overall
RATINGS: 1739   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.65/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 295   ABV: 9.84%
An aborted batch of their Old Gnarleywine ended up tasting nearly as good as that they were hoping for, so they bottled it. God bless capitalism. OG 1.100 IBU 51.1

Homer321 (5170) - Melboring, Florida, USA - FEB 26, 2017
Draft at Charleston location. Nose is huge sweet caramel malt. Light pepper. Fairly clear deep orange with a large off white head. Taste is malty sweet with a pleasant residual sugar. Medium bitterness to balance. Soft alcohol. Really nice.

thejackpacker (580) - East Sussex, ENGLAND - FEB 23, 2017
Sample at Jane Doe’s Östersund. Like drinking yummy molasses and brown sugar but not overpoweringly sweet. Would like to try more.

DraftDoctor37 (12) - - FEB 19, 2017
I didn’t like this at all. Weird funky tastes, hot too. I can safely say I won’t be trying again.

Chalumeaux (1660) - Middleton, Massachusetts, USA - FEB 17, 2017
UPDATED: FEB 18, 2017 Pours out a nice copper caramel color with a thick slightly off white head. Hop, pine, grapefruit, and brown sugar aroma, kind of a thick smell. Smooth malt taste, lot of dark sugar, nicely balanced. OK, maybe a touch too much sugar, but I like it. Hoppy up front, malty in the middle, and then ends slightly sweet with a hop bitterness on the back of the tongue. Now that I am at the end of the glass, sneaky alcohol. You have been warned.

Sirmixsomewhat (266) - Paoli, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 5, 2017
I got almost nothing out of this beer when I drank it aside from a very hoppy flavor. It’s pretty to look at, but in taste, I can’t get anything other than hops. Bitter, strong, and not very smooth, I think this beer is mediocre at best.

oobawa (1659) - Tennessee, USA - FEB 5, 2017
Oddball brew, offering up mountains of burnt sugar sweetness yet hanging onto a noticeable hop herbaceousness. Looks gorgoeus, and the nose is straight Barleywine, but the taste becomes something unique, sweet yet with a toasted, boozy middle and an ever-present hoppiness. Finishes bitter and bold. Nice.

zubblwump (118) - Michigan, USA - JAN 31, 2017
Dark clear amber, not much in the way of head. Not much aroma either. Tastes really sweet wrapped around a bitter center. The sensation is a little weird, but it’s not bad.

Ronritter (874) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - JAN 29, 2017
on tap amber pour with beige head aroma is bright pine and grapefruit and malts. Taste is grapefruits, brown sugar.

harrlyonsy (12) - Alberta, CANADA - JAN 26, 2017
Poured from a bottle, nutty brown color. Aroma is very sweet for a brown ale, taste is over powering to my taste. I can see why its liked but not for me.

SinH4 (6124) - Garching b. M?nchen, GERMANY - JAN 19, 2017
Tap. Amber color with tan ring. Aroma is fresh piney and grapefruity hops, as well as some caramel and sugary crystal malts. Taste is grapefruits, brown sugar. Oily mouthfeel. Very hoppy strong ale, Lagunitas-style.