overall
RATINGS: 1127   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.67/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 64   EST. CALORIES: 235   ABV: 7.83%
WTF Ale. A malty, robust, jobless Recovery Ale! We’re not quite in the Red, or in the Black... Does that mean we’re in the Brown?

A big Ol’ Imperial Brown Ale to help you with your slipperly slide on into springtime. Rich, smooth, dangerous & chocolatey.

Alc. 7.83%
O.G. 1.072
64.20 I.B.U

TeamTrappist (832) - jericho, New York, USA - APR 13, 2010
Tap at Hop Devil. Poured a dark copper with a fluffy off white head. Nose was big piny and grapefruit hops but the malt is noticeable too. Almost started like a black ipa but no, it’s different. Big grapefruit ip front. Then it gets a bit jarbled, or was that just me? Lots of malt back up the hops and it ends very bitter. But the nose is prominent and hits you with hops on every sip even if it’s balanced out in the taste. Some warming. Nice but a tad harsh.

MeadMe (1662) - Fishhawk, Florida, USA - APR 13, 2010
On tap at hopcat and mellow mushroom. I love lauganitas. Awesome beer insane prices. A: pours a dark shade of amber with dark brown highlights. Tall offwhite head with insane sheets of lace. S: rather mild aromas hints of caramel malts and citrus hops. Too mild. T: mmm tasty. Lots and lots of citrus hops. Enough caramel malt to push through. Hints of sweet pine...and spicy rye? M; medium in body nice and smooth. D: tasty and damn drinkable.

nick76 (4399) - Tampa, Florida, USA - APR 13, 2010
UPDATED: APR 16, 2010 The aroma is not as strong as I was expecting but it does have hops and a bit of caramel malt to go along with a bit of earth. The appearance is deep amber with a nice head. The taste is like the aroma with an astringent pineapple-citrus finish. The palate is smooth. Overall not bad but a bit of a disappointment. I’m thinking WTF!

Palidor19 (3188) - Brandon, Florida, USA - APR 13, 2010
not much too on the overall presence. astrigent hop bitterness with a low malt taste. nothing good

Nena (963) - Seattle, Washington, USA - APR 12, 2010
Dark copper pour with a big, chunky, persistent off white head. Left bits of lacing. Beautiful in a glass. Brown sugar aroma with citrus hops, smells very characteristic of Lagunitas. Doesn’t taste overly cloying despite the heavy, malty, toasty, brown sugar sweetness of this, and has a big juicy grapefruit flavor to it. Moderate body to it. Slight earthy, grassy notes appear near the middle. This doesn’t have an alcohol burn to it. This is a very well priced, highly drinkable beer.

redave (166) - squaw valley, California, USA - APR 12, 2010
Another great beer from lagunitas! I wasn’t really sure what i was going to have wen i opened it up, but I’d call it a India Brown ale. Brown ale appearance. Pretty much IPA aroma. not real strong YUM, nice ipa crunch. some malt a little "thicker" than an ipa (?) I"m not sure I’ve ever been unhappy with a Lagunitas presentation. This follows, glad it’s usually available in our bevmo. I’d get this again, as it’s relatively reasonable for a bomber.

Rustyham (1836) - St. Petersburg, Florida, USA - APR 12, 2010
dark prune juice color, bitter hoppy nose, flavor of roasted malt with slight dark fruits. Little too hot. Bottle from Lucky Liquors, Miami.

User29624 (1683) - - APR 11, 2010
I like the name. Pours dark brown with a tan head. Aroma of malt, but also some citrus hops. More hops than I was expecting, but well balanced with some slight bitterness. Solid beer.

Suttree (6392) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - APR 11, 2010
In military lingo, the proper to say WTF would be Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, but I’m guessing most states would balk at the use of the word Whiskey on a beer label. Oddly, the band Wilco released an album called Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, so I suppose that was a natural substitution. At any rate, this was a tasty brew, not as hoppy as I expect from Lagunitas, but hoppy for a brown ale. Pretty tasty.

lithy (2996) - Capital of Appalachia, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 11, 2010
decaturstevo’s stevofest part 2. Sample from a bottle thanks to decaturstevo. Dark brown, orange, white cover. Aroma is toast, caramel, sweet. Taste is toasty, grassy hops, caramel.