Ken Schmidt / Iron Fist / Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout

overall

RATINGS: 280   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.84/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 288   ABV: 9.6%

TURDFERGUSON (4058) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - JAN 25, 2013
Bottle. Dark brown with a thin sudsy tan head and a reddish hue. First couple sniffs I get lots of clean green mint and begin to pick up a more mint chocolate note as the beer breathes and warms a bit. Buttery toffee rounds out the nose. Flavor is okay. Not as well integrated as the nose, at least at this point. Slightly astringent at first with a very vegetal-y green middle and more bitterness interspersed with sugar pockets. I was kind of afraid of this. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

geologyguy (1602) - Columbia, South Carolina, USA - JAN 24, 2013
pours thick and chocolaty... darkest beer I’ve ever had!! ever so slightly minty... but a bit too roasted and bitter for me....tastes good but finish is a bit harsh... a heavy stout

sloth (2905) - Ceciltucky, Co., Maryland, USA - JAN 22, 2013
Nice brown head, lasting with good lace. Black in appearance. Nose of grains, roast and mint. Body is full, oily with a gentle carboantion. Sweet, minty flavors. Light roasty notes, hint of coffee and chocolate. Lil too much peppermint patty action for me. Different and interesting. Drinkability is low. Lightly sweet, yorky finish. Meh.

TheHOFF43 (2052) - Robbinsdale, Minnesota, USA - JAN 19, 2013
Bottle. Pours black with a little creamy tan head. Aroma is boozy mint chocolate. Flavor is like mint chocolate chip ice cream mixed with liquor. Definitely interesting.

brystmar (1314) - Dallas, Texas, USA - JAN 18, 2013
Darkly roasted coffee layers atop a chocolatey mint base. Tons of bittersweet chocolate. Reminiscent of mint chocolate chip ice cream in liquid form. I really like this brew.

bpreo (2840) - Eugene, Oregon, USA - JAN 18, 2013
Mint, chocolate, oatmeal, Imperial Stout. Beer bliss. 9.6% alcohol. Original recipe was made by a San Diego guy named Ken Schmidt. Stone Brew Co. was assisted by some guy from Iron Fist Brew Co. in making this beer as well. They suggest letting it sit in the cellar for a few years before drinking. I don’t have a cellar, so I’m drinking it now. And even if I did have a cellar, I would still be drinking it now. The mint flavor is overwhelming. The Imperial Stout body is exceptional. This beer is really bad-ass.

SDalkoholic (2393) - Linda Vista, California, USA - JAN 14, 2013
Bottle from Sprout’s: Poured a black used motor oil color with a thick fluffy topping of head. Aroma is full of scents of chocolate and artificial mint which reminds me of a mint and chip ice cream. In addition, the aroma has rich roast malts with a whiff of alcohol in the background. The drink delivers a robust profile of roasted dark malts with hints of mint and shavings of sweet dark chocolate that come together in perfect balance making this an interesting Imperial stout.

Aubrey (3516) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - JAN 14, 2013
Delicious beer ... but I may be biased, as I love mint chocolate stouts. Great texture: full and smooth. Malt flavors were super rich and chocolaty. Perfect amount of sweetness. Great "mint chocolate chip ice cream" flavor. Snappy, balanced bitterness. Loved it.

blipp (9268) - La Mesa, California, USA - JAN 12, 2013
Bottle at Paul’s tasting. Near black with a beige head. Really weird notes of old crushed leaves on the nose initially, but after tasting the mint comes out more, as well as chocolate and roasted malts. An odd one for sure, I have no idea why my nose decided to lie to me initially.

jcwattsrugger (12420) - Florida and, New Jersey, USA - JAN 9, 2013
12oz bottle @Paul’s Blind Stout tasting-thin tan-black. A-sweet chocolate-dk malt. T-sweet chocolate-dk malt, some mint, herbal/spice bite.