overall
RATINGS: 549   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.71/5   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 30   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
2013 & 2010 Gold Medal Winner at the Great American Beer Festival in the Foreign Stout category.

That time of year when the day seems to fade away. Drifting further into the darkness with each passing day. Volume 1 - Foreign Stout - Pours black with licorice, espresso bean, molasses, and black cardamom notes that give way to a feeling of self loathing, burnt opportunities and smoked relationships.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Glouglouburp (6103) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - DEC 25, 2010
In short: A stout with plenty of fudge, coffee and herbal hops. Very good despite being too boozy.
How: Bottle 12oz. Consumed almost 1 year after the beer release
The look: Brown black body topped by a medium tan head with good retention
In long: Nose is very roated with burnt cake, burnt wood and molasses. Taste starts with black coffee, lots of fudge, chewing tobacco, whole-wheat bread and cocoa. Then comes a surprising hefty dose of herbal hops and a little alcohol bite. Alcohol is a bit too apparent for a 8.5% stout. Nice Belgian-like lively mouthfeel. The hopping character of the beer reminds me of a local beer Naufrageur Raccoon that I like because of that very reason. Finish is aggressively dry, roasted and bitter, like eating dry bitter herbs with a shot of alcohol. In my honest opinion this is a good beer with a few flaws. Today is Christmas day and this year for Christmas Ive decided to give everyone my opinion.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
scrizzz (2223) - Bothell, Washington, USA - DEC 9, 2010
Big ashy nose, leather, engine grease and topsoil. Smells like my Uncle Jim as it warmed, the ash subdued into a arid smokiness that begins to dominate. Jet black with a small pale tan head. Very impressive on the palate, smooth tight body, gritty ground coffee middle and some chocolate peeks out here and there. Little chalky mineral finish balances out the aggressive roast in the finish. Kudos.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
otakuden (1783) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - NOV 6, 2010
Unabashidly black, there is no need for light in my life at the moment because I am happily enamored with this dark beauty before me. Lace abounds while a soft espresso crema head lingers as a solid blanket of fluff. Her nose? Wheres the caf because I smell fresh coffee brewing while my double shot of espresso slowly oozes its way into my carafe. Coffee may be my morning life-blood, but I could easily replace her with a solid coffee stout such as Fade To Black. Underneath her crunchy coffee and espresso nose are layers of chocolate graham crackers. Roasted espresso beans are coated in melted black chocolate for my snacking pleasure and that be all her nose wrote. Straight up coffee/espresso/black chocolate goodness and I am mighty fine with that. My first sup is dry, roasty, and of medium weight. Not too heavy, she glides across my palate just like a fine cup of joe should. Add some melted dark chocolates to the mix along with a side platter of chocolate graham crackers for dipping and I dont mind if I do. Easy drinking, she nonetheless is proud of her flavor profile which I am enjoying in spades. She only lightly dries my palate and for just a moment, dark pitted fruits flitter across my field of tasting. A few more sups of quaff and repeat and our relationship comes to her inevitable end.

Drinking a good beer cant be beat. The more I taste the more I am an affirmed flavorholic. Life is about living with as much flavor as possible. Thankfully Left Hand Brewing is there to offer me another pedestal of flavor upon which to merrily stand with their Fade To Black.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
drowland (8534) - Georgia, USA - OCT 25, 2010
10/23/10. 12oz bottle. Nice black pour with a small brown head. Light chocolate aroma with a nice burnt coffee and chocolate flavor that is very nice. Yum!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
cbfobes (2881) - Quad Cities, Illinois, USA - OCT 24, 2010
On tap at Maduro in Madison, WI, pours a very dark black with a nice tan head, the aroma is of chocolate and sweet malt, the flavor is of intense malt with chocolate and caramel, very drinkable and delicious.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Wheatyweiss (29) - Wisconsin, USA - AUG 13, 2010
Poured from a bottle into an impy pint. Pours a cola black with a nice thick head of cappuccino foam, decent lacing is left. Aroma is of dark, nutty roasted malt. Deep roast aromas give way to dark chocolate and light bitter from the roast. Flavor is dark roasted malt with a bit of vanilla. Middle POUNDS dry bitter cocoa and dark roast. Very nice. Mouthfeel is lush, thick nd very well balanced, nice. A very nice stout, would buy again. Reviewed on: 03-28-2010

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
zer0crew (119) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 2, 2010
Bottle. Pour is basically black with a tiny hint of ruby, no real head to speak of, just a thin brown ring of foam. Aroma is bit weak, maybe a little coffee. Flavor is of burnt malts and coffee, with a bit more bitterness than I was expecting. I was actually very surprised to realize its 8.5% ABV, since the alcohol is not overpowering. Low carbonation, very mellow mouthfeel. Has a bit of a malty-sweet taste when you lick your lips.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
troyc (2869) - Illinois, USA - JUN 19, 2010
[Bottle] Pours an opaque black color with a very small tan head. Aroma of chocolate, sweet dark malts and roasted coffee grounds. Taste is moderately roasted, burnt caramel, some peat, cocoa beans and light smoke. The alcohol is very well hidden. Becomes sweeter as it warms. Well made and nicely balanced. Much tastier than their Imperial Stout for sure.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
WesKBob (563) - Bethany, Oklahoma, USA - JUN 2, 2010
Pours a dark brown with ruby highlights. Medium white head. Aroma is strong coffee. Flavor is burnt malt and toffee. A decent stout, but nothing to write home about.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
LearninBeer (558) - Sterling Heights, Michigan, USA - MAY 27, 2010
caramel, roasty, coffee, black, minimal head, brown foam, light sweetness, medium bitterness, medium body, creamy, average carbonation, soft carbonation, long finish,