overall
Brewed by Kizakura Sake Brewing Co. Ltd.
Style: Golden Ale/Blond Ale
Fushimi-ku, Kyoto, Japan

RATINGS: 46   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.62/5   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%
Kyotos first local beer in 1995. It has a good aroma, and is crisp and rich. We have used our own Fushimi water, and Seishu sake yeast for a slight sake-like aroma in this mellow, pale-gold beer.

joergen (29216) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - MAY 15, 2015
Bottle at Ungstrup. Hazy amber colored with a medium sized white head. Fruity aroma of hops and grass. Fruity flavor of hops and grass. Hoppy finish.

Tonkun (1306) - New Jersey, USA - JUL 13, 2015
Bottle. Hazy yellow orange pour with a white head that dissipated relatively quickly. Citrus, grass, fruits. Aroma is really refreshing. Body is light, almost watery. Easy to drink, especially after a very hot and humid day. Refreshing citrus finish. Very good Japanese summer beer that goes well with most Japanese food

jaghana (6280) - Strasbourg (Alsace), FRANCE - JAN 4, 2016
Bottle 33cl, a cloudy copper beer with huge white head. Nose is on grain, almond and sweet sake, light floral / violette notes. Aroma is on grain, less sweet, vegetables and almond notes, hazelnut touch, sour and rancid background. Strange but quite complex for the alcohol level.

andrepintado (3661) - Porto, PORTUGAL - FEB 9, 2016
Bottle in Lisbon. Clear gold color. Persistent white head. Medium bitterness. Aroma is floral, malty, Hoppy. Small interesting bacteria aroma.

jinroh (2276) - ESTONIA - JUL 5, 2016
Grainy golden, slightly hazy, it of foam. Aroma has some flowery grain character. Some wet cardboard also. Taste is relatively light, slightly grassy and has some yeasty character - not your usual lager, which is a definite plus. Still drink easy and does not have awful lot of character. Again, I think I got a fresh can this time, feels quite nice.

faroeviking (11214) - Chupando chellas es como ellas, FAROE ISLANDS - JUN 24, 2017
Botella. Kizakura Kyoto Flavor of Sake Brewery Beer. Golden colour, medium white head. Sweet malty aroma with some frutiness to it. Sweet flavour, malty fruity rice, floral, medium bitterness.

Capa (3435) - Kitsap, Washington, USA - JAN 19, 2009
Weak gold with a bright white head. Intensely floral aroma, yeast, I do pick up some sake similar notes, also. Sweet malts and fruit finish the aroma. Very interesting, unlike any pale lager I’ve had. Thin body. Sweet, lightly sour, spicy, and malts. Any hops are overpowered by the malt and yeast profile. A very interesting brew. Unfortunately it is on par with other Kizakura brews- well made, but not something I’d go out of my way to find.

Tim Webb (470) - Bristol, Gloucestershire, ENGLAND - SEP 29, 2010
On draught at the brewpub. Well yes. I have no idea what a sake yeast is supposed to do to a mainly barley beer but this might be it. I think that odd set of backtastes in an otherwise pleasant enough thinnish blonde ale is likely to be what happens when you use a specialist yeast to make omething in which it does not specialise.

KansaiBeerLvrs (5372) - Kyoto, JAPAN - JAN 26, 2013
Bottle, it poured a slightly opaque straw color with almost no head. My first impression from the aroma was a kind of sake sweetness which when I saw it listed on Untappd as a Japanese rice lager kind of made sense. The commercial description on ratebeer backs this up so it is definitely noticeable. At first I was kind of disappointed as I felt it had more of a sake than beer profile which wasn’t at all what I was expecting (the bottle was a gift and I started drinking it without knowing anything about the beer). At that point I’d have rated it as a 1 out of 5 but as I accepted it for what it is a beer with a kind of fruity sake taste it grew on me and boosted my rating to 3/5. It is interesting and something definitely made in Japan, worth a try. It is definitely not a bland lager. Looking at the ratings here I’d drink it bottled or on tap in Japan, I had no idea this was sold in cans. Maybe that is just for export...

yespr (47545) - Copenhagen O, DENMARK - MAY 15, 2015
33 cl bottle. Pours hazy yellow with a huge white head. Aroma is grassy, toasted malty. Smooth fruity, citrusy and bitter. Toasted malty. Bitter and slight fruity finish.