overall
RATINGS: 767   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.19/5   IBU: 16   EST. CALORIES: 135   ABV: 4.5%
Southern Pecan Nut Brown Ale is the first beer in the world, to our knowledge, made with whole roasted pecans. The pecans are used just like grain and provide a nutty characteristic and a delightful depth to the flavor profile. This beer is very lightly hopped to allow the malty, caramel, and nutty flavors shine through. The color is dark mahogany. Southern Pecan won a Bronze Medal in the 2006 World Beer Cup in the Specialty Beer category.

SledgeJr (3577) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - MAY 16, 2010
On tap at the Avenue Pub in New Orleans. Pours a chestnut-colored amber with a thick off white head. Nuttiness to the aroma, but a mild scent. The pecan nuttiness is pronounced, but the malt sweetness makes this a bit too candy like to be excellent. Now that I see that the beer is 4% ABV, I think that they’ve worked wonders in getting this much flavor from such a small yeast catalysis. The Abita Pecan beer was a bit better.

Gustav1996 (333) - Birmingham, Alabama, USA - MAY 14, 2010
Poured a clear mahogany with a small beige head. Aroma & taste... mild pecan & malt. Medium to thin body... no depth. Overall: good/average. Nothing stands out.

crazyvin (2026) - New York, USA - MAY 12, 2010
poured a clear brown hue with a white head that was about a half and inch thick, no real retention. Aroma had notes caramel and a strong nutty quality. Flavor had good balance between sweet caramel malts and pecans. Smooth and easy to drink. Finish was somewhat dry.

otakuden (1783) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - MAY 11, 2010
As a brown ale, she pours with a respectably clear finish, much like polished brown wood and mahogany. Resting atop her luxurious depths that resemble the colors of pecan pie, subliminal suggestion at work, is a small but soft khaki head. Riding along the edges of my glass are glints of amber, but no lace. Leading my nose into the fray, I discover subtlety and finesse at work much to my delight. Cinnamon, nutmeg, and toffee crunchies lay next to a platter of toasted pecans. Take all the above, mix together, toast, caramelize, and voila, pecan pie. But wait, I’m not finished yet. The Southern Pecan Brown Ale is not a one hit wonder by any means; no, she is still a brown ale at heart and as such I am also enjoying layers of melba toast, rye and pumpernickel toast, freshly cut wood, floral esters, and a touch of lemon pith for my refreshment. Seeing as I’m off to a jolly good start, I’m ready to taste my southern roots. Delicately sweet with a gentle creamy mouthfeel, brown sugar and toffee toasted goodness glides across my tastebuds first, followed almost immediately by cinnamon-sugar. Rye bread and melba toast crunch underneath while lemon pith rides the current, brushing my palate clean for each subsequent quaff. Caramelized pecans sit most comfortably right in the middle of her palate and, consequently, right in the middle of my tongue. Is that vanilla extract? Licking my lips I taste more toffee with a hint of lemon pith, and I dive right back in for more. Not cloying or overpowering, she blends the elements of brown ale and southern pecan for a very tasty session brew.

I have very little tolerance for overly sweet things anymore, preferring instead a balance ’tween sweet and sour, salty and savory, so on and so forth. I had my reservations regarding the Southern Pecan Brown Ale from Lazy Magnolia, but thankfully I was proven wrong. Well done.

chaz01 (190) - Miamisburg, Ohio, USA - MAY 1, 2010
Twelve ounce bottle from the Beer of the Month Club served into a tulip glass. Ruby brown color, but very clear, with very little head. Roasted malt aroma with some nuttiness (what would you expect from a beer called Southern pecan)? Lots of malty syrupy sweetness in the flavor up front with just a bit of citrus hops. Beer finishes with a pleasant roasted ash-charcoal flavor with just a touch of warming alcohol sensations. Beer is a little light bodied with almost no carbonation at all. Actually, there’s not a lot of pecan or nuttiness flavor as you would expect. BOMC says that pecans are used as fermenting agent, not as a flavoring agent. I’d prefer a little more carbonation and body, but outside that a very solid enjoyable tasting beer.

GJF (1520) - Mount Vernon, Iowa, USA - MAY 1, 2010
Interesting beer. Very pretty ruby color, thin white head that doesn’t last. Sweetish aroma. Flavor is generally sweet, slight nuts and dark fruits. No real bitterness and lacking some body. Gets a bit cola-like as it goes. A little two dimensional but enjoyable.

punkrkr27 (903) - Berkley, Michigan, USA - APR 26, 2010
Dark brown pour with a 1-finger, off-white head. Toasty aroma with hints of brown sugar, caramel, fresh whole pecans and a slight noble hop spice. The flavor is moderately sweet with a nice balance of toasted pecans, caramel, and brown sugar with a nice hop balance and the end. Creamy, medium-thin body with soft carbonation. What a tasty session ale!

6ROW (473) - corpus christi, Texas, USA - APR 26, 2010
brown pour with a small tan head, standard brown ale not sure what the pecans add. great finish not brown ale bite

RedSox2004 (1928) - Pacific Palisades, California, USA - APR 24, 2010
Clear light brown with a small head and little retention or lacing. Roasted nut aroma with caramel and subtle dark fruit. Gentle sweet malts on the tongue, including some burnt charcoal, offset by a hint of hops bitterness. Thin, slightly watery mouthfeel, medium carbonation, and a lingering sweetness.

iabeerguy (392) - Iowa, USA - APR 23, 2010
Got this as part of my microbrew of the month. Read how this beer was brewed and didn’t expect too much pecan flavor after reading that they added the pecan to the grain. Brown ale looking pour, flavor is malts and nutty. The aftertaste is where you get the pecan.