Karl Strauss Hamilton's Back In Black

RATINGS: 7   MEAN: 3.99/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.41/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 345   ABV: 11.5%
This dark ale is 11.5% abv. Brewed with chocolate wheat malts, organic cacao, cold pressed Caffe Calabria coffee, japone and puya chiles, and milk sugar. It is not an imperial stout. I don’t brew based on style guidlines so whever it falls is you choice but the only dark malts are chocolate wheat.

Most RecentTicked By

badlizard (5533) - Berkeley, California, USA - DEC 26, 2010
Black with a thin fizzy white head. Sweet chocolate and vanilla aroma. Tastes of chocolate, chile, vanilla, and coffee.

Snojerk321 (2984) - San Diego, California, USA - NOV 8, 2010
Tap @ Small Bar. Pours deep black with a creamy beige head. Nose was lightly spiced with hints of cocoa, roasted malts and fresh coffee. I think this is where tokyogoat got his idea for the Cayan Stout he brewed that won the Ballast Point homebrew Comp this year.....haha

tokyogoat (1503) - San Diego, California, USA - JUL 10, 2010
A decent offering, well worth the money and i’d possibly get it again. Just didn’t knock my socks off. Kind of a big hot mess of flavors, it was enjoyable to drink, just not sure i would order it again. Prefered their session ale.

BrotherGrendel (787) - San Diego, California, USA - JUN 11, 2010
Draft at TP Lodge Beer Hall. Dark brown hue with thick brown hue. Aroma is full of roast and milk chocolate with a hint of smoke. Flavor is very much a sweet milky cocoa milkshake with smoke and pepper spice on the periphery, finishes lightly sweet with a touch of heat. Medium-full body with a creamy smooth texture, moderate carbonation. Wow, an interesting stout with hints of smoke and pepper spice, overall sweet and creamy with a unique twist.

virtuosovii (103) - California, USA - MAY 8, 2010
On Tap at Churchill’s in San Marcos, CA. This was really good. This was a complex beer. Chocolate, vanilla and coffee flavors. Same with the aroma. No one told me it was supposed to have a chili flavor so I didn’t look for it. That being said--I didn’t notice it. This could be because I was too distracted having a good time with my friends or the chili just wasn’t very present to begin with. However, I did notice that something was different about this beer that I couldn’t quite put my finger on. I just didn’t think "chili" at any point. Anyway, this was still an amazing beer for the flavors I did notice. The mouth-feel was just excellent. Very smooth and heavy. Try it out.

JoeTheYounger (1195) - Lake Arrowhead, California, USA - MAY 1, 2010
On draft @ beachwood bbq.Pours a dark black with tan beige head. Aroma is roasty with hints of coffee. Taste roasty and chocolatey with some roasted fruits. with a very smooth pallet. Very good a drinkable.

mspindler (489) - Alta Loma, California, USA - MAY 1, 2010
On tap at Beachwood BBQ. Pours pitch black with a short beige head. Aroma is tons of toasty coffee and some chocolate with hints of dark dried fruits. Flavor is again loaded with smooth toasty coffee and chocolate and a bit of caramel. Full bodied, silky and sticky with software carbonation.