overall
RATINGS: 557   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.35/5   IBU: 16   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
The rich amber color and caramel flavor of this beer are derived from the generous amount of caramel malt in our recipe, with just a dash of roasted unmalted barley for a subtle toasted flavor in the background. The sweetness, body, and mouth feel tell you that this is an all-malt beer. The finish has a balanced edge of Willamen and Casade hoppiness which cuts through the malty character, leaving a clean palate which beckons for more. Note: the terminology of "stein" refers to the appropriate drinking vessel and not to a type of beer made with hot rocks.

jgb9348 (6250) - Arlington (Pentagon City), Virginia, USA - SEP 22, 2003
Slightly hazy dark amber colour with a very dense off-white creamy head. Smells of hops, a bit of sourness, malt and even a slight sweetness. Medium-bodied; Spicey character and taste with a bit of the malt showing through, but hardly any of the hops. Aftertaste fairly bland but pleasing. No really bittering characteristics on the aftertaste at all. Overall, a decent beer...I don't think this is a Vienna...but whatever. I'm very lucky to get a bottle of this...thanks go out to CaptainCougar for sending me the twelve ounce bottle! Thanks Tom :-)

booyaatribe (450) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 14, 2003
Hmm. I'm not actually all that blown away. The first adjective that comes to mind is watery. Decent flavors in there, but the whole thing comes off a bit too weak.

drismyhero (815) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - JAN 8, 2004
The malt here is particularly sharp, very tasty and grainy. The hops are also flavorful, but there is something in the combonation that completely tastes of dill. I couldn't put my finger on it for a while, all I knew was something kept reminding me of Thanksgiving dinner and I finally realized this tastes like dill pickles. Strange for sure, perhaps this isn't the freshest bottle, but despite the oddity, it's actually not bad.

jaymobrown (1845) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUL 30, 2004
Bottle. Light amber, tarnished color. Some mildly oat roasted malt flavors. Mostly a hoppy-ish beer in the end. Watery texture. It’s a lager.

SledgeJr (3577) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - APR 6, 2005
In the bottle. Pours a hearty amber with a fluffy yellow head. Sally the cat types this about the beer while walking on the keyboard: wssssssbnnnne9oooooo. Decent malty aroma. First flavor is a slightly sour surge. Follow this with a weakly hoppy taste. This is the closest beer I’ve ever had to a cheese taste. Odd. Light palate and well carbonated. Leaves a lasting bitter taste that is not particularly pleasing. If this is an all-malt beer, does that mean that this brewer usually uses adjuncts?

Goblincat (399) - Petersburg, Michigan, USA - MAY 1, 2006
Reddish amber color, thin head, and a nice hoppy nose. Watery caramel/malt taste, with a nice amount of hops.

fly (1486) - austin, Tejas, Texas, USA - DEC 5, 2006
No piddle in this puddle from the very merry middle I’m glad to report. After having some not so well maintained beers form this brewery it’s nice to find one that’s okay. It’s even exciting, almost thrilling. Nothing massive to report - carbonation runs a little high, sweet malt and firm enough body and enough hops to quench thirst and then ... it’s done and I’m not positive I’m a better person, but if you want me to be I’ll try just for you because I’m that kind of guy.

DrnkMcDermott (3099) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - DEC 23, 2006
UPDATED: JAN 11, 2011 Draft pint in West Allis, WI. Forgot I’d had this one before, but glad to get a taste of a fresh pint. I still sometimes think this may have had some "steinbier" preparation, but no. Just a nice malty dark lager with notes of Irish red.
Bottled during Feb. 06. Rated 12/23/06. This has held up a little better than other old Lakefront beers I found in their variety pack. Pours a caramelly brown, little head but lots of fizziness. Smell brings in a nice amber malt profile with some German hoppiness. Listed abv is a tad higher than their other bottles, and may have helped keep it a little longer. This does have a nice sticky amber malt taste with a good bitter balance. It is starting to turn a bit papery, and the soda pop style carbonation doesn’t suit the taste at all. But I’ll just paste this in my album for now and hope to run across a fresher beer later.

irishsnake (355)
- Oakland, California, USA - JAN 15, 2007
pours a thickly chill-hazed orange-tinted red, with a fairly thin off-white head that collapses fairly quickly but sticks around as a collar, and laces a bit. sweet malty nose has caramel notes and a bit of fruit. nice enough, but not very "lager-y". flavor starts somewhat sweet and juicy, then finishes with a nice rush of spicy hoppiness. very round. mellow beer - seems to be dominated by a caramel maltiness. good enough, but nothing terribly special. as it warms, some toffee notes become more dominant.

rocbyter (2123) - Waterbury, Connecticut, USA - JUL 24, 2007
Moderate light yeast aroma. Clear orange color with a small white head. Malty start with a mild hop bite finish.