overall
RATINGS: 97   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.31/5   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Our interpretation of the American red ale style. Unlike most other examples of the style, ours is a dark, robust red from the use of 5 different malts. A blend of 3 different hops from 4 additions gives our Mesabi Red a full hop character.

drywallman (367) - Lake in the Hills, Illinois, USA - AUG 26, 2008
This one was dark copper in color with a short lasting head that I sampled at the Chocolate Moose in Ely, Mn. Malty with a nutty roastiness and sweet coffe. Hops were barely noticeable. You could drink a lot of this.

ebrowner88 (123) - Rice, Minnesota, USA - APR 24, 2008
Poured gold copper color with 1 finger head. (not very red) Nose is malty and floral. Sweet malt taste then floral hops. Flowery and mildly bitter finish. Not a bad beer but not what I was expecting in a red ale.

Tripplebrew (778) - Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA - MAR 14, 2008
Pours a very hazy amber brown with very little head. The aroma is surprisingly present. Aromas are of malts and roasted nuts. Flavor is definite malts and nuts with sweet coffee and dark chocolate undertones. Surprising amount of flavor for a red.

WisconsinBeer (716) - St. Paul, Minnesota, USA - MAR 14, 2008
Hazy deep reddish brown color. Wow, this red has some bite! Nice toasty roasted malts, a bit of dark chocolate and coffee, and a dry hop backbone. Medium bodied. I really wasn’t expecting much from this beer, as most "red" beers are pretty weak, but this is a decent surprise.

junkeee (22) - Edina, Minnesota, USA - FEB 29, 2008
Bought a six pack while staying on Superior North Shore. A very good red. Strong alcohol, it has some teeth but still but goes down smooth. The dominant flavor is roasted malt, with enjoyable hopped accents. I tend to favor crisp clean lagers, but when I go for a red, this is just what I’m looking for.

GaltScat (195) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - FEB 20, 2008
Opaque dark amber-brown. Finger of light brown foam. Sweet fruity & malty aroma with just the slightest hint of roasted nuts. Light medium, somewhat chalky feel. Flavor is toasty and malty but the fruitiness does not quite come through. Finish was earthy.

Haslinger (984) - The World of Beer, Texas, USA - DEC 31, 2007
Rather unexciting beer. One of my friends works at this brewery and he gave me one. Nothing special

IlanMan (1015) - Appleton, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 29, 2007
I wasn’t as impressed by this beer as some may have been. Tasted bland for the description. Not a bad beer, don’t get me wrong, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to buy again.

Mrthirstyneck (341) - Minnesota, USA - OCT 17, 2007
great red way better then leinies. nice flavor nice color as well very drinkable too. try one today mostly good

Headbanger (4021) - Aurora, Illinois, USA - SEP 26, 2007
12oz bottle (2/02)-Pours a dark amber body with a decent off white head and an aroma of roasted malt, caramel, and some hops. Taste of all of the above with no real balnce between them but not a bad tasting amber.