Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter

overall

RATINGS: 296   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.86/5   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%

dcschiller (2208) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - AUG 9, 2010
(12 oz bottle). Pours almost black with 1" tan head. Aroma of dark roasted coffee, chocolate and nuts. Dark cherries also? Taste is sweet with slight burnt dryness/bitterness following. Yummy! Medium bodied with a creamy/oily texture. Finish has some bitterness, but it is mostly a dry roasted coffee bitterness. I’ve come to realize how much I like these coffee porters/stouts. This would make a good beer on a football sunday, after real coffee, and during preparation of brunch/lunch before the games.

JoeMcPhee (9426) - Toronto, ON, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 9, 2010
Deep black pour with a thick tan head. The nose is a bit odd – sort of a bit of tartness on the nose as well as a light coconut character. Softly roasty flavour with a pronounced coffee character. Light sweet cocoa over a toasted malt sweetness. A bit of earthiness – can’t say I’m a huge fan.

scraff (2121) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - AUG 7, 2010
12 oz bottle – Gingerman – NYC. Deep black, thick tan head. Nutty earth and coffee nose swirls over currents of toasted coconut throughout. Earthed- coffee and nutty coconut flavors round well with a light berry tone and a slap of Stone hop bitterness. Medium to full bodied, medium carbonation, coffee-nut finish. I would drink six packs of this brew anytime of the year. A great collaboration…

BuckeyeBoy (7669) - Boise, Idaho, USA - JUL 28, 2010
Bottle Thanks to JohnGalt. Pours out almost black topped with a tan head. Aroma was very nice toasted coconuts, coffee, and light sweetness. Taste more of the coffee and roasted coconut. It also had a little milk chocolate taste. I was pumped when Toby pulled this one out, I had been wanting to try this from the first day I heard about it. Thanks buddy.

ehhdayton (1188) - USA - JUL 23, 2010
Pours dark brownish black. Has rich aromas of coffee, chocolate, and nuts. Flavor is a mixture of coffee and chocolate at first and finishes with a touch of nuts and coconuts.

Dfonorow (2216) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUL 22, 2010
This porter pours brown/black with a thin off-white head that fades very quickly. The aroma is of nuts, chocolate, barley, and coffee. The taste is very unique and actually tastes much like the name of the beer - initial flavor of coconuts and macadamia nuts, and then it transitions into a coffee and barley finish. Overall the beer is kinda watery, the best way to describe it would be that it tastes like Guinness mixed with coffee, macadamia nuts, and coconuts. Strange, but good.

Gethinbeer (2452) - Nova Scotia, CANADA - JUL 14, 2010
Cheers JoeMcPhee. Roasted malt, coffee aroma. a little bitter maybe. Liquorice black in appearance with a frothy tan head and lace. Bitter texture. Bitter flavour of coffee, nuts and chocolate. Quite earthy. Tinny somehow. Not sure on this beer. It doesn’t seem to come together very well. Shame because its sounds awesome. Bad bottle. I don’t know.

RollinHard (1024) - Fort Worth, Texas, USA - JUL 6, 2010
Thanks to smokepot23 for this! Pours dark black with a mostly small, light brown head. Fades to a ring quickly. Aroma is definitely strong on the coffee beans and nuts, and downright tangy in that regard. There’s also dirt, toffee, peanut brittle, and a slight lactose element. Interesting. Tastes of dark chocolate, peanut brittle, acidic nutty coffee, dirt...I’m getting something fruity in an acidic sort of way? Finishes dry and roasty with plenty of bitterness, coffee (which finally tastes more normal), earth and a slight bit of lingering dark chocolate. Fizzy mouthfeel, medium bodied, and pretty hot. It’s pretty decent, but a few sips in and I’m starting to think I’m losing interest in the flavor. Oh well.

dimenhetfield (2486) - , Florida, USA - JUL 4, 2010
Big thanks to Tony for sharing this one. After reading about this beer a few months ago I was more then pleasantly surprised when a new beer friend was able to bring it to a tasting to share. The aromas where simply outstanding. Coconut, roasted nuts, spice, coffee and malts. It was probably one of the best porters I’ve had in a very long time. The collaboration of the coconut, macadamia nut, and coffee is just a match made in heaven.

andyhwcinc (1884) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUL 2, 2010
UPDATED: JUL 28, 2011 I picked this up in Seattle while on vacation. To say this is a hard find is an understatement...I’ve been looking for this far and wide, up and down the west coast, from San Diego (including the Stone Brewery) to Seattle...and I finally found it in a small grocery store in Seattle. Aroma is very nutty, also has a strong coffee presence and a faint coconut backing, much more faint than Maui Brewing’s Coconut Porter. Appearance is just beautiful, pure black with a creamy white head. It’s in a wine glass right now and it just looks lovely. Taste embodies and enhances everything that’s found in the aroma - coconut, nuts, coffee, chocolate. It’s very smooth, and it masks the alcohol content. It’s also sweet, a definite dessert beer. For this to be so rare is just mean...especially at $10 for a 12 oz bottle. With what I enjoy in beers and the balances that I enjoy, I can’t imagine how a beer can get any better than this. If I do find a beer that is better, I’ll lower my rating. Until then, this is the perfect beer for me.........OK, Goose Island Bourbon County Coffee Stout is also perfect, but I think there’s room for at least 2 perfect beers in this world.