to have more than one pint of Julian Hard Cider as we do not use concentrated apple Juice or additives which leave the drinker with a lingering sugary film and after-taste. Why is Julian Hard Cider the choice of true cider lovers? We have only one ingredient… the freshest apples in the world! Our cider is lightly carbonated with tartness, acidity and a clean dry finish, enabling it to stand firmly on its own or compliment your favorite meal. At Julian Hard Cider, we invite EVERYONE to put our hard cider alongside the best in the world, as we painstakingly strive to build our fan base one drinker at a time.

tennessejed420 (940) - Denver, Colorado, USA - MAR 7, 2011
bottle. Pours a very pale, clear yellow white with no head, fizzy carbonation bubbles noticeable. Aroma of fresh apples, also some sweet pear like tones. Flavor imparts a tart, crisp apple flavor, with moderate acidity and carbonation. Body is similar to a medium to light bodied white wine. I’m pretty inexperienced with ciders but thought this was pretty nice, something I could revisit.

bonk0076 (99) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 4, 2011
UPDATED: FEB 5, 2011 Pours almost crystal clear with almost a neglible head with a slight effervesence. Aroma is very faint - almost smells like a champagne - but with an apple twinge. Taste is very smooth, apples up front but with a clean finish. Very sessionable.

What I like about this cider is not only its sessionability - for a cider - but also it’s clarity. Clarity in ciders is a sign of unoxidized apples. This comes from bruising. These guys must have VERY high standards for the apples they use to get this kind of clarity. It is truly impressive.

gorditoabd (637) - San Diego, California, USA - JAN 3, 2011
Bomber. Pours a nearly clear, fizzy light yellow color. No foam. Aroma is a combo of apple and grape juices, with a slight Riesling-esque aroma of fermentation. Taste is actually pretty flat. There’s not much bite in this dog. Tastes like a really weak white wine. Yep, a second sip confirms what the first one said. This is great, if you don’t like alcohol taste in your alcohol...or taste period. Won’t be doing this again.

alexanderj (3605) - Branson, Missouri, USA - DEC 17, 2010
Bottle; poured a very clear gold color with not much head. Aroma of apples, alcohol, sweetness and a dash of fruit. My mom sensed bleach. Flavor was sweet, apples alcohol and goodness.

savnac (2656) - Anchorage, Alaska, USA - NOV 13, 2010
22 oz bottle. Pours clear white with a light yellow hue, the tiniest head instantly fizzes out to nothing. Faint aroma of apples, white wine and alcohol. The flavor is tart apple up front with a light sugary sweetness. Light body with lively carbonation and a clean, dry finish. Pretty good, nice and dry, just a bit light in flavor though.

BeerMePodcast (96) - Palm Desert, California, USA - SEP 30, 2010
The best cider I have had to date. Dry, champagne like, slightly tart and deliciously apple. The most perfect cider out there, and if there’s one that’s better, I want to try it!

brokensail (16660) - Dublin, California, USA - SEP 20, 2010
Pours a pale golden color with a fair amount of haze and a fizzy white head that soon disappears. A nice dryness to the nose with some crisp apples and a mild tartness, somewhat like a nice white wine. The flavor offers up more of the same. A pleasant dryness, not leaving all that much room for sweetness (but there is a touch). The mouthfeel is somewhat "champagney" in that it’s highly carbonated and drying.

padrefan98 (854) - (San Diego) Santee, California, USA - SEP 13, 2010
Tried my first sample at the San Diego Festival of beers. 7 samples later I decided this was the best damn cider I have ever tasted. Spent a while talking to the Marketing guy at the Julian Cider stand, and I think I even spent some time convincing others to give the cider a try. For me this was the most exciting drink at the festival. Call me crazy! But besides the fresh Sculpin was there anything else worth talking about? The cider gets points off for appearance, it reminds me of a flavored sparkling water you get at Wal Mart. But that’s where the complaints end. The aromas are enticingly sweet apple. The flavor is dry acidic and tart. Refreshing flavor without that thick taste after finish. If there was less carbonation this could compete with some of the better sour ales in the country. Blind test this and I doubt many would call it a cider.

Naven (1001) - Poway, California, USA - SEP 11, 2010
Admittedly, i’m not the biggest cider fan. Especially not dry ciders like this one. The flavor was nearly identical to Champagne. In fact, I only picked up a hint of apples. I’m also not a fan of Champagne. But, this was definitely well crafted, and something I might explore another time.

StefanSD (2468) - Ouray, Colorado, USA - SEP 2, 2010
650 ml bottle from Bev4less. Pours a pale gold color with a very small head that immediately dissipates. The aroma is soft with apples and vanilla. The flavor is apples, tart apples, ginger ale and some light mulling spices. The palate is full and malty, the carbonation is lively and prickly. Finishes short and semi-tart. Overall: Very tasty, but it needs a bit more apple character.