overall
RATINGS: 293   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.21/5   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
This top fermenting amber-colored ale is brewed using generous amounts of malt and kettle hops. The trademark of this ale is its beautiful hop bouquet and taste that comes from a liberal dry hopping of the highest grade Cascade hops during the secondary fermentation. The malt firmness of this ale comes from the perfect mixture of two-row malted barley, carapils, and caramel specialty malts. The ale has an original gravity of 1060 and is fermented at 65 degrees farenheight which imparts the classic ale fruitiness to the brew.

aobecksy (700) - Middle of no where, Ohio, USA - NOV 17, 2002
Very malty very hoppy, nice aroma, caramelly flavor with slight after taste: your average pale ale.

jsquire (4559) - St. Marys, Ohio, USA - NOV 14, 2002
Thick creamy head and a light amber color I suppose. Noticable hops in the nose. Nice malty body with strong hop flavors. I wouldn't have classified this as an amber, but it is a very nice drinking beer.

Pjones6738 (500) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 13, 2002
Nice golden color, thick lace. Slightly yeasty smell. More malty than hoppy, but with a noticable hop bite. Slight citrus flavor as it warms. Not too bad.

hopscotch (11181) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - OCT 1, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 11, 2006 Bottle at Brickskeller... Commercial description suffices. Very good beer. If you like other amber ales that I have ranked fairly high, this one will not disappoint.

baseballguy (246) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 26, 2002
My bottle, though it looked fine before opening, was explosively foamy and contained little actual beer. I'll have to try this again sometime, given the general acclaim for the brewery.

TAR (2777) - Blue Ridge Mountains, North Carolina, USA - JUL 15, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 5, 2003 Wonderful pale ale aroma. Beautiful blend of grapefruit, apricot, and caramel. Very attractive creamy foam with nice stick power. Velvety/creamy mouthfeel. This could serve as an aperitif and/or digestif. Adequate hop character to stimulate the palate. Sweet toast/nut/caramel flavors to provide sweetness and warmth to the gullet. I consider this style among my least favorite. I can usually find nothing standoutish. But this ones steps above the rest with grace.

VENOM (941) - Connecticut, USA - MAY 14, 2002
Crystal clear amber with a fat and sticky off white head. Very light carbonation. Light toasted caramel aroma, some mixed in orange/lemon rind hop aroma. Thick body, toasty sweet with a sharp bready yeast bite. Maltier than it is hoppy, with a richness that overwhelms the trace citric hop flavor. Creamy stickiness is unwelcome. Light citric hop balance as it warms. Finishes thick and filling and ugh! If I drank more than 1 of these I'd feel like a beached whale.

michael-pollack (4959) - King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 13, 2002
..................................................

JPDIPSO (6262) - Wauwatosa, USA - MAR 8, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 30, 2006 ReRate: Bright orange/copper color with a moderate, yet quite stable ecru head. Nice balance of caramel and ruby red grapefruit. ice malt with caramel and a touch of toasted malt, again a nice balance with a mild pine wood and touch of grapefruit zest. Still a Lakefront favorite in my book. 8 March ’02 - (9,4,8,4-3.9) An APA with a pilsner hopping schedule. Nice body and flavor. I like it alot. It doen’t quite fit the style, but most of the beers I make or really like don’t.

kmeves (1098) - Mount Pleasant, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 11, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 3, 2006 This is a good beer, especially from the cask which we can get here in Milwaukee. My wife’s favorite.