overall
RATINGS: 63   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.63/5   IBU: 80   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Attention citizens of America! The reds are among us! An Imperial Red was spotted in the vicinity of Knee Deep Brewing Co. It has disguised itself with a heavy dose of hops in the kettle and even more in the fermenter. To further allude detection, it has added a slight spice from rye. Do NOT be fooled. This is not a west coast style IPA. This a delicious and extremely dangerous Imperial Red. Do not try to approach it by yourself. McCarthy’s Bane is here and very real. If you share this beer with your comrades, be prepared to find your name on a list in McCarthy’s briefcase. It may be on draft in select quality beer establishments around you. Be advised! McCarthy’s Bane is a malty, somewhat spicy, yet very hoppy brew that is dry hopped and brewed with huge amounts of Pacific Northwest hops. Yes, we use rye in this amazing brew.

prettyham (28) - California, USA - NOV 16, 2012
Not to many Imperial Red Ales out there these days and this one is on top. Great aroma, perfect balance between the hops and slight malts sweetness. I will be buying more.

DocJitsu (2035) - Pensacola, Florida, USA - MAY 10, 2013
Beautiful crystal clear, deep copper color with a light taupe head. The head has excellent retention atop this stunning and inviting beer. The aromas are clean and of Christmas pull candy and competing grass and grapefruit. The mouthfeel is a bit creamy, wet, slick, with a little carbonation and hop burn just before the finish. A bit of biscuit and toffee up front, leading into a touch of tart cherry, and finishes grassy with grapefruit bitterness, not necessarily flavor. This is an enjoyable beer.

Guerde (1297) - Leuven, BELGIUM - APR 30, 2013
(bottle from comrade bhensonb Благода& Билла!) Pours a clear dark crimson color with a medium light tan head and significant lacing. Aroma consists of a perfectly matched combo of hops and malt, with scents of grapefruit, orange, pine, peanut brittle, and cinnamon and sugar-coated doughnuts. Flavor also holds cinnamon (must be the Chinook speaking), caramel, pine, and iced tea. Tangerine makes an appearance with further warming and only accentuates the existing complexity on offer. The beer finishes with a pleasant bitterness that’s coupled with the spicy and slightly bready rye. Mouthfeel is medium and carbonation is very smooth, save for a tiny tingle of carb this could’ve been mistaken for a cask serving. Overall this is a quality imperial red, and is one of, if not the, best example I’ve ever tried. Certainly this beer is fit for any member of the proletariat. Thanks again Bill!

hayduke (5634) - Eureka, California, USA - JUL 21, 2013
This was shared with Strykzone via Facebook Chat. Pours almost clear very dark copper color. Big light tan head. Good lacing. Attractive beer. Nose is citrus hops and rich malts. Medium to bold body. Smooth creamy mouthfeel. Flavor is big rich malts and a ton of hops; Simply assaults the taste buds. The finish is grapefruit. The alcohol is hidden. This is a really big and powerful beer. Simply amazing. Love it

Jimthechap (2064) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - OCT 3, 2013
When I was young my mother told me there would be an ale that gave me a sudden vision of clarity, a breathtaking outlook of clarity and suddenly the world would make sense when I supped such an ale. This wasn’t the ale she meant. In fact, it is hard to envisage which ale she meant as I was only seven at the time and now I am 35. If my mother could be burnt at the stake as some sort of seer, she would have espoused that the ale I have in front of me was red like a red thing and a cream coloured head with a slight greenish tinge. There must be hops here somewhere.. A snort from the nose reveals amber resinous hops with niffs of resin, spruce, herbal grassiness and a good lungful of apricot, nectarine, dehydrated peaches and biscuits. A taste suggests that and an up-front fruity-tartness that reverts into bitter astringency of unripe apricots and a mouthful of flavour, which makes me think that I’m not sorry I had this beer at all. So there you go. A champ in my book. Big like.