overall
Brewed by Kereru Brewing Company
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Upper Hutt, New Zealand

RATINGS: 11   MEAN: 3.02/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.99/5   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
A strong Belgian ale with nashi pear aroma. Goes well with a nutty, soft, washed-rind cheese like Kapiti Ramara.

explosivedog (1295) - Auckland, NEW ZEALAND - JUN 15, 2017
On tap at Brother’s Beer. Pours copper. Banana, cloves, hazelnuts, bread. Not too bad.

Skarecrow (777) - North Shore, Auckland, NEW ZEALAND - DEC 4, 2016
500ml bottle. Hazy amber with little head. Aroma is banana, bread and a touch of rum cask. Mild bitterness followed by slight phenolic note. Lacking complexity for a BSA - not one of Kereru’s better ones I’m afraid.

dathzo (28) - NETHERLANDS - FEB 12, 2015
Bottle in Greymouth. Poor attempt of a Belgian Strong Ale. Funky flavour and not a proper balance.

GlassBrass440 (321) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - DEC 25, 2014
330ml bottle. Pours gold with red hues. Small white head that quickly fades to the edges. Little in the way of lacing. Aroma is of strong apple cider. Flavor is of basic Belgian phenols and a touch of alcohol that becomes more prominent as it warms. Yes it’s a Belgian strong ale, but it’s nothing spectacular.

omega (900) - NEW ZEALAND - MAY 6, 2014
This is one I just don’t get, and this the second time I have tried it. First time I thought I would be nice and say it was the bottle. Yes belgian influence, but the nose and flavours I would say is a more licorice aniseed with a hint of ginger. For some reason I can not get black jellybeans out of my mind - I was never good with fruit - lollies however....

Pdubyah (745) - Auckland, NEW ZEALAND - APR 4, 2014
This is really thin, thin on aroma, really thin on taste and missing in action on carry, length and finish. It might have flashes of the bar it’s trying to reach but it’s the Jamaican bobsled team of beer, Not for me.

beer-yum (1780) - Wellington, NEW ZEALAND - FEB 7, 2014
UPDATED: JAN 1, 2015 Was a spectacular beer when sampled last year. "Velvet" accurately describes the smoothness - while "Boot" is an accurate indication of the power. And that’s the only drawback - it is next to impossible to enjoy in the quantities one would want. However, the one I had recently was not in the same league - so I’ve rated down a notch and will try it again in a few months to see what a third try brings.

Cantabrian (1143) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - JAN 11, 2014
Nice beer, headless, with great aroma of apple, oranges, banana, pineaples and honey, all within that old cellar feel that is expected for the style. Flavours follow on, with strong honey and great resinous mouthfeel. I don’t like what I see, but I like what I drink.

Jimthechap (2064) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - JAN 10, 2014
When in Wellington... I’m delighted to finally be able to review a Kereru ale, having been waiting for my chance for over a year. It’s a rich burnished golden colour with just about no head on it whatsoever. A good sniff brings a few observations: that this beer has typical Strong Belgian aromas and is probably quite well brewed; the other observation, is that at 8.0%abv, it is probably fodder for causing erectile dysfunction. It amazes me that with beer of this magnitude coming from the wonder-country, that there’s any Belgians left. So anyway, it’s a rich tasting little sod this one. Ripe peaches and stewed apricots along with dustings of nutmeg. It has a very generous flavour and an oily body. With richness comes reward. It’s pretty bloody tasty.

kiwianer (3428) - Otorohanga, NEW ZEALAND - NOV 16, 2013
The head is good, the body brown. It smells fruity, plum, raisins, refreshing. The taste is refreshing, fruity, raisins, aromatic, maltaromatic, less hoppy, special yeasty. Overall a very nice and aromatic beer!