overall
Brewed by Kirin Brewery Company
Style: Pale Lager
Tokyo, Japan

RATINGS: 1673   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.18/5   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%
Finest barley malt, premium hops, smooth finish, no bitter aftertaste.

Editor's Note: Also brewed in the US: "Anheuser-Busch began brewing Kirin Lager, Kirin Ichiban and Kirin Light at its Los Angeles brewery in 1997. The agreement marks the first time Anheuser-Busch has produced foreign brands for sale in the United States."

blkitson (158) - Westerville, Ohio, USA - DEC 25, 2006
This being my fist attempt at Japanese beer wasn’t a total disappointment. Not a bad color when hitting the glass, but the head disappated quite rapidly. The taste was somewhat sweet but I have no idea sweet of what. If I was in Japan, I would now know one beer to order.

jonno (2877) - JAPAN - DEC 25, 2006
UPDATED: DEC 2, 2009 My beer of choice when it comes to the japanesemacrobrewries...has that little something extra that makes it that bit smoother and refreshing

SmellGood (339) - Memphis, Tennessee, USA - DEC 19, 2006
May have elevated my rating because this went spectacular with squid sushi. Very average but will order whenever Japanese is served.

lasonovich (151) - AUSTRALIA - DEC 17, 2006
Another pale lager that is very Japanese. Still better than american beers but very light without a great deal flavour. I could take it or leave it but it wasn’t really memorable.

WSSmiles (124) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - DEC 17, 2006
UPDATED: DEC 19, 2006 Poured bottle. It was very average all the way around, not a thing exciting about this beer. Aroma was hop and malt. When poured it was a golden yellow, with a small white head that was very carbonated. Palate was non existant. Flavor was a water down Bud. Sorry not again.

jrob21 (3772) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - DEC 17, 2006
Yep, not a lot exciting going on here. Not sure if I should even rate this one but, here it goes. Reminds me of Bub light with a different wrapper.

User42649 (209) - - DEC 11, 2006
12 oz. bottle. Deep golden with nice white head. Lacing OK. Not a lot of flavor, but at least it had some (re: Sapporo). Malty, no discernable hop flavor or aroma. Equal to the best US macro. Compared to other choices at the Japanese steakhouse in which I tried it, it was unfortunately the best. Not too bad, not too good. And definitely not "just right."

TomDecapolis (4618) - Milton, Delaware, USA - DEC 2, 2006
Pours a translucent goldne with an average bubbly white head that diminished. Aroma was grassy, sweet malts, slight hop presence. Beer was crisp, dry and refreshing. Some grainy sweet malts, bread, rice and a light hop bitterness. Went alright with the sushi I was having.

HarryFlashman (469) - Chatham, Kent, ENGLAND - NOV 18, 2006
I drank this out of a 330ml bottle not a ridiculous looking can like the one adjacent! Like Asahi, this is a very dry beer, but almost equally as good and refreshing. I have to say that it hasn’t got a great deal of taste, but that means it slips down a treat. At 5% I could see myself getting well and truly rat-arsed on this on a night out with the lads in a Japanese city like Peking or Bangkok. One might say that this is a kamakazi of a beer that could leave you with a Hiroshima of a headache in the morning given half a chance!!!

eyesandsmiles (179) - Mission Viejo, California, USA - NOV 16, 2006
I liked it slightly more than sapporo. all in all i think its a pretty decent beer. dry and smooth.