overall
RATINGS: 429   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.43/5   IBU: 38   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Our flagship beer, this English Strong Ale is available throughout the Adirondacks and greater Northeast. Deep garnet red in color, Ubu weighs in at 7% alcohol by volume (ABV) but is known for its fantastic taste. It features dark fruit and roasted malt flavors, with a slightly bitter finish. 43 SRM.

popephred (268) - Plainfield, Illinois, USA - APR 5, 2008
Beer of the Month Club: Poured from the bottle into a pint glass. Pour produced a russet-brown body, topped with a light tan head which mostly diminished. Sweet to the taste, but not cloying, with a quick bitter bite with minimal aftertaste. Aroma was a mild hops, not as malty as I though it should be, though not unpleasant. This is a very satisfying ale with a warm body and full taste. I will look for this beer again, and thank my Beer of the Month club for the sample.

hypn0toad (267) - Maryland, USA - JUL 5, 2011
Pretty tasty. Red as promised. Pretty strong taste. Ill drink it again. Smokey aftertaste when you take a swig.

swirl (267) - collingswood, New Jersey, USA - MAR 27, 2005
A new beer to the S. Jersey market. Pours a deep red color with not much of a head. The hops mix nicely with the malt to give it an alluring aroma. The strong hop presence gives this beer a strong taste.

Speedle (266) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - AUG 11, 2011
got this one from a co-worker that hands off his beer of the month shipments .... bottle ... pours dark with medium head ... malt aroma .... smooth start with a charred finish ... like a porter with a little bbq

sinkhole (263) - Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 21, 2011
Draught from Dinosaur BBQ (Syracuse NY). Pours a dark brown color with minimal head. Aromas of caramel, malt and yeast. Taste of mild hops with a nutty aftertaste. A solid brew.

Steverus0 (263) - Shreveport, Louisiana, USA - MAR 7, 2013
A nice and delicious, malty English ale. Incredibly smooth, the hoppy character, which is slight, balances with dark, almost coffee notes ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

micronaut129 (241) - chalfontborotowntonbergville, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 10, 2012
Pours brownish with ruby hig lights. It has a tall dense head leaving fine sticky lacing. Well carbonated too. Aroma is strong of rich malts and some molasses. There is also a toffee sweetness too. Taste is of complex malts with good character. Some roasted malts come through as well as wood and leather and a finish similar to licorise. This beer has a medium feel with a bitter and slight alcohol warming. I was pleasently surprized with this beer. I was expecting something like an amber ale, but this style took me back a bit.

kenwall17 (232) - new york, New York, USA - OCT 15, 2011
Dark pour with a nice tan head. Taste of dark fruits and mild roasted malt. A nice drink overall.

sodakotakid (230) - Belle Fourche, South Dakota, USA - JUL 12, 2013
POURS A MEDIUM brown with an average tan head. This beer starts sweet but a un tasty bitterness quickly follows. The malt is strong and there is some sour dark fruits with bit of earthiness and roasted flavors.

justabeergeek (225) - Albany, New York, USA - MAY 2, 2013
Opening Thoughts: To be honest, it has been a long time since I’ve had a beer from Lake Placid Pub & Brewery. But, because they won “Best Craft Beer in the Hudson Valley” (ignoring the fact that I don’t consider Lake Placid to be in the Hudson Valley region, that is; yes, it is in fact near the beginning of the Hudson, but it isn’t really part of the region per say), I decided to give their flagship beer, Ubu Ale, another shot.

Ubu Ale is an English Strong Ale and is produced (in bottled form) by the Matt Brewery in Utica, NY. I honestly don’t have fond memories of the last time I had this particular beer, but it has been a few years, so I’m willing to give it another chance.

Appearance: The pour is a deep brown with a touch of red. There is a nice, fairly thick, soapy head that is a khaki/tan color. Just a tiny bit of carbonation is coming up from the bottom of the glass.

Aroma: The aroma is malt-forward, as I would expect from a beer of this type, slightly bready with a faint touch of chocolate coming in at points.

Taste: At first sip, the malts come out initially with a fairly typical chocolate and toffee presence. This gives away quickly, as the taste changes that of some dark fruit with a touch of smoke. There is a bit of nuttiness to the malt presence, but not enough to highlight itself. A noticeable twang is present throughout, which detracts from the rest of the experience; I’m not sure if it’s an intentional sour note or some sort of weird off-flavor, but it doesn’t work well with the rest of the character.

Mouthfeel: Ubu is light-to-medium in the mouthfeel, but it is noticeably oily (and not in a good way). Low carbonation that I suppose works with the style, but it seems even lower than the gentle carbonation that I’d want in a good English strong. There is something off about the texture of this beer.

Overall: I’ve confirmed my old feelings about Ubu. I don’t really like it, but that isn’t to say that it is an objectively “bad” beer. I hope this isn’t the beer that won them the TAP award (I haven’t really had any of their beers in a long time, so I can’t comment on the quality of their products overall). It’s a one-off for me; it’s so close to being an acceptable beer of the style, that I think I’m as much frustrated as I am put off. Oh well.

Score: 4/10 (Below Average)