overall
Brewed by La Caracole
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Falmignoul, Belgium

RATINGS: 1247   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.67/5   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
ABV may vary between 9% - 10%.

emacgee (4680) - Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA - MAY 5, 2007
Pours a dark brown, doesnt have the texture I would expect out of a Belgian. The head is huge, creamy, and light brown. The aroma was sweet, slightly sour, yeasty. The palate was a tad harsh and sour, slight cherry, tad vinous, and a dry alcohol. The palate is a little thin for a Belgian. Reminded me of a Flemish Sour toned down.

mgermani (1002) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - APR 28, 2007
Pours a dark amber with a gorgeous creamy egg-white head with great lace. Sweet malt and slightly ferric aroma. Tastes of sweet cherries and currants, apricot (says the wife). Interesting vinous aftertaste, very light hops. Annoying ferric (blood-iron) taste prevalent in many dubbels - is this a shelf-life issue? Diacetyl? Creamy thick body, good carb. This is a tasty beer, ferric taste aside. A well-balanced dubbel, reminds me of Christmas pudding.

wheninhell (488) - chicago, Illinois, USA - APR 27, 2007
Thanks to Brandon at Carley Raes for this one! cloudy brown with a disappearing tan head. aroma molasses black pepper. sweet molasses slightly spicy black pepper flavor. medium dry finish. medium to full body. decent.

harrisoni (18819) - Ashford, Kent, ENGLAND - APR 21, 2007
33cl bottle from Noel Cuveliers. I have never had a beer that spumed this much. This was a real gusher. I felt like a grand prix driver spraying a bottle of champagne at the end of the race as the beer soaked my sofa, floor, leg and left sock. 3/4 of it went on various bits of furniture and clothing. Certainly the most entertaining beer I’ve had. I sat there laughing uncontrollably even though it soaked everything I’ve ever owned. Orange/amber beer with beige head. Some syrupy tangerine fruit and goodish hop. Unsubtle, but certainly my funniest beer of the year.

MikeHernandez (50) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - APR 12, 2007
Aroma: Molasses, port, fruit, sugar, alcohol, raisin, quite a wonderful aroma. Appearance: Medium sized, light brown, creamy head, mostly lasting, dark brown hue, very hard to see through. Flavor: Amazing! Initial flavor is sweet and rich, finishes with a hint of bitterness, probably from the alcohol, and a sweet nutty flavor. Palate: Average carbonation, creamy texture.

truebluehes (202) - Tipton, Iowa, USA - APR 11, 2007
Caramel color. Great aroma, very malty/fruity. Medium bodied; flavor is excellent. Fairly carbonated, yet smooth.

CheersMate (1343) - Portland (Sellhood), Oregon, USA - MAR 31, 2007
A caramel colored beer that is pretty good. The smell is very malty and fruity. I love the smell. It is a Belgian Strong that actually carries a smell. The taste is nice. The beer is not as creamy as I would like it, but the ABV makes up for that. I like the ABV it adds a warmth to the beer. The Abt are my preference, but this is just fine. The beer is very fruity. I would say a raisin/plum flavor, and very malty. Good beer.

Cajun (534) - Lafayette, Louisiana, USA - MAR 30, 2007
Bottle - Reddish brown color. Yeasty, spicy, complex nose. Malty fruit, warming alcohol, hint of salt, plums. Hard to describe, my palate is not refined as of yet. I liked it.

3fourths (9349) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - MAR 25, 2007
Bottle. Age unknown. Murky glowing dark amber colored body with a soft but firm looking tan head. Yeast esters dominate the nose with scents of banana and sweet bread. Sweet and sticky up front but balanced by a starchy yeast and hop characters. Some pleasing overripe oranges and other citrus fruit, perhaps some apple and pear as well. A bit coarse and bitter over the middle and in the finish, it’s pretty much what I dig in strong Belgian ales. Good stuff.

CelticBrew (912) - The Crystal Coast, North Carolina, USA - MAR 18, 2007
Pours a murky mahagony, forming a large foamy head. Aroma of Lovely malts, figs, raisins. Flavor is of full bodied malted brown sugars complimented with figs, nutty banana bread and fruits. Very smooth strong ale, hardly a hint of alcohol. Nice beer from our friends in Belgium!