overall
RATINGS: 548   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.35/5   IBU: 16   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
The rich amber color and caramel flavor of this beer are derived from the generous amount of caramel malt in our recipe, with just a dash of roasted unmalted barley for a subtle toasted flavor in the background. The sweetness, body, and mouth feel tell you that this is an all-malt beer. The finish has a balanced edge of Willamen and Casade hoppiness which cuts through the malty character, leaving a clean palate which beckons for more. Note: the terminology of "stein" refers to the appropriate drinking vessel and not to a type of beer made with hot rocks.

RAYBOY01 (2011) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JAN 22, 2005
The brewery tour is wonderfull! The brewery bartender told me this is their best seller, and I must believe him. Beautiful to see, smell and drink, and i do whenever I’m in Milwaukee.

heemer77 (5358) - Urbandale, Iowa, USA - JAN 18, 2005
Pours with barely a trace of a head. A very dark amber color that was as expected. Nice malty aroma of tobacco and some toffee. The taste is a toasted bread with some hints of pear at the edges of my tongue. Plenty of bite from the carbonation and an ashen finish. Thanks Frank.

Frank (4208) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JAN 14, 2005
Don’t know if I’d call this a Vienna with it’s strong emphasis on hops (American hops, no less)--not that that makes it a bad beer or anything. This tastes more or less like an APA without out the fruity ale-yeast character. Amber with a fluffy off-white head. Nose is hoppy with pine, toffee and citrus. Good malt depth but fizzy. I poured my second bottle roughly to dissipate the excess carbonation and that helped immensely. Gently assertive bitterness in the finish. Definitely a quality lager. I could see myself drinking this from a great one liter stein in a beer garden some summer afternoon.

jeffc666 (1984) - Fairfax, Virginia, USA - JAN 3, 2005
Bright ruby with a small off-white head. Sweet cherry soda aroma. Sweet cherry bubblegummy flavor, not much else, certainly no caramel. Medium light body. I could live without this one.

MilkmanDan (1943) - Eagan, Minnesota, USA - JAN 3, 2005
Was hoping to like this more than I did. Very amazingly red. Smells of cherry and cream soda. Flavor is fruity and sweet, didn’t really get any caramel or much in it. Inoffensively average.

MIBRomeo (2570) - Wisconsin, USA - NOV 16, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 13, 2005 I’ve had this beer on many occassions and its one of my favorite riverwest beers, it always goes down good w/ a hint of hops and citrus in the flavor and a nice creamy feeling on the way down.

jtw (1165) - farmington, Michigan, USA - NOV 9, 2004
super malty aroma, with the ever-so-slight cascadelike tang hidden in there. damn! suprising take on the style. very hoppy for a vienna, but i think i like it. sublime malt backbone with a dry clean finish. awesome balance, hardly cloying despite all the malt. probably the best vienna i’ve had.

biermensch (64) - USA - NOV 7, 2004
My favorite Lakefront brew. Deep red color, small, brief head, with a huge malt backbone. Mild hops balance makes for a very drinkable amber, one that I slighlty prefer to Capital Amber and Elliot Ness. Delicious in bottle and tap, I will be serving Riverwest Stein draft for the holidays.

StewardofGondor (1934) - Washington Heights - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 4, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 3, 2005 Still one of my favorite Milwaukee beers, but needed a little touch-up as I get older... Amber-to-copper in color and translucent with a pillowy, fluffy white head. Aroma is sweet and spicy - pulling on toffee, caramel, roasted aspects and a dash of pepper. Taste proceeds in an amplified fashion of what we expected in aroma: smooth yet spicy and an all-encompassing flavor department. Caramel, cinnamon rolls without icing and mild butterscotch flavors jive harmoniously with the roasted nature and substantial malt support. Slightly bitter with a moderately aggressive edge to balance the lager. Dry finish. Damn good beer.

BBB63 (6557) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - OCT 28, 2004
Bottle via MrFacto: Clear amber hue with small lasting head and some lace. The aroma has notes of caramelized and biscuity malts, aromatic hops, pear, honeycomb, and earthy yeast esters. The taste starts with a nice bittersweet combination of hops and malt. Minor citric/fruity characters support the palate. A dry and chalky finish. Overall, it’s is very quaffable and enjoyable.