RATINGS: 850   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.88/5   SEASONAL: Series   IBU: 50   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
The Big Eddy Russian Imperial Stout was brewed at Leinenkugel’s tiny 10th street brewery in Milwaukee. This brew boasts a selection of 11 malts and grains balanced by three different and distinct hops. Dark and complex, with chocolate tones and notes of dark fruits, it is daring yet delicious. Travels well. Ages well.

Boutip (6490) - Gatineau, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 31, 2008
Bottle courtesy of Grub: Poured a pitch-black color stout with a medium dark brown foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of roasted malt with loads of sweet notes. Taste is also dominated by some sweet cloying notes with some light notes of black chocolate and coffee. Full body with oily texture and good retention and no apparent alcohol. I think I am going against the grain on this one but I just can’t like these super sweet imperial stout; I prefer them when they are more balance with coffee and black chocolate.

kosko20 (352) - Bemidji, Minnesota, USA - OCT 27, 2008
On tap at Blue Nile. Pour is black with minimal brown head. Aroma is dark chocolate, caramel, dark fruit and raisins. Flavor much of the same with some alcohol. Palate is thick and chewy. Too much going on to enjoy. An alright but slightly disappointed.

SSSteve (4006) - - OCT 28, 2010
12oz bottle. black under small, creamy light brown head. nose is a mix of dark and milk chocolates with a hint of coffee and even lighter notes of hops. flavor more hoppy than the aroma suggests and it brings out the dark fruit character and chocolate covered citrus flavors. a bit boozy and warming at first. hints of metallic at times. decent.

kbutler1 (1381) - Minnesota, USA - JAN 10, 2011
Bottle. From the most recent release. Poured into a tulip glass a dark brown/black color with a dark tan tightly bubbled head. Some lace as the head settles down. Dark roast, mild dark chocolate, tobacco, and almost a vegetable like aroma in the nose. Some booze also evident in the nose. Mdeium mouthfeel, too light in my opinion. The first flavor I notice is some mild smokiness that sticks around the entire time you take a drink. Sweet dark chocolate flavor along with some boose and dark chocolate bitterness to end this. I can’t say that I am falling in love with this one.

pushkinwow (2889) - Ottawa, CANADA - MAY 27, 2011
12oz bottle - thanks Kyle. Opaque black, small tan head that fades quickly. Dark molasses, malts, bit of anise, soy, chocolate and alcohol. Fuzzy on the palate, bitter but not overdone, huge malt and molasses throughout, full bodied, get the alcohol at the end. A good beer but too one-dimensional and overpowering to be great.

UDBeernut (2883) - Saint Johns, Florida, USA - FEB 16, 2013
Bottle jet black with no head. Slight off putting roast in the nose. Taste is mostly smokey, slight caramel and coffee. Slightly less than burly body. Crafty I’d say ;)

ThisWangsChung (836) - Leonardtown, Maryland, USA - MAR 14, 2013
12 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip. A: Pours a damn near pitch black color overall. The head is a three finger khaki shade featuring fantastic retention for both the style and gravity. Even better, the creamy texture leaves gorgeous rings of lacing down the side of the glass. One of the better looking imperial stouts I’ve encountered. S: This stout in particular takes the route of being VERY licorice-forward. After it warms up a bit, it develops chocolate, molasses, and subtle cherry tones. Sweet in general; while not to my personal preference, the aroma is quite well done. T: Again with the licorice. It tries to develop the aforementioned chocolate/dark fruit tones after a big opening salvo of licorice, but is still supplanted by licorice. The finish is a bit fruity and (pleasantly) boozy, with additional notes of toffee and marzipan. Roasted qualities are really subtle here. Generally, this one lacks depth, and the dominant quality isn’t to my liking. M: I like the softness here; but it isn’t quite thick or dense enough for me. What surprises me here is how the softness gives way to a dry finish, almost as if it were designed more for drinkability than savorability. There are some *faint* wine-like qualities (it’s vaguely tart, and I swear it seems a bit on the tannic side) in both the flavor and palate feel that I kind of dig. O: I’ll give it some credit here, it’s reasonably well brewed and an excellent effort from Leinenkugel’s. I just don’t really care for beers that make me reminisce about chewing on a big ol’ stick of Twizzlers (or even worse, black licorice jelly beans...shudder...) Luckily, this isn’t some black-licorice-jelly-beans jabroni in the RIS world, just a lower midcarder in the vein of Koko B. Ware. Put him in a match with Ted DiBiase (Old Rasputin) or the Macho Man Randy Savage (Founders IS) and he’s just going to eat a pinfall in 3 minutes - similar to this offering.

angrypirate06 (1388) - Texas, USA - MAY 16, 2013
Tap. Inky black pour. Large foamy brown head. Nose is metal, bananas, esters, ash. Flavor is ashy, earth, smoke, teriyaki, soy, chocolate, unsweetened chocolate, coffee. Bitter finish. Creamy mouthfeel with medium carb.

tom10101 (6229) - Quebec, CANADA - NOV 14, 2014
Bottle (12 oz). 2012 vintage. Pitch black with a medium fully lasting brown head and some lacing. Aoma is of liquorice, raisins, figs, chocolate and roasted malt. Taste is also of liquorice (cloying), moderate sweetness, raisins, chocolate, roasted malt and light bitterness. Medium to full body. Moderate carbonation. Lingering liquorice finish. Lack of balance. Too much liquorice presence. Not easily drinkable, even for an RIS. I wasn’t able to get to half of the bottle.

pnista (1007) - Bloomington, Indiana, USA - NOV 26, 2007
(I think this may have been a bad batch, as we opened three bottles and all tasted kind of shitty. I guess quality control, or lack thereof, should influence a rating, right?) Big dark dark brown to black with a dense tan head. Apples? Sweet. A bit of weird alcohol. No roast. No chocolate. Maybe some pine? This isn’t bad, but for an imperial stout, this is highly unusual, obviously. Big smooth body, a bit viscous with low carbonation. Okay, must be a bad bottle. Weird piney soapy taste. Sweet malt. A bit of roast and some very high fusel alcohols. Lingering unclean pine. Three bottles later, aren’t the big guys known for consistency? Fruit, phenolic and weird... not much of a chocolate aspect. No licorice. Nothing creamy. I’m not getting dark fruits. I swear I’m rating a different beer. As it warms to room temperature, this becomes more tolerable and maybe I can detect some chocolate peaking out. I just don’t know...