overall
RATINGS: 1581   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.74/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 74   EST. CALORIES: 292   ABV: 9.75%
We brewed this especially bitter ale in dedication to all the world’s would-be astronauts, in remembrance of the 2005 St. Patrick’s Day Massacre on the Brewery Party Grounds and also in joyous celebration of our 20-day suspension that following January. Do the crime. Do the time. Get the bragging rights. Cheers!

mikedevilsfan (226) - Portland, Oregon, USA - AUG 13, 2013
Hop bomb explosion- old ale or not! Caramel malt backed up by hops approaching a barley wine. Very good.

skiatd1 (48) - New Hampshire, USA - MAY 8, 2016
Aroma- bitter dark ale/ strong ale Appearance- clear red/brown Taste- bitter malty delicious. Complex bitter but balanced ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

doppelmeup (51) - Wake Forest, North Carolina, USA - APR 30, 2008
This is a spectacular looking beer! Pours a beautiful deep topaz color into a pint glass with a huge, pillowy head that lasts forever. Lacing all the way down the glass. One of the best looking beers I’ve ever seen! Aromas of fresh hops. Not overpowering, but very fresh smelling. Slightly fruity and flowery. Taste is very nice. Definitely bitter and hoppy, but not to the point of being overdone. A sweetness as well, but just enough to compliment the hops. I’m not sure I completely agree with the style for this beer. When I think of double IPAs, I think of over-the-top hoppiness and a very malty backbone. This beer seems more of a strong ale. But don’t get me wrong; I really like this and think it is very good!! Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. Some bitterness remains on the palate after enjoying a mouthful. I have to say that as I write this review and drink this beer, the head is still amazing!!! Overall, this beer is exceedingly drinkable, but I know the ABV will catch up to me. Even so, I have to give it a high drinkabiltiy score, because it goes down so easily! Highly recommended. If you see it, pick it up and take it home.

thetmaxx (917) - West Sacramento, California, USA - MAY 31, 2011
Poured from the bottle colour is a burnt amber. Really clear with a thin light tan head no lacing on the glass. Aroma is very reminiscent of other Lagunitas beers. Dried fruit, hops, some alcohol noted as well. Flavour is a really nice balance of bitter and malty sweet. Overall another homerun by Lagunitas! Got to love these guys attitude, and beer! I would love to find out what creates their signature flavour, is it the yeast, or the malt? I don’t know.

SPDickerman (1239) - Texas, USA - OCT 21, 2011
Pours deep amber mahogany with small fizz. Smells rich and malted with a lot of hop bitterness working hand-in-hand. Tastes really malted and a bit sweet at first and then moves intense bitterness. Full-bodied with a slick texture and active mouth-carbonation, Lagunitas Undercover Investigation Shut-Down Ale finishes with some intense bitterness.

Billyonaire (1) - Carrollton, Texas, USA - APR 19, 2013 does not count
Color- Dark Copper, Aroma- Piney, Citruisy Taste-Roasted Malt, Citruisy, Body- Medium to Full, Finish- Roasted Malt, Slightly Resinous, Grapefruit Overall: It is a wonderfully balanced beer, don’t shut it down!

Jjg226 (71) - Staten Island, New York, USA - APR 21, 2013
Dark amber with thick white head. Aromas of grapefruit, pine, and toffee. Nice balance between bitterness from hops and sweetness from malt. Thick, chewy mouthfeel. Perfect brew to ween oneself from heavy, cold weather imperial stouts. Another great beer from Lagunitas! ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

mojo6t6 (1) - USA - MAY 21, 2013 does not count
Undercover is everything Lagunitas is. Pine, caramel, bitter, robust and thick with citrus undertones. My #1 above a distant Shugga.

Lupulucid (189) - - JUN 6, 2013
This is awesome. Malt character is glory slightly outshining hops. There is a good bit of resin in the direction of juniper adding significant complexity.

Simplycdog (18) - - JUL 5, 2013
Very similar to brown shugga. Glad they come out at opposite times of the year because I buy a case of each. Sweet, hoppy, just absolute delish. Stong too which I love. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone