Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter

overall

RATINGS: 295   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.86/5   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%

bhensonb (15355) - Woodland, California, USA - OCT 4, 2009
Bottle from Beverages4Less. Pours quite black with a fluffy 2-finger tan head. Lots of coffee aroma. Perhaps a hint of chocolate. Medium body with creamy carbonation. Flavor is strong, dark cofffee, almost approaching espresso. There is a strong suggestion of milk chocolate. Finishes towards dry. There’s bitter, and I don’t think it’s the coffee. Finishes much like a very good cup of coffee. With chocolate! Late note: It took quite awhile, but I now get the macadamia nut. Lends sort of a greasy/creamy aspect. Coffee and chocolate still seem primary though.

LtDan (1806) - Los Angeles County, California, USA - OCT 2, 2009
Appearance: Pours a midnight brown with a 1/4 inch, dense khaki colored head. Aroma: Prepared Kona coffee, ground Kona coffee beans, roasted malt. Taste: Bitter coffee and coffee grinds, macadamia nuts, toasted and burnt coconut, bitter chocolate, acidic coffee twang, and slight spicy hop notes. Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and very coating. Overall: This beer is very heavy on the coffee. If you are in the mood for a full flavored blast of good coffee with some spiciness, this is for you. I imagined this to be as sweet as Maui Coconut porter, but this is much drier and accentuates notes found in a cup of black coffee.

Naven (1000) - Poway, California, USA - SEP 30, 2009
GABF 2009. I haven’t loved much from Stone lately, but they hit this one out of the park. Essentially, this is everything I know and love about Hawaii, in a glass. Seriously, I can almost see hula dancers and awesome Luau’s underneath stars, and killer weed, and delicious coffee, and plate lunches, and that awesome grainy sand, and beautiful Asian women in Bikini’s and shave ice. While sipping this beer I honestly sat and thought about the fact that I need a vacation. I ask you, how many beers do that?

Snojerk321 (2960) - San Diego, California, USA - SEP 29, 2009
12oz bottle from BevMo La Jolla. Pours a deep coffee brown with a thick beige/ tan head. The brew had a heavy viscosity. Nose was bursting with coffee (a bit over done in my opinion). I pick up some chocolate and hints of coconut as well. Flavor is of fresh roasted coffee, toasted malts and a faint hint of booze. A pretty tasty beer overall, I guess I’m just sick of everybody pushing too much coffee in there stouts and porters.

DaSilky1 (2606) - San Diego, California, USA - SEP 28, 2009
pours dark brown with a thin, spherical deep brown frothiness. The nose is quite nice with chocolate and coffee and weirdly enough, i can smell the macadamia nuts...and the way the chocolate is draped over them is quite superb. For flavors..i get chocolate and the coconut..a get a little vanilla and/or bourbony notes as well though i assume those are bi-products of something else. Chocolatey finish. There’s an odd flavor under all of this though that I’m at a loss of words to explain (which doesnt happen very often)...it may be the macadamia and coconut combination, i don’t know for certain. I also don’t know whether I have positive or negative feelings about this new found flavor. Overall though, i believe the beer is a success.

iowaherkeye (2703) - Ocean Beach, San Diego, California, USA - SEP 26, 2009
12oz bottle for $6.99 @ Hi-Time Wine. Black with a one finger creamy tan head, good retention, fair retention. Lots of cold coffee up front in the nose with some nondescript nuttiness and caramel behind. I can get coconut if I dig and convince myself. Stronger coconut in the flavor along with the coffee and dark chocolate, which is very nice. Still some nuts, but couldn’t place them as macadamias. A little soy snuck its way in as well. Bitterness in the dry coconut finish peaked at a 3, and was not burnt (hooray). The alcohol is masked well. The coconut lingers a while after the swallow. Medium full body with moderate carbonation. Very good beer. It would be nice to see this in six-packs, I agree, but I won’t buy it for 42 bucks.

JohnC (3008) - Mission Viejo, California, USA - SEP 25, 2009
12oz bottle from Pacific Park Market, Aliso Viejo. Black pour with a tan head, Nice coffee aroma and flavor accompanied by the roastiness of the macs and coconuts. I also got some chocolate hints in there too. Great beer. Please put this in six packs.

ajm (1072) - Los Angeles, California, USA - SEP 25, 2009
Ninth rating of this brew. Bottle at Stuffed Sandwich. Nose is really dark and rotten-grainy. Color is flat black. Flavor is a very full roasty/burnt coffee. I didn’t get nuts, coco or otherwise. Very disappointing. If it was just a Kona coffee porter, fine. But if you list flavoring agents, deliver.

WeeHeavySD (3387) - Portland, Oregon, USA - SEP 25, 2009
8th rating, 12oz from Whole Foods Hillcrest. Pours rich black with a light brown head. Nose is potent, lots of coffee, and rich roasty notes, as well as some smokiness. Taste is sweet, with a big cocoa,nutty chocolate bite. Damn this is an exceptional imperial porter.

daleharshman (1065) - Escondido, California, USA - SEP 24, 2009
12 ounce bottle purchased at Beverages 4 Less ($7.99). Pours a very dark brown-black with small beige head. Aroma of roasted malts, cocoa, and light but earthy coffee. Flavor is mostly rich coffee along with more subtle flavors of cocoa powder, toasted nuttiness, and only a hint of the coconut. The finish has a strong earthy coffee flavor that lingers to the point that you feel you’ve actually just drunk coffee and not beer (alcohol is quite well hidden). This is quite good, but I would like to have seen the coconut and macadamia flavors more prevalent.