overall
RATINGS: 308   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.34/5   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 22   EST. CALORIES: 135   ABV: 4.5%
Jefferson Stout, Lazy Magnolia’s original Sweet Potato Cream Stout, is Lazy Magnolia’s version of the ideal Southern-Style Stout. Jefferson Stout is brewed with sweet potatoes and lactose (milk sugar). The sweet potatoes provide the background to an impressive taste with added notes of roasted chocolate, coffee and caramel flavors.

kaser (6430) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - OCT 4, 2013
Poured from draft at the avenue pub in New Orleans. Milky and light. Slight but taste. One of the milkier stouts I've had. Very good.

boozedude (2229) - Des Moines, Iowa, USA - OCT 27, 2013
On tap at bayou burger on bourbon st.. pitch black pour with a light body..aroma of chocolate and raisen..taste is similar.. like it

JustPlainLogan (58) - Galveston, Texas, USA - AUG 4, 2014
I was pleasantly surprised by this. I had major doubts about beer with sweet potatoes, but the flavor was very good, clearly a sweet stout. Palate was a little thin when compared to other stouts, but very good for being in a southern state. Very impressed.

Capa (3633) - DC, Washington DC, USA - MAR 22, 2015
Black pour and dark brown head. Aroma is earthy, roasted malt, a bit sweet. Full bodied. Earthy, roasted malts, bitter chocolate, a bit of black coffee. Not overly heavy or difficult to drink. Really nice stout.

beer_rookie (710) - Arkansas, USA - MAY 17, 2015
Pours a dark brown with a tan head, one to two fingers. No lacing. The color and the pour are pretty. Well, there’s some lacing as you swish it around.

Aroma is amazing! I smell coffee, but not real strong. I smell chocolate, but not too strong. I smell fresh cream, that is pretty strong. I smell sweet potato, but that’s not real strong. As far as nose goes, this is perfect!!

After al that hype and all that teasing with the aroma, the taste is somewhat of a let down. First off, it’s not a very heavy body. It’s thin, and it’s somewhat watery. However, I do taste the coffee and the chocolate. The cream is there, but it comes in late. The sweet potato is there, I can taste it, but it’s more in the finish and aftertaste. The more I drink, the more pronounced it becomes. But it also has a sweetness, perhaps molassess...? After all that, it needs some body to it.

Mouthfeel is too thin. Needs body, needs some bitterness too it. It’s slightly bitter toward the end. But the sweet potato (yes, I can taste it) sort of takes over. It’s more of sweet potato skin than anything. It could use some work.

Overall, this is my first ever sweet potato beer. I was excited to see it on the shelf. I’m excited to try it. I’ll be excited to try it again...just not this one probably. Not that I don’t like it, but I know there are other sweet potato beers out there, and I’ll search them out before I try this one again.

phaleslu (10913) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - SEP 21, 2009
UPDATED: MAY 24, 2010 Draft pint from Cooter Brown’s. Pours a very dark brown with a tiny tan head. The aroma isn’t particularly strong, but has notes of chocolate, roasted malt, cream, and coffee. The flavor is much stronger than the aroma leads you to believe, and is smoky, roast coffee, malts, and burnt toast. Creamy, smooth mouthfeel with medium-to-heavy body. Roasty, smoky finish and burnt toast aftertaste. Re-rate: May 21, 2010. I think this must have been too warm at Cooter Brown’s when I had it in September, because the sweet potato notes really came through this time. Bartender warned me and a few buddies that it would be an 8-minute pour and she was right. Beautiful dark opaque brown with a cascading brown head. The roasty and smoky notes I remembered mellowed out and were replaced with sweet potato, cream, toasted brown sugar, and just lightly roasted malts. So smooth and sweet, with some dark fruits coming through later and the creaminess growing. Medium-bodied, with low carbonation and a slick mouthfeel. Very nice beer.

nqualls (1452) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - OCT 22, 2009

Source:Tap at the Midtown Broadway Brewhouse.
Glass:Pint.
Appearance:Black pour with a half finger of beige head.
Aroma:Roasted aroma with a hint of smoke and bitter chocolate.
Flavor:Roasted malt dominates, without much of a hint of the sweet potato(?).
Palate:Medium body with mild carbonation.
Overall:Not bad. One of their better beers.

jodyperkins (78) - Mississippi, USA - DEC 29, 2009
I finally got to try this, it’s been on my wishlist for some time. I took my wife shopping, she took me to the mellow mushroom in flowood. Unfortunately, they have the habit of serving every beer icecold so I had to try to wait a bit to sample it. It was hard to get much aroma from it - definite maltiness and hint of sweet potato (could have been my imagination). Medium, dark complexion without much head (I have a feeling they poured it off, as I’ve seen them do that before). Nice mouthfeel. Definitely has a coffee/malt complexion. Very solid beer and easy to drink. Got better as it warmed. Can’t wait until this is available in bottles.

Shag (3061) - Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA - MAY 8, 2011
Black appearance with tan head. Aroma contains some chocolate, coffee, and smoke. Flavor is bittersweet with chocolate, coffee, and some smokiness. Aftertaste shows some coffee bitterness. Overall pretty good beer.

redlight (2325) - Orlando, Florida, USA - AUG 15, 2011
draft. Creamy vanilla on the nose with hints of chocolate. Pours black with a dense off white head. Creamy with bitter chocolate with vanilla notes and milk chocolate. Starts out creamy but finishes very dry, nice session beer!