RATINGS: 1   MEAN: 3.3/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.83/5   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Cleetus Friedman and I drove out to Hop Head Farmsa few weeks ago and picked a crazy amount of fresh cascade and centennial hops to make a collaboration harvest ale. This beer is now conditioning and its flavors have fully rounded into a smooth and sessionable ale with a punch of citrus hop flavor. This is perhaps the most local of our beers to date. All of the malt is from Wisconsin, the Hops are from Michigan, the yeast is from Omega Yeast Labs (located in our building), and of course lake Michigan Water. We are having a really hard time not drinking this beer too much before the release on the 12th so we know you will enjoy it. Come out and have a few with us Fountainhead Chicago.

Most RecentTicked By

TheAlum (7164) - Aurora, Illinois, USA - OCT 20, 2013
Draft on tap at The Fountainhead (Chicago, IL). Return of Cleetus Event. Pours a nice darker amber orange hue, a bit dulled with some brownish influence, subtle into the middle. Gentle orange glow on the edges, a more well hazed body. Frothy whitish head atop dies down to a loose film, laces ok. Aromas show a decent floral kick, some grapefruit juice and rind, touches of bready malt, decent grass and floral kick, subtle lemon. Some more underlying citrus juice, not potent but it’s there and it’s not held down by any malt body. Initial is lighter end of medium bodied, some gentle bready and biscuity malt, short of toastiness, hits grapefruit juice, florals, and some nice citrusy elements. Lemon, some grapefruit, grass and florals. Bitterness is decent, but more hop flavor, oils come into the fold. Middle is a bit soapy, subtle gumball, and then it’s all grapefruit juice and oils. Fresh, a bit vibrant with some nice dry and bitter qualities, decent juiciness. Backend is a bit bready, biscuity, some caramel sweetness hits as we head home. Still a nice dryness, some florals, and gentle toffee element. The fresh hop flavors start to fade as we round the corner, the bitterness is subtle and more gentle as we round the corner, hard to keep up with the malt base. I guess that’s just my take on Fresh Hop beers. While the hop flavors can be lovely, if you don’t bitter hop it (likely to let those flavors shine), it loses me. Finish is a decent bitterness, gentle rind, some sweeter and caramel malt presence hangs on and lingers. It offers some better bitterness to finish than I though it would. Front end offers some nice life, nose is solid, backend and finish aren’t necessarily my thing. Ok. It’s better than some of the Fresh Hop beers I’ve had this year and has a really nice front and middle.