RATINGS: 1635   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9/5   IBU: 63   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
AKA Holiday Ale
AKA Holiday Leftover Ale
AKA Brown Sugar Substitute

This sad holiday season we didnt have the brewing capacity to make our favorite seasonal brew, the widely feared BrownShugga Ale. You see we had a couple of really good years (thank you very much) and so heading into this season while we are awaiting the January delivery of a new brewhouse we are jammin along brewing 80 barrels of IPA and PILS and such every 3 hours. A couple of months back we realized that since we can only brew a mere 60 barrels of Shugga every 5 hours, that we were seriously screwed. For every case of Shugga brewed, wed short 3 cases of our favorite daily beers. Its a drag. This year, we brewed something that we think is also cool and brews more like our daily brews. The new brewhouse will help insure this kind of failure never happens again. Its a mess that we can not brew our BrownShugga this year and we suck for not doing it. There is nothing cool about screwing this up this badly and we know it. Maybe we can sue our own sorry selves. There is no joy in our hearts this holiday and the best we can hope for is a quick and merciful end. F*@& us. This totally blows. Whatever. We freaking munch moldy donkey butt and we just want it to be all over...
So this substitute beer is a Cereal Medley of Barley, Rye, Wheat, and Oats. Full of complexishness from the 4 grains, and weighing in at 8% abv, Then joyously dry-hopped for that big aroma and resinous hop flavor.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
lambicboy12 (43) - salt lake, Utah, USA - APR 3, 2014
1- Piney aroma with some bitter orange notes. A hint of caramel. 2- Dark straw to light orange with a lacey egg white head. Brilliant clarity. 3- A medium bop bitterness followed by a big hop flavor. Pine tree chewiness. A light caramel sweetness lingers in the background. 4- Medium-full bodied with a medium-high carbonation level. A sticky mouthfeel from the high amount of hops. Finishes slightly astringent. 5- Overall I prefer the other Lagunitas beers over this one. I realize that this was a last minute beer created and for that I give it an A for effort.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
KillerMoran (25) - - APR 3, 2014
Very "simple"taste. And I say simple in the best if ways. Good to sip on and let time pass by. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Patrickctenchi (6473) - Coxs Knob, columbus, Indiana, USA - APR 3, 2014
Bottle: Pours nearly clear, light amber with a creamy off-white head. Grapefruit peel, orange nectar aroma. Strong peel bitter and sweet tangerine flavor. Outstanding.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MrBrightside53 (29) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - MAR 30, 2014
Pours a hazy amber color. Citrusy, floral grass notes with a sticky resinous finish. Definitely better than the last batch of Lagunitas Sucks. Very impressed.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
coachd (747) - Missouri, USA - MAR 29, 2014
I know Ive had this at a bar; this time Im reviewing it at home. The aroma is hoppy (I was expecting that from Lagunitas), grassy with a ton of grapefruit and pine. Looks like most mainstream beers, only a little darker and with a longer lasting stickier head. Nothing extraordinary about the aroma or appearance. Tastes slightly sweet, pale malt first, then the trademark bitter hops that I knew were coming. The bitter taste is very short, then the sweetness comes back to combine with the hops. Very distinct and balanced taste. Palate is fairly oily, and the carbonation is just right. I would drink this again; its not too hard to find and reasonably priced. Plus, you can get a six-pack, you dont have to buy bombers. If youve never had it, you should drink it. Not 100, but pretty good.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Alextricity (509) - Michigan, USA - MAR 25, 2014
Bottled January 4th. Poured January 29th into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint. Appearance: A sunset orange sort of color. Very slight haze. Fantastic white, foamy head floating on top leaving tons of lacing. One hell of a sexy looking brew. Smell: $#@&, thats GOOD. Trademark Lagunitas tea-like aroma (well, I think it smells like tea... reminds me of it...), with a wallop of grapefruit and maybe some pineapple as well. Really tropical. A nice, sweet, bright-as-all-hell, fresh picked hops. It smells phenomenal, to say the least. Nearly perfect. Taste/feel: Again with that trademark reminds-me-of-tea Lagunitas flavor. That with the unbelievable blend of all the tropical fruit flavors you can think of (...not durian. Thats tropical, right?), a hint of grass, resinous hops, and the absolute slightest alcohol warmth... this is... really almost unreal. I was worried that Sucks would be a bit too sweet, and it starts off that way, but then theres a perfect amount of bitterness on the back of the tongue on the finish that is unbelievable. The mouthfeel is medium in texture and carbonation. The carbonation really helps to "pop" the taste buds, and it works extremely well in this brew. Well, ladies and gentlemen, here we have probably the best beer Ive ever tasted. It pours beautifully, the smell is glorious, and the taste is a religious experience. Ive tried to think of reasons not to give this beer my first perfect rating in taste and overall rating, but I cant think of one -- this is a double IPA that every single person needs to try. The sweet, tropical, tea flavors on the front, the incredible amount of bittering hops on the finish... Sucks is every bit as good as what the majority says it is. Im kicking myself for only getting a single bottle. Lagunitas must make this year-round. Im a Michigan boy, so it pains me to say this, but... this is a better brew than Bells Hopslam. I only had Hopslam this year once (on-tap), and it was GOOD, but it was harsher than I remember it being. I know this is 2% lower than Hopslam, but I really couldnt give a shit. This is THEE Imperial IPA.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
1pintatatime (154) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 24, 2014
Pours a rich yellow with a fairly thick white head. Highly carbonated. Aroma is heavy with grapefruit, pine, and citrus. Flavor is all sorts of bitter with grapefruit dominant. It never really sweetens up. Its good but it would be hard to drink more than one per sitting.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
bigtaster (955) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - MAR 24, 2014
From the bottle, white head, clear yellow body. Nose is citrus and mango. Body is light, slightly dry on the finish. Mostly citrus and grass flavors. Nice beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
gerbewa (253) - - MAR 22, 2014
Has on draft at mellow mushroom. Kids were with me. Great hop aroma stout double ipa with bitter balance.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 9/20
reclined99 (5) - - MAR 21, 2014 does not count
Great pale ale packed with flavor. A hint of citrus on the pallet. This beer has a tan appearance, with little head.