Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter

overall
Formerly brewed at Kona Brewing Company
Style: Porter
Kailua Kona, Hawaii USA

RATINGS: 17   MEAN: 3.22/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.09/5   SEASONAL: Special   ABV: -

22415brewery (379) - Washington, USA - APR 11, 2012
On tap at Lunchbox Laboratory in Seattle, WA. Pours a medium brown with minimal white head with loose bubbles. Aroma is of mildly oily toasted coconut and a touch of fruit. Tastes like a thin and generic brown ale with a subtle coconut aftertaste. Not overly malty, not overly nutty, hops exist only for bitterness. There’s a strange vegetal aftertaste and slightly slick mouthfeel that leads to a disappointing finish.

strings (377) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - MAR 21, 2010
On tap at Cafe Mambo in Maui. Was really looking forward to this one when I saw it on the menu, and while it was quite tasty, they just didn’t quite pull it off. Still searching for that elusive coconut beer... sigh.

GL2814 (361) - New York, New York, USA - MAR 9, 2013
The coconut flavor is subtle but present, but like most of the kona’s I have had, this beer falls flat both in palate and overall enjoyability.

clong83 (285) - San Diego, California, USA - JAN 22, 2009
This thing is like a milk stout on steroids. Very sweet malts evident, and yes, it tastes like coconut. Somewhat smoky, and has a bit of hop spiciness just to remind you it’s a porter. Otherwise very smooth. It’s a well-done beer for sure, but it’s an oddball. Wasn’t bad, but also got old towards the end of the glass.

tilldeath (109) - Arvada, Colorado, USA - SEP 30, 2008
Great beer wish it was more available, top 10 for sure. I was only able to try this at 07 GABF, hoping for it to be there in a few weeks at 08 GABF. I like unique beers, this really fit the bill. Dark as you’d expect from a porter, little to no lacing, tan head, with a medium mouth feel, light enough to be drank all day. Coconut flavor is first, and a winner for sure, followed by mild chocolate/mocha/coffee flavor, finished by a mild bitter, sweet, smokey goodness. If you’re at GABF or in Maui pick some up!

clevelandbruno (58) - Half Moon Bay, California, USA - JUL 8, 2011
I’m not a big fan of Porter beer but a buddy of mine gave me one and this is a very interesting beer. The coconut takes away the stiffness and makes it easy to drink. I wouldn’t recommend this beer for much but if you want a taste of the island, then this one might be for you.
Cheers!

IceHole (10) - Hayden, Idaho, USA - JUN 24, 2012
Great balance of roasty porter goodness with just the right amount of coconut flavor.

bb0bbby (2) - USA - DEC 4, 2010 does not count
I fantasize about getting this beer again. I can find some similar but nothing that gets it done like this porter does. Chocolatey, hint of coffee and not too overpowering coconut make this one of my all-time favorites. Live cultures keep it from coming to the intercontinental US i believe.

BeerMan34 (1) - Michigan, USA - JAN 17, 2012 does not count
This is an excellent beer to try if you can get your hands on it. I had a sampler and a full glass on a local visit to the brewery-restaurant.

I’m not a huge fan of coconut in general, but this beer was tasty. Partially because I was in the mood due to the location/vibe and wanting something unique (I’m otherwise a hop head).

The coconut is front and center in the aftertaste and aroma.

I will have another the next time I’m there.