Karl Strauss To The 9s Imperial IPA

overall

RATINGS: 46   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.59/5   EST. CALORIES: 297   ABV: 9.9%
The beer is an Imperial IPA brewed to celebrate 2009. Unlike most Imperial IPA’s that are very citrussy/piney from Pacific Northwest hops, To the 9’s uses a lot of noble hops for a more earthy, resinous, woodsy aroma and flavor. We used 9 different hop varieties so the beer is very complex.

Naven (1001) - Poway, California, USA - DEC 12, 2009
Bottle, from Bevmo Carmel Mtn. Bright amber/orange color. Big, huge piney nose. Flavor is also big on the stringent, piney hops. Very bitter, somewhat harsh. Some alcohol burn in the finish. At 10%, this holds the alcohol pretty well. As it stands, it’s a little rough around the edges for me. Like most Karl Strauss beers, I would imagine this is way better from the tap. I didn’t love this one, but i’m very pleased that KS continues to head in this direction.

CelticBrew (912) - The Crystal Coast, North Carolina, USA - DEC 25, 2009
Poured from bomber a clear and bright orangey hue that formed into a rather craggy head of foam. Lacing evident and the aroma was of pine resins, hoppage, field grass and malted grains. The flavour was full bodied, both creamy and sticky. Both hops and malts dominate as the cool, yet soft, carbonation swirls everything together. The beer is big, and begs to be consumed, alcohol dangerously hidden. Well made and tasty!

jsh12bama (761) - Alabama, USA - JAN 15, 2010
Draft at the Neighborhood in SD. Pours orange with bubbly, thin head. Aroma of grassy hops. Flavor has nice hop bite with good balance of malt. Medium mouthfeel. Easy drinking. Decent.

DeadGirl (478) - San Diego, California, USA - SEP 11, 2010
Pours a slightly hazed, orange color with pink highlights and moderate carbonation to give just a whisper of head from the 22oz. bomber (old bottle) into my pint glass. This is my first rating in months as I get back into the groove: Nose of cantalope, spiced cedar/oak, orange zest oils, caramel malts, and earthworm. Dry throughout. Bittering finish. Slight alcohol presence, though subdued by a strong under pull of malted sweetness. Drinkability: Strong, sweet, satiated. Rebuy: Yes. Pairing: Dried cranberries sprinkled over soft bread pudding. #471 on 11092010, DG.

HopHeadinAZ (180) - Arizona, USA - JUL 13, 2010
Bottle: Pours a hazy orange with a small ivory head. The aroma is dominated by citrus, mostly orange, some pine and sweet malt. The taste is mostly citrus with a hint of caramel and some alcohol burn/astringency on the finish. This beer is medium heavy and as I focus on the mouth feel it has a slightly oily character. This is a decent IIPA and a pleasant surprise from Karl Strauss.

jjh19 (63) - California, USA - JAN 31, 2010
Appearance: Beautiful amber leaning towards a touch of golden in color. The head was bright and full. I liked that it stuck around for a while too.

Smell: I get a lot of the citrus in the nose.

Taste: To The 9’s is labeled as an Imperial IPA. Because of this I was thinking I might be hit over the head with hops. Instead I get a real solid balance. I got some pine upfront but then there’s a unique underlying sweetness to the taste. That balance is one of my favorite things about To The 9’s.

Mouthfeel: This beer has a nice medium body to it. Not thin, but definitely not heavy. Thus, I’m going with "medium."

Drinkability: Oh yeah. Very drinkable. Each sip is interesting with the way the flavors work through from the hops to the malts. Sign me up for "To The 10’s."