overall

RATINGS: 434   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.1/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
An all-sorghum beer. New Grist, a beer for Celiacs brewed from sorghum and gluten-free yeast grown on molasses. New Grist is the first “official” gluten free beer in the U.S., although it cannot technically be called “gluten-free” until established governmental guidelines are determined for all products claiming “gluten-free” status. In the interim, this Celiac-safe beer can be called “barley-free,” and is a welcome product to those who need to live on restricted diets due to intolerance to gluten, a protein found in common brewing grains such as barley, wheat, rye, oats, spelt, kamut and triticale.

holdenn (2116) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - AUG 31, 2006
12oz bottle pours a light yellow with little head and aromas that are also almost undetectable but for a little citrus. The beer is pretty watery in the mouth flavors are a little yeasty and vegetable maybe?. It ends with a barely detectable soapy bandaid flavor, mmm that’s good in beer.

lamas (1651) - Washington DC, USA - AUG 30, 2006
Bottle. Brewed during the third week of June. Pours a clear light-gold with a thin white head. A very subtle, citrusy and doughy aroma. Oh wow! This just doesn’t taste right. Tastes like seltzer water with some salt thrown in. Some weird wild rice graininess too. Definite vegetable tastes at the end. Thin-bodied. Not exactly BMC swill-beer awful, just strangely intriguing... I don’t think I’d turn down another.

Kinz (3786) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - AUG 18, 2006
Glad there is something out there for the Celiacs. Medium gold, little head, a bit fizzy. Odd aroma, sort of like bread and lemon lime soda. Flavor is similar, with a bit of apples and wax present as well. Not horrible, but not spectacular either. In any case, kudos to Lakefront for brewing what may be the ultimate niche beer.

puzzl (3260) - New York, New York, USA - AUG 13, 2006
Actually a rather nice aroma. Very subtle, floral, perfumy and lightly fruity, much like a BDG. The pour is an ugly honey yellow with little head, although what head there is still laces a bit. In the mouth, unfortunately, it is rather vile, with a slight fruit start that succumbs to a putrid yeastiness, rice, and a long, never-ending finish that is pretty rotten but has an ever so slight touch of mint. I’d much rather a crappy aroma than crappy flavor... oh well. I still gave this a decent score because it’s good to see beers like this being made, both because celiacs (and I know one) can drink them, and because traditional styles are always neat.

hopscotch (11182) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - AUG 11, 2006
Bottle... co-rated by Duff... Clear, very light yellow ale with a small, wispy, white head. Lots of acetaldehyde I suspect. Smells and tastes watered down with lots of green apple bubblegum and spent grain. Light-bodied and fizzy. Short crisp finish. Neither of us liked this one much. Not at all good. If you’re going gluten free, go with Dragons Bard at this point.

keoki182 (305) - West Bend, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 10, 2006
Smells like a Sam Adams Boston that’s been skunked. The taste is really different. It’s certainly not a favorite of mine, but I have to say that the flavor of the sorghum and gluten-free yeast is not awful. It’s a weird sourness that I can’t pinpoint. Even the aftertaste is sour. I’m glad I’m not a Celiac because of what they have to go through on a daily basis, but I commend Lakefront for attempting to give them a better option than many gluten-free beers.

ABUSEDGOAT (2828) - California, USA - AUG 5, 2006
When I read ’made from rice extract’ on the bottle, I had to buy this. Not even Budweiser has those kind of balls. At least this one is from Milwaukee, a place known for great beers. Oh, and there’s a sun on the bottle, and sunlight is awesome for beer. Finally, the bottle says it’s crisp. How could I not buy this? My expectations were low, I expected a lackluster pale lager. I uncapped it, and first put my nose to the bottle for a preview. Nothing. It coulda been Dasani. I poured it and got an extremely pale yellow body with a dishwater head that rapidly diminished. My father laughed as he saw this. Crystal clear, no lacing. I checked the aroma again. Well, it smells like something, but I wouldn’t call it beer. I got some vague fruity notes with some cardboard. Really empty, and what is there is not good. The flavor lingers a little longer than I’d like on my tongue. Again this flat fruit flavor with something that just doesn’t belong. Interestingly, it’s more likely that something should belong that isn’t. Well, at least I didn’t have to change the numbers up above.

maniac (3800) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - AUG 2, 2006
Clear fizzy golden color with a thin white head. Faint sweet aroma. Sweet fruity flavor, almost hints of candi sugar.

Numenor (871) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - AUG 2, 2006
Golden yellow body , very carbonated with minimal head. Sweet citrus, orange and grapefruit aroma. Sweet, fruit body, not like a normal lager. Spicey ending.

BuckNaked (1230) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - JUL 28, 2006
Bottle: Pours to a clear, pale light yellow body with a thin, quickly receeding white head. The aroma is distinctly differnt from a typical pale lager, showing the same kind of sweet vegitable scent but it somehow seems more earthy to me, there’s a mild sweet candy cane-like scent that seems to become more apparent when swirled. The taste is and interesting sweet at first, kind of like a soy-milk soaked burlap bag with sugar, come you’ve all had those, followed by a light earthy bitterness, some mild toasted toffee, and hints of rice. Though at first sip it does taste very similar to a shitty pale lager, it’s actually not that bad once you get used to the off flavors. Light bodied, medium carbonated, finishes with vegitable taste. Ok when I say it’s not bad I was expecting it to be terrible, so it’s not as bad as I was expecting but it’s not something I would pick up again.