overall
RATINGS: 1771   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.65/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 295   ABV: 9.84%
An aborted batch of their Old Gnarleywine ended up tasting nearly as good as that they were hoping for, so they bottled it. God bless capitalism. OG 1.100 IBU 51.1

mikeben's rating

1.4
mikeben (355) - Naperville, Illinois, USA - JUN 15, 2010
I liked the smell of it because it smelled like brown suger of course. Anyhow I was expecting something like a mild sweet stout (it does not say barley wine on the bottle). What I got was total hops hops nothing but hops. It was so bitter I couldn’t believe it. I was ready to pour it out but my girlfriend said I should give it one more sip. I did and it was just as bad. In fact it kinda of wrecked the Allagash white that I drank next as I couldn’t get the bitter taste out of my mouth. I’m obviously not a fan of bitter beer!

kingaugusta (270) - Georgia, USA - MAY 17, 2017
Pours clear light amber with an off white head.Nose is very typical of an american barley wine, with floral hops, a big sweet malt, and booze fighting for dominance. The malts win that battle on the palate with a lot of ripe fruits and breads on the flavor menu, though there’s still.plenty of hop bitterness to balance it out. Alcohol is heavily present but does not detract.Nice mistake, lagunitas.

BeerRenter76 (1004) - Texas, USA - MAY 9, 2017
Originally rated on 1/2/2009. Brown shugga poured burnt copper body, not much carbonation or head to speak of. Aroma of hops with citrus and some floral notes. Flavors of carmel malts,nuts, brown sugar and a slightly bitter finish. Overall a pretty good beer.

Cajun (532) - Lafayette, Louisiana, USA - APR 5, 2017
Bottle - Pours deep amber, white soapy head. Sweet, fruity, floral, bitter, dry, warming alcohol, spices. Seems different (than traditional barley wine). Still good.

Kleg (225) - The Beach, Florida, USA - MAR 30, 2017
Hazy rust colored pour with a beige head and great retention. Great lacing. Not what I was expecting. Yes there is some sweetness of burnt sugar and dark molasses, but overall way too hoppy. The 9.84 ABV is fairly well hidden.

Gorgosh (494) - SWEDEN - MAR 28, 2017
De tyska renhetslagarna och Lagunitas brott mot desamma spås härmed bli föremål för nästa världskrig. Att "misshandla" en bryggning med farinsocker på det här sättet är förstås helt otänkbart bland lagerälskande germaner. För alla andra är det här tilltaget helt ok. Det vilar en tung humlearom över allt och smaken är något endimensionell med, inte helt oväntat, väldigt söta toner av bland annat russin och kraftig karamellmalt. Kul tilltag som inte behöver upprepas.

jcnielsen (3403) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - MAR 6, 2017
Bottle. Pours an amber color worth off white head. Very sweet, raisin, sweet caramel candy, currant aromas. Sweet, sugary, boozy, molasses flavors. Interesting beer. A sweet, boozy barley wine

Homer321 (5003) - Melboring, Florida, USA - FEB 26, 2017
Draft at Charleston location. Nose is huge sweet caramel malt. Light pepper. Fairly clear deep orange with a large off white head. Taste is malty sweet with a pleasant residual sugar. Medium bitterness to balance. Soft alcohol. Really nice.

thejackpacker (417) - East Sussex, ENGLAND - FEB 23, 2017
Sample at Jane Doe’s Östersund. Like drinking yummy molasses and brown sugar but not overpoweringly sweet. Would like to try more.

DraftDoctor37 (12) - - FEB 19, 2017
I didn’t like this at all. Weird funky tastes, hot too. I can safely say I won’t be trying again.

Chalumeaux (1533) - Middleton, Massachusetts, USA - FEB 17, 2017
UPDATED: FEB 18, 2017 Pours out a nice copper caramel color with a thick slightly off white head. Hop, pine, grapefruit, and brown sugar aroma, kind of a thick smell. Smooth malt taste, lot of dark sugar, nicely balanced. OK, maybe a touch too much sugar, but I like it. Hoppy up front, malty in the middle, and then ends slightly sweet with a hop bitterness on the back of the tongue. Now that I am at the end of the glass, sneaky alcohol. You have been warned.