overall
Brewed by Kirin Brewery Company
Style: Pale Lager
Tokyo, Japan

RATINGS: 1689   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.18/5   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%
Finest barley malt, premium hops, smooth finish, no bitter aftertaste.

Editor's Note: Also brewed in the US: "Anheuser-Busch began brewing Kirin Lager, Kirin Ichiban and Kirin Light at its Los Angeles brewery in 1997. The agreement marks the first time Anheuser-Busch has produced foreign brands for sale in the United States."

stouby (4666) - Holbæk, DENMARK - DEC 28, 2005
Bottle, in Gothenburg (040413). Fully golden with a white head. Aroma light malty (corn, rice) and hoppy. Flavor light sweet and bitter. Light body. My version was 5,5% .

oldrtybastrd (5002) - Fort Walton Beach, Florida, USA - DEC 27, 2005
Pours a light golden yellow color. Aromas of grains and maybe some minor hop action. Flavor was crisp, but sort a bland. Still better than most lagers.

yayforbeer (753) - Orange Park, Florida, USA - DEC 26, 2005
12 oz bottle. Given to me by some Japanese exchange students that I hosted for Christmas. Aroma of mild pale malts and hops. Pretty much indistinguishable from any other macro lager. Flavor is also mild and indistinguishable, though pleasant and inoffensive. Probably a good sushi beer, I’ll give that a try at the first opportunity. Not bad.

JFURYCAT (1078) - East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 26, 2005
This one has a lingering maltiness which made it real difficult for me to finish. There are some hops and breadiness here and it isn’t very well blended. I swear I had a great Kirin lager before but this wasn’t it.

HazelRah (276) - Summerland, British Columbia, CANADA - DEC 15, 2005
Cleam, sweet, banana aroma. (By clean I mean not-adjuncty.) Blonde with minor head, quickly gone leaving the golden nectar to speak for itself. It spoke with a hint of honey, lager bitterness and solid blonde malt. Pleasant buttery finish. (I feel compelled to add that I drank this at cellar temp; I’m sure it’s a great deal blander straight outta the fridge.)

0.8
TheBeerOrg (2145) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - DEC 7, 2005
Pours an unnatural golden color with a fully receding white head. Aroma is corn, rice, DMS, and no barley to speak of. Taste has metallic bitterness and corny stale cardboard ’maltiness’. Mouthfeel is sticky (nasty), light/medium bodied with high carbonation. Overall, when compared with Kirin Light, which I just rated, I have to say this is the more disgusting of the two. Being fuller bodied and more sweet just seems to increase my dislike of this beer. No redeeming qualities, at least the Light version was refreshing. I decided this beer wasn’t worth finishing, so this foul liquid found a new home in the sewers. When will the pale lager pain end??

1.4
DonMagi (5593) - bantervile, Bedfordshire, ENGLAND - DEC 4, 2005
This is the best japanese beer iv had, and well though that doesnt say much this is a hell of a lot better than the others.Aroma is minimal, less corn than normal, more hops. Taste is littly sweet but a reasonable body for a pale lager, with some malt and hops saying something at least and trying its best to stay away from baked beans and corn.

tsarman (794) - Northern, New Jersey, USA - NOV 30, 2005
Wow, a surprise! A Japanese pale lager. What a miracle. Boring though not horrible. Just a normal beer.

AmazonMatt (285) - PANAMA - NOV 29, 2005
Look, this beer is a pale lager, so you have to rate it for the style. We’ve got lots of very crappy pale lagers here in Panama, and this one is MUCH, MUCH better. I didn’t get the corn or rice tastes, I got a nice softly malted barley and very mild hops. Not bad at all for the style.

Papsoe (25063) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - NOV 23, 2005
(Bottle 33 cl) British version brewed by Charles Wells in Bedford. 5,5% ABV in my version called "Kirin Ichiban Kirin’s Prime Brew". Fully golden with a creamy head. Soft, lightly sweet with both corn and rice added. Not much aroma. Or body. Or flavour. Or bitterness. But yes, it does quench your thirst. 260201