overall
RATINGS: 401   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.15/5   IBU: 17   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
Brewed with a half ton of caramelized malts, this bold red ale has caramel and toffee flavors, notes of dried raisins and currants, and a slightly sweet finish.
Color: 30 SRM
Bitterness: 17 IBU
Gravity: 15 Plato
Availability: 24/7/365, Kegs and Bottles

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jjh19 (63) - California, USA - DEC 5, 2009
Appearance: Poured from the bottle a nice, rich red with a little amber-ness and clear. Impressive foamy head. This is what I like a beer to look like. Smell: I got a slight sweetness in the nose. Taste: Sweet and malty. Perhaps my favorite thing about this beer is the caramel notes I get later in the taste. Theres a lot going on here. Mouthfeel: Full bodied, this is a rich beer. Drinkability: As the temperature cools down, I find its an even better time to enjoy a warming Red Trolley. It just works really well enjoying one or two while watching the Chargers. I tend to drink this beer slower than a lot of other beers, making the most of the malts. This is a beer Ive enjoyed over the years, and I think it gets a little bit better each time I have it. Or maybe I appreciate it a little more each time?

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Erikh04 (153) - - NOV 28, 2014
I drank a lot of this while in San Diego. Very good beer. One of my favorites. Wish I could find it out east. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

PCal99 (4) - San Marcos, California, USA - FEB 18, 2002 does not count
A very good beer

jlock777 (2) - California, USA - FEB 21, 2006 does not count
Great sweet malty san diego beer. A tribute to malt lovers everywhere. Highly recomended.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
burpfrank (299) - carpinteria, California, USA - JUL 23, 2006
This had an average head.Color was a nice red-amber.Good biting dry aroma.This was a good tasting red,but it was more of an IPA to me.Not enough of the fruityness of a good red.It was tasty though

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
AbeerWolf (27) - USA - JAN 30, 2008
A forever classic beer by KS. A must try for anyone new to SD. Nothing about the beer is spectacular, simply balanced and unassuming. Great blend of nutty malt flavors and subtle hops. Perfect color, average white head. Overall a tasty and balanced brew that would accompany most any occasion.

lawless (8) - , California, USA - FEB 2, 2009 does not count
This is the first beer I had from karl strauss and the one that made me a fan. I enjoy that roasted malts and toffee like flavors with hints of dates and currants amazing beer. The first dark beer that I enjoyed.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
rhys_mavis (11) - San Diego, California, USA - MAY 26, 2010
When out to dinner I find myself trying new beers if possible, but having the dependability of red trolley is always nice too.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
J_man (980) - Tustin, California, USA - JUN 8, 2010
A perfect clear amber color with a head the flees quickly. Slight caramel aroma that is amplified beautifully in the first sip. A solid caramel malt body with just enough hop flavor to make it interesting. Creamy smooth on the palate and with a nice woody sweetness. An all-around excellent amber ale from a great brewery. On tap at Chilis and the Fireside Lounge at the Country Inn & Suites in Mira Mesa, CA.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Noahs_Own (5) - Tarawa Terrace, USA - NOV 22, 2012 does not count
The beer that really started my love of craft. Sadly I have moved away from San Diego and Im unable to get anymore.