overall
RATINGS: 131   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.94/5   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Don't let its looks deceive you. Though it may resemble a porter or a stout, this is a light bodied ale with a pleasant hint of molasses. Don't be afraid of the dark.

oreocowgirl3 (1) - marquette, Michigan, USA - JAN 1, 2015 does not count
Exactly what the info says. I don’t like dark beers and usually stay away from anything that even looks dark. I tried this beer first in a can and was very happy. Then ordered it somewhere and out came this dark looking beer. I was shocked! It was what I asked for. This beer is really good and as a girl from the Michigan living in the upper peninsula, I am proud of my state. This beer is great. Try some other kewenaw beers too.

durke718 (4) - De Pere, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 4, 2017 does not count
Pours black with brown head. A strong bourbon and licorice aroma. A strong dark fruit, prune, licorice, and bourbon taste. A lingering dark fruit and bourbon aftertaste.

mrhowes (22) - St. Paul, Minnesota, USA - JUL 21, 2016
Nice and dark but smooth and easy to drink, even in the summer, even for those who don’t like dark beers.

Aggie80 (818) - Michigan, USA - SEP 8, 2013
Dark pour with a choppy aroma. Much lighter flavor than expected. Definitely getting more!

vomit (260) - Michigan, USA - OCT 7, 2009
OK, this stuff is good. Not great. Much lighter taste than the hue would imply. But I would definitely slam some of these if I had some in front of me right now. I don’t so I can’t. In these troubled times our age-old friend Blatz is always there for you, so if I were you (I’m not) that’s what I would stick to. Think about it.

BrownALEx (459) - Portland, Michigan, USA - NOV 12, 2012
Pours a beautiful black with a creamy tan head. Aroma has notes of roasted malts and coffee. Taste is malty, I can’t put my finger on what else I taste but it’s good, no hops detected. Palate is medium bodied, very smooth. Overall this is a great beer, the best one I’ve had from Keweenaw. Very smooth, very black, very good.

ramichaud (1) - - JUN 7, 2014 does not count
Just plain good. Say ya to da U.P., eh? Dark, yet light bodied. Malty flavor. Great beer. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

thehoff (598) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - MAR 11, 2009
PPWD at Radisson. This was much better than the Pick Axe Blonde. This one was poured right from the keg, from the brewer himself who was a very likable guy. The beer is dark with nice tan head. Does look and act like a nice porter with some of those deep coffee and caramel flavors but much lighter. This was a very nice beer.

crossovert (12874) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - FEB 21, 2011
Another experience with craft beer in a can which sadly can’t be recycled for homebrewing. Pours into my pinta dark brown/black. It looks mega stout like. It also has a small foamy tannish/off-white head tat leaves some lacing. Smell is a mix of dark malts and sugar, namely brown sugar. There is a hint of nuttiness and not much hops. Tastes roasty, nutty, dark, with some can taste in the first few sips and hints of chocolate and coffee. The mouthfeel is pretty good, it is light, but not watery, it helps this beer to go down really smooth. That being said, it is a bit too light, seems like a good summer session beer but nothing too amazing flavor wise. Overall it is a highly drinkable brew, nothing I would grab again probably, but worth a try at least. Serving type: can Reviewed on: 01-07-2010 23:26:26

mallons72 (208) - livonia, Michigan, USA - AUG 11, 2012
Very good - well balanced schwarzbier. I would definitely take this again in the can.