La Trappe Quadrupel Quercus Eikenvat gelagerd Batch #2

overall
Formerly brewed at La Trappe Trappist - Abdij O.L.V. Koningshoeven (Bavaria)
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Berkel-Enschot, Netherlands

RATINGS: 21   MEAN: 4.11/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.8/5   EST. CALORIES: 360   ABV: 12%
Mix of oak-lagered beer (including white wine barrels)and non-oak lagered Quadrupel.

fkoolen (1358) - Maastricht, NETHERLANDS - JUL 19, 2014
Batch 6, from tap @ Kulminator, Antwerp. Amber-red, off-white nicely lacing head. Big white wine in the nose and taste, accompanied by soft, sweet, vanilla cask tones. Some dried fruitiness (besides the grapes), clove and caramel. Perfectly balanced, nuanced flavours wherein the original beer beautifully carries the cask and aging. Aftertaste fully resembles a good white wine: dry, fruity, slightly acidic.

Gerardgathier (597) - - FEB 23, 2014
on tap at the kulminator.
aroma is fruity peach grape sweet and oak
taste is similar.

thebeertourist (5188) - Oslo, NORWAY - SEP 19, 2013
Tap at Kulminator. Brown-copper, creamy head. Pears aroma and flavours, in the mouth also dry mature yellow apples. Interesting.

KyotoLefty (10721) - Kyoto, JAPAN - SEP 14, 2013
Tap at Kulminator. Oaky, estery nose, chocolate, caramel, raisins, banana, coconut. Dark brown, super cloudy, with lace. Huge coconut falvor, vanilla, toffee, treacle. Very rich and aromatic, and sweet. Perfectly smooth, with low carbonation. Much better than the batch 13 I had last night in the bottle.

vipinvelp (4554) - Velp, NETHERLANDS - SEP 4, 2013
Opaque light brown color with off white foam head. Aroma is sweet, mixture of candy, wine and bitter hops. Taste is hard to calssify, sweet, somewhat bitter caramel, some wine. Different beer on tap at Kulminator. (Antwerp 201309)

Martinus (4718) - Baarle-Nassau, NETHERLANDS - JUL 16, 2013
Clear dark reddish brown colour, firm cream head. Sweet malty aroma, raisins, banana, white wine and grapes. Quite fruity. Sweet malty flavour, vanilla, dark fruits. Light astringent. Finish wood, vanilla, raisins and dates. Nice!

Not sure wether this is the right place for me to put this beer, could also be batch #1. They said it was batch 7 when I asked, but judging from previous ratings they called this batch 7 way before the Quadrupel Oak Aged Batch #7 came out - and besides, this one for sure isn’t peated. I do get white wine, which is in the description of this beer.

As far as I understood, these Quercus casks are the first experiment of La Trappe with oak aging, sort of a precursor to the Oak Aged series, and Dirk bought all of them. Or so the story goes. Which batch is which is impossible to tell as far as I can see, and I got different advice on where to rate this.

(Draught @ Kulminator, RBESG 2013 Antwerp pub crawl)

Bullit (4719) - Buffalo, New York, USA - JUL 8, 2013
Tap @ Kulminator, RBESG. Ruby red - purple-ish colour, off-white head. Nose is malty, sweet, slightly fruity, candy sugar. Flavour is malty, candy sugar, furity, slightly spicy. Well balanced, lots of things going on. Very drinkable.

caesar (7332) - Bunnik/Utrecht, NETHERLANDS - JUN 29, 2013
Tap @ Kulminator. Although I usually think Benzai just talks a load of #%(&, he might have a point this time about the confusingly named Quercus. Anyway, the beer itself is a lovely mix of white wine with the typical Quadrupel and as it’s from tap, the carbonation makes it very soft.

Benzai (16758) - Oirschot, THE NETHERLANDS, NETHERLANDS - JUN 28, 2013
From tap @ Kulminator, Antwerp. Normally I would write a decent review of what I taste but in this case I’m just typing away nonsense. I highly doubt whether the separate entry for this beer is correct. It’s weird enough that this is the only place where they have Oak Aged Quadruples on tap, but it’s even weirder that this is the only place where you can get the two batches of Quercus oak aged. Looking at the list they call all oak aged batches "Quercus", so I’m guessing it’s never been a unique batch but it’s just another name for the same beer. But which one? Well I’m guessing it’s just batch #1 and #2 that at some point were wrongfully added because of the, understandably confusing, different name. So what’s the right thing to do here? In my opinion the two Quercus beers in the database should be aliased. Better even, they should become unrateable since Kulminator is the only pub calling these beers Quercus, but nobody seems to know which batch is which and there’s really no way to determine yourself. The table I sat down at said it was Batch #7 (which is not even remotely true since that was the peated version) while at the bar it said it was batch #2. So in my opinion: make them unrateable. Even at La Trappe (De Koningshoeven) they don’t know these batches, so I guess that says enough.

n0mel (251) - FINLAND - DEC 17, 2012
UPDATED: JUL 2, 2013 (From notes 17.11.12) Tap. I had this before, but another version. I was told this one was aged on white wine barrels, and that it had no batch number. Perhaps I misunderstood (quite likely). Either way, just as fantastic as the last time I had it (maybe that was batch 1?).