overall
Brewed by InBev Belgium
Style: Belgian Ale
Leuven, Belgium

RATINGS: 3215   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.37/5   EST. CALORIES: 198   ABV: 6.6%
Keg and bottle: Filtered.
Uses Vieux Temps yeast.
"Leffe Blond is a pale abbey beer, with a full, sunny, golden colour. It has a smooth and full bodied taste and a rich creamy head. Like all the Leffe beers, it is a ’connoisseur’ beer that is easy to drink."

RblWthACoz (964) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - SEP 11, 2007
Pours a clear amber with minimal head. The nose is sweet and yeasty. Typical Belgian nose and quite yummy. Just smelling it reminds me why I love the Belgian stuff so much. Flavor is extremely sweet. Especially on the back end of the “flavor rush”. Strong yeast tones as well, but I find the flavor overall to be rather subdued. Perhaps after trying so many different of this level of brew, I am coming to appreciate a more unfiltered and raw beer. Feel is a little thin. Drinkable? I think it depends on your personal preference.

As I think about it, something in this brew reminds me of makeup. Weird.

milewide (2326) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - SEP 11, 2007
Smooth medium body. Slightly sweet. Modest but pleasant malt taste. OK, but not worth buying again.

1.1
GavinDropdead (1) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - SEP 10, 2007 does not count
Bottle has a best before date, in my case today is 9/10/07, and the date on the bottle is 10/28/08. Read into that however you like.

I’m going to say: this is a little stupid, this beer. Color is like a mildly darker version of malt liquor, sort of a Bud Lite. Not swill, but not nice either. The head peters out almost instantly. It keeps a thin ring throughout, but not one with much character or density. Its only too happy to cling to the sides of the glass, indicating a sort of richness it doesn’t really possess - in fact that might just sum up the whole bottle. Everything about this beer is 1/3 of the way there. But the head, thin and wanting as it is, it must be said, does remain for the entire session. Tastes pretty commercial, and I would argue that several American breweries have done the whole Belgian Blonde thing better than this actual Belgian. I have no information about this Ale, but I would not be surprised to learn of its broad scale construction.

The smell is fruity, with plenty of green grape and other sort of slight and buoyant fruits (pear, for example) and light silliness in the spirit of the aforementioned American malt shit. There is definitely a chemically, processed flavor here which backs up this assertion. Malt reigns on high, is what I’m saying. Maybe that’s why I associate it with its cheaper/more sinister brethren.

There’s a sort of "time to get fucked up" quality to it, in that it has a firm alcohol presence and bold candyish sweetness reminiscent of caramel or maybe just straight up sugar. One thing that separates it from the American Malt, is that is has a little body and creaminess to it. It lasts throughout, and while it is nothing to shriek to the neighbors about, its there, and you can’t fault it for that.

Further, with flavor in mind, some detectable bitterness sneaks up there for a second, but is just pummeled by that same exact alcohol and sweetness again and that’s who wins the battle.

I don’t recommend this beer, considering that it’s not terribly cheap, a fact made a little more insulting by the fact that its not local, and it seems that one should be able to do better in any place carrying it for a similar price. I am, admittedly, not a strong proponent of lighter beers, yet I feel this falls short of its own standards. It is hyper-refined and filtered, and this is something that confuses the entire notion of Belgian beer. It negates something Belgian beer lovers seem to love in particular, which is some meat and funk and complexity. Sadly this one’s over in a jiffy and I won’t really remember it.

fordest (2469) - Santee/San Diego, California, USA - SEP 10, 2007
12 oz bottle. Golden yellow with a decent white head. Aromas were fruity with hints of banana and spice. More spice on the flavor and a subtle yeastiness. Not bad.

riversideAK (6265) - Shoreline, Washington, USA - SEP 9, 2007
Yeasty aroma. Some fruit like banana notes too. Pours gold with a 1 finger thick head. Clovey bubblegum flavor. A little spicey. Very smooth and drinkable. Alcohol is masked. A little bit of metalic notes hang around.

kevd193213 (992) - Hope Valley, Rhode Island, USA - SEP 9, 2007
Golden blonde pour with a thick white head. Aroma of yeast and sugar. Taste of malt and faint vanilla. Great finish. Fantastic session brew.

MI2CA (1340) - Noblesville, Indiana, USA - SEP 6, 2007
33cl - BB 04/09/08 - Aroma is subtle yeast, bubblegum and rock candy. Pours transparent gold with a medium head and great lacing. Flavor is mild malts, yeast and some grassy hops. Everything is so gentle and uninspiring it makes me want to drink it fast and move on. Palate is clean with a little rust left behind. Non-offensive, just boring.

DownsouthGav (601) - Greater London, ENGLAND - SEP 6, 2007
Hazlenut and vanilla aroma, deep golden hue, medium mouthfeel, distinct vanilla and hops, sweet with some bitterness, finishes with a tartness. A great mass produced beer that got me started on better beers.

Wobbler (46) - IRELAND - SEP 6, 2007
One of the first Abbey ales I tried. I still think it’s quite nice. The sweetness is not overwhelming and is pretty well balanced. There is a faint chemicalliness to this which I’m not too keen on and I think it’s a bit too bland for the style. Still good though.

SamGamgee (2585) - down the whirlpool, California, USA - SEP 5, 2007
UPDATED: OCT 13, 2008 33cl bottle from systembolaget. Pours a clear gold with a white head that dies in a couple minutes. Aroma is not very strong with bubblegum, cottom candy, and dough showing through. The flavor is way to much malt, with not enough hop. The sweetness shows in a very exagerated fashion, and becomes overwhelming. Too much sugar left in. A little dryer, and we would have a solid beer. (2.6)

Rerate: One that I’ve been wanting to revisit lately because it was such an early rating, and I felt that my palate ad evolved substantially. Pours a clear gold with a thick head. Lots of bubble-gum and sweet malt in the aroma. Sweet and bubble-gum like with some banana and spicy yeast bite. More drinkable than I remember. Still a bit sweet an uninteresting, but a decent, drinkable Belgian blonde.