%>
overall
RATINGS: 429   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.43/5   IBU: 38   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Our flagship beer, this English Strong Ale is available throughout the Adirondacks and greater Northeast. Deep garnet red in color, Ubu weighs in at 7% alcohol by volume (ABV) but is known for its fantastic taste. It features dark fruit and roasted malt flavors, with a slightly bitter finish. 43 SRM.

Hermod (8216) - Vantaa, FINLAND - OCT 1, 2015
Bottle @sbwf15. Dark brown colored beer with a thin off white head. Raisins, plums, bread, malt. Quite sweet. Flavor has chocolate notes, plums, sweetness, molasses.

TBone (18006) - Pori, FINLAND - OCT 1, 2015
Bottle at SBWF2015. Amber color, small off-white head. Caramel, perfumic hops in the nose. Medium-bodied. Clean, simple mouthfeel. Malts, light piney bitterness. Easy.

tiggmtl (4544) - East York, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 9, 2004
Sweet carmelized sugar and fruit in the aroma. Dark brown but very clear with light tan head that recedes to cover. Sherry-like and malty sweet with just a touch of bitterness to take the edge off. Medium-light body. Somewhat thin. Bottle (sampled at Mondial 2004).

JCW (1278) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - AUG 10, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 5, 2004 A beer that was reportedly sent to the White House at the then President Clinton’s request. All I can says is that is wife was a bitch and his girlfriend a slut and I think that he had better taste in women than he had for beer. Opaque and brown in color. Small off white head. Aroma of beer, malty and slightly sweet. No much of a flavor at all, only bubbles and bitterness. Dry bitter finish. Not one I’d care to repeat.

swirl (267) - collingswood, New Jersey, USA - MAR 27, 2005
A new beer to the S. Jersey market. Pours a deep red color with not much of a head. The hops mix nicely with the malt to give it an alluring aroma. The strong hop presence gives this beer a strong taste.

Nate (4279) - Indiana, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 1, 2012
From bottle. Malty raisin-plum sweet nose, pleasant but not overly complex. Biscuit, mild hop notes. Dark coppery brown clear with medium foamy-creamy off-white to light tan lacing head. Medium watery body with medium to high carbonation and carbonic fizzy burn. Starts medium sweet with plum, raisin, biscuit, and light carbonic acidity. Mild neutral fruity notes with mild bitterness in the finish. Red wine-like tang, close to some soy sauce, or ’soured’ sugar. Mild dry-tang after with a bit of sweetness and hop bitterness.

justabeergeek (225) - Albany, New York, USA - MAY 2, 2013
Opening Thoughts: To be honest, it has been a long time since I’ve had a beer from Lake Placid Pub & Brewery. But, because they won “Best Craft Beer in the Hudson Valley” (ignoring the fact that I don’t consider Lake Placid to be in the Hudson Valley region, that is; yes, it is in fact near the beginning of the Hudson, but it isn’t really part of the region per say), I decided to give their flagship beer, Ubu Ale, another shot.

Ubu Ale is an English Strong Ale and is produced (in bottled form) by the Matt Brewery in Utica, NY. I honestly don’t have fond memories of the last time I had this particular beer, but it has been a few years, so I’m willing to give it another chance.

Appearance: The pour is a deep brown with a touch of red. There is a nice, fairly thick, soapy head that is a khaki/tan color. Just a tiny bit of carbonation is coming up from the bottom of the glass.

Aroma: The aroma is malt-forward, as I would expect from a beer of this type, slightly bready with a faint touch of chocolate coming in at points.

Taste: At first sip, the malts come out initially with a fairly typical chocolate and toffee presence. This gives away quickly, as the taste changes that of some dark fruit with a touch of smoke. There is a bit of nuttiness to the malt presence, but not enough to highlight itself. A noticeable twang is present throughout, which detracts from the rest of the experience; I’m not sure if it’s an intentional sour note or some sort of weird off-flavor, but it doesn’t work well with the rest of the character.

Mouthfeel: Ubu is light-to-medium in the mouthfeel, but it is noticeably oily (and not in a good way). Low carbonation that I suppose works with the style, but it seems even lower than the gentle carbonation that I’d want in a good English strong. There is something off about the texture of this beer.

Overall: I’ve confirmed my old feelings about Ubu. I don’t really like it, but that isn’t to say that it is an objectively “bad” beer. I hope this isn’t the beer that won them the TAP award (I haven’t really had any of their beers in a long time, so I can’t comment on the quality of their products overall). It’s a one-off for me; it’s so close to being an acceptable beer of the style, that I think I’m as much frustrated as I am put off. Oh well.

Score: 4/10 (Below Average)

ellolovey (483) - Georgia, USA - OCT 6, 2014
Bottle. Pours a dark brown with red highlights and thin beige head. Aroma of roasted malts, burnt nuts, burnt chocolate, and dark fruits. Has a bit of a metallic taste. Dark fruits and burnt everything. A touch of bitterness. Basement musk. Too light bodied for a strong ale. Was hoping for more everything and less burnt everything.

Ungstrup (38243) - Citizen of the universe, DENMARK - OCT 15, 2005
An unclear amber beer with a thin beige head. The aroma is sweet malty with notes of caramel, and hints of wheat. The flavor is sweet with notes of caramel, wood, and fruit.

ben4321 (6673) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - NOV 21, 2010
Location: Sampled at the NY Brewfest on Governor’s Island, 6/19/10

Aroma: It has a malty nose, a good amount of caramel, and some bread/toast
Appearance: It pours a brown color with a foamy tan head a top it
Flavor: The taste is quite malty, medium sweet, with minimal hop balance
Palate: A touch on the watery side, with a drinkable feel, and a light-medium body
Overall Impression: My notes on this one mention that my written review was probably too harsh due to the brewfest getting a little out of control and making my mood not as good, but the description/impression of the beer is still reasonably valid, I just wanted to keep a note of what went into this review. This was a decent, malt first beer, but I didn’t love it.