overall
RATINGS: 441   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.43/5   IBU: 38   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Our flagship beer, this English Strong Ale is available throughout the Adirondacks and greater Northeast. Deep garnet red in color, Ubu weighs in at 7% alcohol by volume (ABV) but is known for its fantastic taste. It features dark fruit and roasted malt flavors, with a slightly bitter finish. 43 SRM.

sodakotakid (230) - Belle Fourche, South Dakota, USA - JUL 12, 2013
POURS A MEDIUM brown with an average tan head. This beer starts sweet but a un tasty bitterness quickly follows. The malt is strong and there is some sour dark fruits with bit of earthiness and roasted flavors.

annunz123 (957) - Taunton, Massachusetts, USA - JUN 6, 2013
Malty, earthy, nutty aroma. Flavor is nutty with apple, spice, and some wood. Some spice and drying alcohol in the finish. Very good.

raphael (1254) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAY 28, 2013
Had no idea what kind of beer this was. So surprised by the ruddy brown with modest off white head. Caramel, toasted malt, & oak aromas. Had a good bite, with caramel & alcohol.. A little flat. balanced finish.

daniele (9063) - ITALY - MAY 14, 2013
Quasi mogano buona schiuma un po grossolana buona persistenza leggero fruttato caramello nocciola buone note maltate leggere tostature amaro medio

rauchbierlover (648) - Berlin, Berlin, GERMANY - MAY 12, 2013
Depp brown body with a minimal beige head. Hoppy and floreal aroma. Taste is malty, with roasted notes, some coffee and nuts, then comes the bitter (but not in an aggressive way). A well balanced beer. A nice surprise!

justabeergeek (225) - Albany, New York, USA - MAY 2, 2013
Opening Thoughts: To be honest, it has been a long time since I’ve had a beer from Lake Placid Pub & Brewery. But, because they won “Best Craft Beer in the Hudson Valley” (ignoring the fact that I don’t consider Lake Placid to be in the Hudson Valley region, that is; yes, it is in fact near the beginning of the Hudson, but it isn’t really part of the region per say), I decided to give their flagship beer, Ubu Ale, another shot.

Ubu Ale is an English Strong Ale and is produced (in bottled form) by the Matt Brewery in Utica, NY. I honestly don’t have fond memories of the last time I had this particular beer, but it has been a few years, so I’m willing to give it another chance.

Appearance: The pour is a deep brown with a touch of red. There is a nice, fairly thick, soapy head that is a khaki/tan color. Just a tiny bit of carbonation is coming up from the bottom of the glass.

Aroma: The aroma is malt-forward, as I would expect from a beer of this type, slightly bready with a faint touch of chocolate coming in at points.

Taste: At first sip, the malts come out initially with a fairly typical chocolate and toffee presence. This gives away quickly, as the taste changes that of some dark fruit with a touch of smoke. There is a bit of nuttiness to the malt presence, but not enough to highlight itself. A noticeable twang is present throughout, which detracts from the rest of the experience; I’m not sure if it’s an intentional sour note or some sort of weird off-flavor, but it doesn’t work well with the rest of the character.

Mouthfeel: Ubu is light-to-medium in the mouthfeel, but it is noticeably oily (and not in a good way). Low carbonation that I suppose works with the style, but it seems even lower than the gentle carbonation that I’d want in a good English strong. There is something off about the texture of this beer.

Overall: I’ve confirmed my old feelings about Ubu. I don’t really like it, but that isn’t to say that it is an objectively “bad” beer. I hope this isn’t the beer that won them the TAP award (I haven’t really had any of their beers in a long time, so I can’t comment on the quality of their products overall). It’s a one-off for me; it’s so close to being an acceptable beer of the style, that I think I’m as much frustrated as I am put off. Oh well.

Score: 4/10 (Below Average)

VipertheIV (12) - Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 9, 2013
Minimal head that faded quickly. Poured from bottle. Roasted and peaty nose with a slight sweetness. Medium body nose translates straight to the taste

Steverus0 (263) - Shreveport, Louisiana, USA - MAR 7, 2013
A nice and delicious, malty English ale. Incredibly smooth, the hoppy character, which is slight, balances with dark, almost coffee notes ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

dagimp (1008) - Philly, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 3, 2013
12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours a very pretty dark amber almost purple. Smokey aroma. Mouthfeel is moderate but clean. Taste is smokey with lots of dark fruit. Lots of moss and peat. A verygood beer. Not sure if allot British. More like Belgian. Either way, very good. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

sneezey (135) - Hackettstown, New Jersey, USA - FEB 27, 2013
The smell instantly shows the alcohol and doesn’t give the impression of the malt and certainly not the bitterness underneath. It’s a good overall effect, but the aroma definitely isn’t a strong point. A bit unbalanced but the hopping saves the day.